Best approach to place high on new account?

Before anyone says “don’t expect to place high on a new account you’re at where you’re at” …thanks, but no thanks. I just want to start a fresh account and see what happens. If I’m plat, I’m plat. No sweat.

So, given that your first ever placements need to pull from QP MMR, should I focus more on winning my QP matches, or performing well during my QP matches? or playing arcade? etc…

Anyone with experience have any insight?

win all 10 placements, nothing will make you place higher

qp has no influence on comp at al

First grind quickplay for a year without ever touching comp, then do your placements after that.

YES.

BEFORE THE PLACEMENT MATCHES

A. Play your best from game 1 till level 25XP , NEVER QUIT a single game.
B. If u are an old-timer and u can FLEX try to PUMP various stats HEALING , KILLING etc. Before entering placements

Basically play all games to score 5 medals play payload also

1st PLACEMENTS

I disagree , the system is trying to WEIGHT U OUT , so your placements matter the most BUT the matchmaking on placement 1 match is going to be affected by the initial QP’s. Also only if u know how to play more mechanical - difficult heroes, that will favour you (see my examples)

1. ACC A : I started the game season 4 , was throwing , quitting , and playing symmetry = result was to stagnate forever in silver

2. ACC B : I played ANA only , and thats 8 months ago, : result 2400SR with only 4 games in placements won

3. ACC C : I decided to CHEAT the newcomers with Torb : result I won 8 placements and ended up 2200 SR

I don’t have a definite opinion , but above is what happened to me

well no, just watch one of the countless top500s doing unranked to gm/top500 challenges, you’ll notice they all start at ~2500 SR

this is at least since the removal of the initial SR penalty the case, which was i believe season 5 or 6

maybe it was different before, but now it is 100% not the case. and we have even devs saying that comp and qp are seperate mmrs.

Sure 2500 SR IS THE MAX ! :slight_smile:

My English is not that good pls see bellow

eh what? no, you can place higher than 2500 SR…

1 Like

Really! Thats news to me I will google that. I thought the MAX for VIRGIN ACCOUNT is 2500 and then u gain or loose 100 to 150 SR per game for the 1st 5 to 10 games.

OR

if its your second season, u end up more or less o were u were previous season .

Again Im no expert or master Im just talking about my experience

you can watch kabaji doing the unranked to gm thingy including placements on twitch Twitch

or for chat votes hero he plays here Twitch

if you win 10 placements you place based on your performance most likely somewhere between 2800 and 3500 SR

I believe u but there are tons of threads here (MEGATHREADS) that say there is

1. A ceiling of 2500SR for new acc’s and
  2. That after the 10 placements your SR will fluctuate 100SR up and down PER GAME till the MMR system labels u

the second part is true, you gain and lose a lot of SR in your first 50 or so games just because the mmr is not very “sure” about your real skill yet

there is no ceiling, but of course there is only so much SR you can gain in 10 games so it is somewhat capped, but you START at 2500 (or some say at the current median SR which is about 2350)

1 Like

Ok Time for me to start account no 4 lol :slight_smile:

I will have to make sure that I don’t solo que on placements.

hehe good luck then :slight_smile:

BTW Ares

Ive seen a LOT of players on the , lets call them “UNRANKED SERVERS” , that are level 80 e.g. (beyond 25xp) and still play QP unranked

Meaning they play QP with masters and bronzes in mix AND REFUSE TO DO PLACEMENTS ! ?

There must be a reason for these accounts that they want to surpass their stats before entering the 10 placements

Above u may have forgot if u haven’t made new accounts for yourself but as I’m on PSN and accounts are free , I can verify it for u

BASICALLY its as if Sparks correct :

BTW I think placing higher gets more difficult season after season as people learn the game better , so the competition gets worse every month and old timers have the upper hand

This account placed 2750 for its first competitive season, you can definitely place above 2500.

My advice is play what ur good at in an appropriate rank. Once it puts u with ppl way above your rank just fill with like a DVA or something that you can’t mess up.

See, the weird thing here is that you can get to Level 25, and thus, eligible to play competitive without having played Quick Play and only playing Arcade. (A streamer on Twitch known as Slayergramps had a Tracer-onetrick account called Sojun, and he played arcade only to get to level 25)

If I’m not mistaken, you can actually also become competitive-eligible by leveling up to 25 via “Practice-vs-AI” only (I’m pretty sure off the top of my head that Practice-vs-AI granted XP but I might be wrong), but I don’t think anyone has ever actually tested that.

You can definitely place higher than 2500. This account got 2690. Weird thing though, after playing ten games I didn’t get placed. Happened after the 11th. I have not seen that before.

1 Like

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761077623

Copy paste ^ ? ?!

Just play well in QP so the system doesn’t have to adjust too much during comp placements.

Its very much possible to place Master or higher on a fresh account but you would have to be Dafran.

It’s been confirmed that it does start with your qp hidden mmr as a base for the first placement matches. So yes, it does have an effect. Probably more significant than your actual placements since those can only bring you up to a couple hundred sr up or down each match.