Best approach to place high on new account?

the second part is true, you gain and lose a lot of SR in your first 50 or so games just because the mmr is not very “sure” about your real skill yet

there is no ceiling, but of course there is only so much SR you can gain in 10 games so it is somewhat capped, but you START at 2500 (or some say at the current median SR which is about 2350)

1 Like

Ok Time for me to start account no 4 lol :slight_smile:

I will have to make sure that I don’t solo que on placements.

hehe good luck then :slight_smile:

BTW Ares

Ive seen a LOT of players on the , lets call them “UNRANKED SERVERS” , that are level 80 e.g. (beyond 25xp) and still play QP unranked

Meaning they play QP with masters and bronzes in mix AND REFUSE TO DO PLACEMENTS ! ?

There must be a reason for these accounts that they want to surpass their stats before entering the 10 placements

Above u may have forgot if u haven’t made new accounts for yourself but as I’m on PSN and accounts are free , I can verify it for u

BASICALLY its as if Sparks correct :

BTW I think placing higher gets more difficult season after season as people learn the game better , so the competition gets worse every month and old timers have the upper hand

This account placed 2750 for its first competitive season, you can definitely place above 2500.

My advice is play what ur good at in an appropriate rank. Once it puts u with ppl way above your rank just fill with like a DVA or something that you can’t mess up.

See, the weird thing here is that you can get to Level 25, and thus, eligible to play competitive without having played Quick Play and only playing Arcade. (A streamer on Twitch known as Slayergramps had a Tracer-onetrick account called Sojun, and he played arcade only to get to level 25)

If I’m not mistaken, you can actually also become competitive-eligible by leveling up to 25 via “Practice-vs-AI” only (I’m pretty sure off the top of my head that Practice-vs-AI granted XP but I might be wrong), but I don’t think anyone has ever actually tested that.

You can definitely place higher than 2500. This account got 2690. Weird thing though, after playing ten games I didn’t get placed. Happened after the 11th. I have not seen that before.

1 Like

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761077623

Copy paste ^ ? ?!

Just play well in QP so the system doesn’t have to adjust too much during comp placements.

Its very much possible to place Master or higher on a fresh account but you would have to be Dafran.

It’s been confirmed that it does start with your qp hidden mmr as a base for the first placement matches. So yes, it does have an effect. Probably more significant than your actual placements since those can only bring you up to a couple hundred sr up or down each match.

where? you have a link?

just asking because that is not true, or how does Jake from outlaws get golds and plats in his placements after playing against gms in qp?

https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveHeadstrongWaspOSfrog
https://clips.twitch.tv/CooperativeWimpyBulgogiDogFace

This is correct. I recently made a new account, won my first 4 comp matches (I think my first match was against bronze or silvers) by my fifth match, I started getting matched with all diamonds. Your quickplay MMR only matters for your first comp match, after that your placement match performance determines everything else

Play a carry you know you’re really good at. For the longest time I was gold on this account and always played Lucio/Ana/Winston. Got a new account during the Christmas sale, just played Genji/Widow only and got placed like 27-28k or something like that.

Then next thing you know I bring Genji to my main and I’m almost diamond on here too lol

How you level to 25 is irrelevant. All accounts start competitive at around 2350 and have exaggerated gains/losses for 18-30 games (including placements). See Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted for gold placement and Streamer Data - Google Sheets → Rainbow 10 and Dmum 11 for pro-placements.

The better your win/loss performance and statistical performance during your placements, the better.

I’d also suggest doing your placements at the beginning of the season. Late in season you tend to get very random placement games that are out of your control: infrequent players, smurfs, and noobs all mixed together.

I see that your current account is Master. It is practically guaranteed that your new account will place lower (plat or diamond) and you’ll have to climb up. See the pro data above.

My main is high silver, bought a 2nd account and went tryhard in comp mainly as sombra since I have really nice stats with her 3-4/KD 7800avg dmg like 39+aim etc compare them to fitzy they are kinda identical of course solo kills are worse and I have that stats against silvers not against GMs but thought it would be best to play sombra to push. MMR real high and I was right Most of my QP games after the 7th 8th game I started to play against plats, masters mostly even met a 4000 tracer once but I checked every profile each game to find public’s and see what’s my MMR is, but since I’m not really an egoistic player I played mostly zarya in my placements so I don’t get hated for sombra but still managed to get placed at high 2700ish so my suggestion if you want to get as high as possible is play a hero in qp you can play the best without your teammates get a high KD and very low death rate seems to skyrocket your MMR and sombra is my favorite and simple to get a high KD/aim/low deaths

So the highest accounts I’ve placed as a high master player are

3550 (10-0) [This account]

3267 (7-1-2)

3003 (6-4)

Then I (unintentionally) placed a few lower accounts

2780 (7-3)

2600 (6-4)

2300 (6-4)

First of all, your QP MMR seems to affect the actual placement result, but not the rank of your first placement match. You always start in a ~2350 game. Then based on your performance in that match, it determines the path you start taking.

A big difference between the bottom accounts and the top accounts is how I leveled them. In the high placing accounts, I tryharded and by the time 25 rolled around I was in GM qp games (with some low ranks mixed in).

Another thing you need to try to do is completely and utterly stomp your first few placement games. Initial placements seem to have exaggerated performance based SR gains in addition to large base SR gains for wins. This means you’ll have more higher ranked games if you crush the first few.

On this account, my very first game was a 2350 game, and I went something stupid like 50-0 on DVa. The next game was a high plat/diamond game, but on one of the lower accounts my first game was a pretty close because I just played Lucio and chilled for an easy win without padding stats. The game after was only a high gold/low plat game.

Once you get into the higher ranked matches, play what you need to win. Unless you’re t500 you aren’t going to completely crush the diamond/master placements, so worry about the win rather than stats.

So tl;dr:

1. Tryhard in QP

2. Stomp hard the first few matches and also ensure they’re wins

3. Once you hit diamond matches worry about wins over performance, unless you’re a t500 in which case keep stomping

4. Don’t lose

As I mentioned above already, you can get to level 25 without playing Quick Play at all and playing Arcade only (streamers have done this). And if I wasn’t mistaken, Practice-vs-AI also granted XP, so you could get to level 25 and play comp without ever even playing against actual people beforehand (which seems like a terrible idea and I’m pretty sure no one has tested this before).

Wins have absolutely NOTHING to do with placement.

what???

i mean sure there is performance based SR, but you still don’t get SR for losing, not in placements or anywhere

try to lose every single game, why did you buy a second account tho?! you think things will be different?! go ahead buy few more its the same soup