Blackouts and sour taste of -50 when you win the match

Hy recently ther are some blackouts in my city. Can you please explain why i get penalised with -50 sr if i rejoin and win that match.It realy dosent seem fair at all if the people didnt left during my absence.And with this fun nature of games with boom or bust it realy leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I think it’s because to implement that would mean that if someone can quit the game, come back, and not have a penalty? Idk, good luck on your future games bud.

Blizzard can’t know why you left. They shouldn’t punish ANYONE for being on the winning team and coming back to help with the win. I don’t care if they intentionally left and contributed nothing, they were still on the winning team and came back when they didn’t have to. I still get normal SR gains when I’m carried, why should it be any different just because I wasn’t there 100% of the match? This is one of the things Blizzard could not be more wrong on.

So if they came back last second and won it’s okay, but if they leave at the beginning and come back and they loose the game then welp -50 for leaving shame on you? I’m confused on how this would be fixed, maybe that’s why it isn’t fixed.

I think it’s pretty simple. If you come back and lose, you get the -50, because your absence more likely than not contributed to the loss. If you come back and win, you get normal rewards (or a smaller penalty than if you didn’t come back).

Heck, I’d be fine with still having the -50 but then give the normal +25 for the win so you net -25. The current system gives you ABSOLUTELY NO INCENTIVE TO COME BACK. Basically, you might as well screw your whole team over and not come back, because you lose 50 SR either way.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

2 Likes

You can’t abuse it since you have to WIN to not get the penalty. No rational person is arguing against penalizing leavers who don’t return or leavers who return and lose the game. But there is no way to abuse leaving and coming back to win. How can you abuse that? What do you gain vs just staying in the game the entire time?

Anyone: describe a scenario where that could be abused.

WyomingMyst Ah okay, that clears things up, I don’t play competitive as often as I used to, so all of this is new to me. Thank you and both of you have a great day! x3

Its not a matter of the match result being abused. Blizzard does not want a situation where a leaver deliberately leaves, and attempts to return to avoid getting penalized. Even if the team can win, the matter is that player is showing signs of bad leaver behavior (whether that leaver behavior is intentional or not) and by enforcing a penalty (which does start small at 10 minutes), they will be encouraged to correct that leaver behavior (including correcting any technical issues).

1 Like

Exactly. They literally DON’T WANT YOU TO RETURN. They want your 5 teammates to suffer a loss. So they give you ZERO incentive to return. Say “screw my team, I’m going to get a snack,” and get -50 SR. Do everything in your power to rejoin as fast as your PC will allow, and fight tooth and nail to come back from behind to win, and get -50 SR.

Separate yourself from Blizzard’s idiocy on this matter for a moment and think about what system would be better:

1. Blizzard’s current system (you get -50 SR and no SR gain from the win even though you did everything you could to get back in the match as quickly as you could and came back and saved the win for your team)
  2. A system where the SR reduction is 25 SR if you come back AND WIN, and then you get normal SR gain. You still are 25 SR lower than if you hadn’t left the match at all (you can’t abuse it AND are still penalized to discourage the behavior).

Bear in mind, I still think there should be no SR penalty if you come back and win, but I’m proposing a middle ground solution between complete idiocy and the logical system. Blizzard has a lot of smart people on the Overwatch team, so it’s baffling to me they can get a couple things like this so wrong and for no logical reason.

Nope game is still cancelled.

My friend disconnected at hero select.

He rejoined 7 seconds later, game still canceled.

This is the most idiotic thing blizzard does.

@Blizzard can you at least extend the time to one minute till match cancellation or so?
This gives those who suffer disconnection, Render Device Lost or failed load ins a chance to come back in to the game, most people esp those in groups of 6 are willing to deal with the 5v6 for that one minute.

If they don’t come back cancel the match as per normal

10 seconds is not enough

This is correct. You CANNOT rejoin and still finish the match if you leave a match during the cancellation period. The match is going to be cancelled even if you can get back within 10 seconds. I also disagree with this implementation.

I’m guessing these are just incredibly low on Blizzard’s priority list. They can’t possibly have such skilled and intelligent employees who think these are the ideal leaver systems.

I once had a brief disconnection in the game a few months ago, first in a long time. I was successful to return and help get a draw and I completed without penalty (because I was within the 2 minute window). Nevertheless, one member of my team became extremely tilted over the fact that I disconnected albeit for an extremely short amount of time. While his tilt and rage might be unjustified, it was still caused by a problem on my end.

Everyone deserves as much of a fair competitive experience with as few of leavers as possible. Your proposal does compensate for that ONE battle, but that does not give that player the incentive to stop and fix their issues. Blizzard is thinking about the scope of a player’s impact beyond one battle. Believe me I have had these debates for two years now among many players and Blizzard. I firmly believe the system is as fair as we can expect it.

But did he rejoin before the Hero Select Timer expired? That is the key, once the “set up your defenses” phase begins, the match will cancel.

Woah, woah, woah. Losing 25 SR and a 10 minute ban doesn’t incentivize me to fix my connection issues? Why wouldn’t it?

I once suffered a “Lost Render Device” error.
I could hear my team but I couldn’t talk to them.
Since my PC has 32GB RAM I have set up 16GB or so as a RAMDisk.
I have overwatch on RAMdisk so I load in fast.
So even if the game crashes or I get disconnected.
I have to close the game, wait 5 seconds for the blizzard app to allow me to restart the game, then I wait 2 seconds or so to log in.
Team is screwed, I get punished when I wanted to rejoin.

You are incorrect on this one. The match you personally rejoined must have been after the cancellation period elapsed. The match IS CANCELLED if you leave during the cancellation period. I’ve seen it many times where the player comes back in time, and it’s still cancelled.

Sometimes people crash you can have a rock solid connection, but if the server decides to drop you, you cant do much.

Do not confuse server problems (which happen extremely rarely) with issues that occur between the game server and the end user. This including your ISP and any network providers inbetween.

Right. Wyoming was trying to argue that if the penalty is reduced people wouldn’t fix their connection issues. That’s asinine. 25 SR is a lot to me, and if it happened during same high winds, I’d certainly stop playing for the day. If there was NO penalty, he’d have a very good point, and many people would keep playing in conditions where they knew they could get back in time.