Bastion Megathread On His Current Situation *Bug Fixed!*

Orisa’s shield melts way too fast against a Bastion. There’s like no point putting one up when Bastion is alive.

Good thing he’s not alive half the time then :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Id still like the Mei treatment, small buffs and fixes and he should be good. With Mei they buffed the Freeze and Ice shots, but minor, and shes been showing up in a few more games and doing well. Shes not a must pick or always good but better. If Bastion can get something like a 5% increase on ironclad or just a little smaller spread on his turret like the OP suggested, that would help a ton. BUT I’m most keen on getting the Configuration: Tank fixed (please)

1 Like

5% increase to Ironclad, 25% smaller spread on Sentry form and a faster reload time to match his reworked transformation speed would make Bastion feel so much less clunky and ineffective. I’m still a fan of reverting Sentry and Tank modes entirely because I think an immobile hero should be accurate and effective at long range, but just those three smaller tweaks would make a world of difference for the Bastion player without a huge change for Bastion’s enemies.

2 Likes

Bastion was too much of a feast or famine character, trading damage for survivability was a net buff that created significant problems for characters like Pharah and Widowmaker to dislodge him. Even if you reverted the changes to Sentry Mode, the issue is he isn’t viable in Recon Mode and will never be a playable character until he is.

Bastion is probably one of the worst characters they’ve created in this game, like up there with Torbjorn and Symmetra, because the only purpose they serve is to grief low skill tiers on ladder with extremely low input for output abilities that are easily hard countered by a counter pick or team co-ordination.

Let Ironsides apply to Recon Mode so that he isn’t a strictly worse Soldier 76 there, or give him another ability only in Recon Mode on his E. I think people who want to buff the turret have the wrong priorities, it won’t do anything to make him playable.

He used to shred Phara super hard though so didn’t this help her? She can stay well out of his effective range and just shoot him.

4 Likes

Pre-rework Bastion both easily countered and was countered by Pharah. From long range, Pharah could have three rockets in the air (enough to kill Bastion) before the first rocket hit, but if Bastion spotted her first he could shoot her down from nearly anywhere on the map before the third rocket hit if she didn’t have cover.

That is why I felt old Bastion was balanced. It was always a matter of who saw who first against nearly every other character in the game. Even Roadhog was almost killable before his hook landed, making Roadhog vs Bastion winnable for the Bastion by dodging the second shot from the hog.

6 Likes

That’s what I miss the most, being able to actually counter tanks instead of the other way around.

4 Likes

From there we can conclude that bastion is not made by General Electric.

Commie Bastion confirmed!

3 Likes

What does this even mean?

Just a humble console player who has recently became a Bastion Main passing through.
Would it be safe to say that Bastion is a character that is underwhelming by himself and overwhelming when he is pocketed?
So just a question to both the experinced bastion mains and the ones who sympathise with him.

As a seoerate note I had the idea of reverting iron clad like many seem to like and giving bastion 400 health (200 normal 200 armour) and making it so Bastion can’t reload in turret form. Forcing him to fight in recon while there is a cool down for his reload.
I know thats a big nerf, so you would need to give him something.

Ok here’s my opinion DekuNut, they need to stop nerfing sentrymode over and over again. They only nerf I’d find acceptable would be to remove ironclad but then revert the rest of the sentry changes too. The majority of Bastion mains I’ve met want a similar change.

This is a thread on this very change I was referring to on the old forums and it had 272 likes and 40 dislikes:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759286904?page=1

Bastion does not need anymore changes that force him into recon more than he has to. He is supposed to be a defender in sentry, not a discount Soldier 76

2 Likes

Here are my two cents on Bastion. I have a fondness for that lovable killer robot and his bird.

Personally I want to see Bastion in all levels of play(I can play Bastion at my lowly Bronze, but higher ranking Bastion is not viable.) so my ideas are meant to address that.

Bastion’s main problems IMHO are his lack of mobility without an adequate trade-off in Survivability and his lack of flexibility compared to other Defense Characters. OW was not balanced with Mobility in mind, so Bastion suffers from that lack of balancing.

Because of his transformation he is either slower than hell or at a dead stop for the sake of DPS. If Bastion is going to transform and be the transforming Hero, his form changes should be trade-offs.

I also think that the Best Bastion is Surprise Bastion, but currently once you lose that element of surprise you can’t really get it back.

I am partial to the previous idea of the 3 forms with a new Ultimate. That is close to what I had, but mine is slightly different.

My vision of Bastion: Transforming for increased Flexibility.

He does need old Ironclad back. Bastion needs surviability.

Bastion should have 4 forms: Recon, Sentinel, Turret and Tank.

Sentinel Mode is my new name for Recon Mode. Bastion in his humanoid form. Basically a cheap 76 without a run and more armor. That mode on its own is fine. Sentinel is also his default form. He has to be in Sentinel to change to Turret or Recon. Tank is still his Ultimate and can be done in any form.

Turret Form(formerly Sentry Mode): Has his Minigun. He can mow things down. His damage right now is fine. He can take down a full Reinhardt in seconds. Being that he is stationary, that is a huge tradeoff for the Higher DPS.

Recon Mode(New Version): I propose Bastion should get a form of Tank mode without a gun. It makes him faster, gives him a smaller hitbox and able to leap. Not like Winston but enough to get Bastion up to places he couldn’t go before so he can surprise people. But, it takes away his weapons. Why? It’s Reconnaissance Mode. It allows him to gather information and reposition, not deal damage.

If you wanted to give his Recon Mode something else to make it more active instead of a gun, maybe give him the ability to Mark Targets one at a time for a short period on a cooldown.

But those are my ideas.

1 Like

I rewrote the OP only to add in the drop down menus to make it more managable to read and also added ArcticGator’s suggestions.

2 Likes

Tfw you’ve only got a few like left and a Bastion megathread comes up.

2 Likes

Oh yes it most certainly will. Currently Recon is considered fine, sentry was fine before but after the change the majority does not like it. Ironclad just extends your death and it enables pirateship while he does do a ton of damage the spread makes 90% of it wasted damage that does nothing. This needs to be fixed. Old sentry was just fine as pirateship was harder and he was able to hit things and properly counter tanks. Dive with D.va+Roadhog+Rein are impossible to deal with now either because of his inability to hit things or, surprisingly, he doesn’t do enough damage vs him. He is priority number one in a fight and that means a D.va and Rein in his face together, he needs the headshots to deal with that.

Thank you! Even without a like it’s nice to have support for Bastion. There aren’t many Bastion players so the fact that this is still alive, even if it’s hanging on by a thread, is astounding to me.

4 Likes

That’s kind of his job. It’s why he does 500 dps in turret form.

2 Likes

we can work on him really. maybe give his ult an arial form?

I actually wonder if his HS removal is what allowed dive to excel. On one front, Hog kept the tanks at bay since he was a powerhouse back then and could hook-shot the Dva to instantly demech her), then the other Reaper was a joke.

Once the actual heros that utilized both Winston’s and Dva’s critbox as a form of countering got gutted, there’s no point in running the tank-counters since they can’t counter tanks.

I’d be fine with Tracer countering Bastion if I could could secure the kills on the tanks before I get solo-ulted with pulse bomb.

Even though Bastion can still shred both Winston and Dva, he can’t do much when everyone focuses him and his TTK is much lower.

I think I’d even be fine with headshots back over tighter spread. If he can reliably counter Dva or Winston then I can live with him, even if he stays in the relatively-low spot he is now.

Na, he needs more Tank IC for his ult to not be considered a joke. Back to 30-35% because that was the equivalent to his 150 extra armor he would get when transforming into a Tank.

I cringe every time I have to rocket-jump because I fear that I might blow myself up on top of being focus-ed fire.

Oh, and that’s assuming I last through my ult transformation in the first place.

2 Likes

The problem is you need spread in order to have headshots. If his spread remains giant it’s kind of RNG damage with headshots, if the spread is smaller, you can actually direct the bullets to peoples heads and none of it is RNG (unless they’re outside of mid/long range.)

4 Likes