Blizz, I don't want to comp with people not in vocie

What kind of sociopath plays competitive without being in voice chat? I thought the entire point of competitive was to actually try, to put your best foot forward. But when I complain that people are missing from voice chat, you hear the same stupid nonsense you hear in quick play:

“It’s just a game.”
Gee, is it? Thanks. I didn’t confuse it with heart surgery. I know it’s a game. It’s a game I’m trying to play and you’re in the way. Go to quick play.

“Why are you taking it so seriously?”
I’m not. It’s just a game. But it’s a competitive game and I thought the whole point why to try. Why even have a competitive mode if people are going to just treat it like quick play?

This is why I don’t play competitive. I did my placements for the first three seasons and this is all I encountered. Tonight I tried again and, surprise, surprise, it’s the same old song. Children who are too good for voice chat ruining the game for everyone else.

Minimally, I need way, way more than three slots for my “Avoid as teammate,” tag. I shouldn’t be forced to team with people who have already decided not to try before the game has even begun.

8 Likes

When people aren’t in voice chat I’ll typically type something like "You guys allergic to voice chat? :slight_smile: " Sometimes people join and other times they don’t. You just have to roll with the punches. Not everyone is going to play the way you’d like them to. (The smiley face is important)

You can only do so much with what you are given. Alternatively you could use the LFG tool to curate the people you group with.

4 Likes

i was a tryhard and always in voice chat. Not anymore.

it‘s the most useless and toxic and overrated feature out there, at least if you are not in a premade and below diamond. More precisely in the metal-ranks where everyone struggles to get anything done correctly, especially callouts.

95% of time it‘s trash information, childish noises, insults and bragging.

Edit: And I even tried to make the callouts myself - you know, spread some positivity. what was the thanks for that? people who, out of pure intent, do exactly the opposite of what is proposed. THESE are true sociopaths in my eyes.

16 Likes

I am medically a sociopath, does this give me an excuse not to be in VC? :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s amazing to me how many games I end up in where I’m in voice chat by myself even in masters and diamond games. And even more amazing that people can live blissfully ignorant to the fact that their not being in chat is what’s losing us the game.

1 Like

I was the same way. Now I’m the first person to leave comms at first red flag.

My take on it is you shouldn’t talk to someone who doesn’t want to listen.

Also I’m an extraordinarily positive person and an optimist.

I’m just sick of listening to people dropping Nono words and flaming each other for playing like the rank they are.

If you want my buy in on comms idc if you want to win. If you’re gunna start saying stuff you’d never say irl taking frustrations out on teammates PEACE you can sit there and wonder why “no one is in comms?!?”

3 Likes

I cannot deny that I had awesome matches with VC and perfectly fine callouts, too. But this was like one out of twenty matches.

2 Likes

“My take on it is you shouldn’t talk to someone who doesn’t want to listen.”

And my take is if you don’t want to listen, you’ve already decided you don’t care about the game and you shouldn’t be in comp. It’s like showing up to play a game of baseball with no glove.

“I’m just sick of listening to people dropping Nono words and flaming each other for playing like the rank they are.”

I’m not out to flame anyone. I’m trying to play a team competitive game with someone who just wants to solo.

I need more Avoid slots or a competitive mode where everyone agrees to opt into voice before we begin. It’s competitive; if you’re not down to put your best foot forward, you should just stick to quick play.

“You should use voice in competitive,” is like the least controversial statement I can think of and I can’t imagine how anyone disagrees. It’s senseless. There are plenty of single player games in the world.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I show up to each lobby 100%. As soon as I see comms being distracting/disruptive I leave.

Sorry that bothers you.

1 Like

"I’m sorry but I show up to each lobby 100%. As soon as I see comms being distracting/disruptive I leave.

“Sorry that bothers you.”

It doesn’t bother me. It’s not at all what I’m talking about. I’m talking about people who aren’t in voice at all, not folks who leave after it gets toxic, which I couldn’t blame anyone for. They’re completely different.

1 Like

You know you can group up beforehand right?

3 Likes

So why did you reply to my post ?o,O

Additionally anyone below diamond and even arguably diamond has no responsibility to be in comms. More often then not in these low ranks it’s inexperienced players making incorrect call outs.

It’s insulting to a player who actually has awareness(ie. that flanker your shouting about is already accounted for and a plan to peel was in place before the call out)and game sense(ie. It’s okay if 5 players go one way while another flanks despite the one player who will complain and flame because tracer isn’t traveling with the pack).

I join comms despite this fact because I enjoy positive social interaction and helping others who want to learn. But you can’t expect other players to share my sentiments.

Source: I’ve played thousands of competitive games at these ranks.

Edit: Also fun fact I used to hold the exact same stance on this issue as you. The only advice I have is if it truly bothers you that much group up. Gl hf

6 Likes

Hulk raises his hand

I purposefully stopped joining voice chat in comp from season 6 to 12. Mostly, I agree 100% with what ioStux is saying on this video:

Tl;dw: It’s more probable that voice chat with randoms will be a source of salt than a source of teamwork. Stay on voice chat with friends because they are your friends.

“What about season 13 onwards?”

Symmetra 2.0 got deleted from the game, and I stopped caring about comp at all. So now I join voice chat for the drama, since whatever results come, I’m fine with it. I only play 25 mandatory comp games per season and get it done as quickly as possible.

4 Likes

I feel you. Take the LFG route. Trust me. You get to circumvent all of that nonsense.

I pretty much don’t join voice at all because it doesn’t help me. I’m pretty much fully deaf, so I don’t see a reason to.

The issue is the environment associated with voice chat. It can be incredibly toxic, discriminative, and just useless. Usually when I hear somebody yell, especially early in the match, I just leave voice chat. Can’t penalize/get mad at people who aren’t in voice chat because their reasonings are incredibly valid.

1 Like

and i want to play with people NOT in voice…

What kind of person goes around calling other sociopaths? Someone who gets tilted easily. 99% of games do not need voice chat. Until you get to GM. Stay in your lane and focus on your game play.

6 Likes

You’re in gold, even if everyone is in voice chat, odds are that nobody is going to give useful callouts and nobody will listen to your callouts.

If they are able to play at that rank without being in voice chat, then let em. They might not be in voice chat because they are just playing for fun anyways, in which case, they want to avoid toxicity. If they aren’t trying and are at the same rank as you then they probably will do fine w/o vc. Teammates not in voice chat can be frustrating but you just have to keep in mind who IS in voice chat and make callouts specifically targeting them.

1 Like