šŸ’” Bastion ISNā€™T being forgotten, heā€™s being ignored

Thatā€™s why I ended it.

Iā€™ll butt in.

Solid B tier pick, always has. Needed QoL buffs that never came.

Completely ruined.

Sheā€™s now an esports hero, and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t get the golden gun for her.

They turned her kit from UP, to irrelevant, into bloated, into stealthbot.

She is the epitome of whats wrong with the balance team.

When you Duck up a heroā€™s balance as Bad as Sombra AND Dva, it shows you really cannot be trusted with such power and responsibility.

Then you also have the sideshow attractions such as Bastion, Hog, Junkrat, and Pharah who all got nerfed harder than their buffs.

Hanzo, Brig, DF to a degree, all go unchecked but heaven forbid you take away Junkā€™s second mine OVER nerfing his already-inconsistent primary. Heaven forbid you remove and revert IC/Sentry rather than gutting it and letting it rot for 21 months.

I feel the need to reiterate this.

Every aspect about this game has been poisoned. Bastion has been poisoned long enough, and if he isnā€™t cured, then all hope is lost.

My final chance.

So instead of talking about Bastion which this thread is about, you instead want to question my knowledge of other heroes based off my play history I donā€™t play, like McCree and Sombra, and next youā€™ll probably ask about Orisa? Well I donā€™t care for Orisaā€™s playstyle either so I very rarely play it either. However, I did buy Orisaā€™s golden gun when she was first released because I was excited and thought I would enjoy playing her. My excitement faded pretty quickly.

Orisaā€™s gun isnā€™t bad, but itā€™s not super great either. Itā€™s like super balanced. Her reload time is horrendous though.

Hanzo was just one example, a lot of other heroes are like this as well. Pharah, Junkrat, Sombra, to name a fewā€¦

Whatever youā€™re smoking, you should probably tone it down a notch. Go look at the meta reports, Bastion is always at the bottom in the category labeled ā€œF-tierā€. Heā€™s had one of the bottom 3 pickrates for his entire life, pretty much always under 1% pickrate, usually under 0.5% overall. Unless youā€™re defining F-tier as ā€œhas literally never been picked in the history of the gameā€, then yes, Bastion is F-tier.

I layed it out pretty plainlyā€¦ Not sure if you read that or not, but feel free to go back. You know what, Iā€™ll quote it for you.

Lower spread because itā€™s too high for his playstyle, change Ironclad because it promotes a bad playstyle.

No, I want them to stop encouraging him to be so stationary. Sentry should still be stationary, but he should be encouraged to use both of his modes, and not just sit in Sentry all day.

Because Soldier 76 doesnā€™t have the same playstyle of giving up mobility for a lot of damage like Bastion does should. I like Bastionā€™s playstyle, not Soldiers. If I wanted to run and gun, then I would play Soldier, but I donā€™t. I want to have a more calculated game, deciding when and where to set up.

Literally the opposite of that. If I wanted that, then I would be suggesting to put Sentry on a cooldown like so many other people that have never played Bastion seem to say.

Making Bastion a valid pick makes the game more unique, and less bland.

You would rather only be able to play Bastion for a short time during a match, and then have him be uselessā€¦?

2 Likes

Pharahā€™s been balanced in the way of other heroes gaining abilities to help counter her. So sheā€™s fine.

Junkrat has always been spamrat, thatā€™s just what the gameplay-style entails when you have a grenade launching character. This goes all the way back to Quake, 1996, custom TF. Before your time by about a decade maybe, but the history is there.

Pickrates is not a solid source to go by, because pickrate is determined by what youā€™re playing at the end of a match, if Iā€™m not mistaken. Not by picking a hero mid-game for a short amount of time during a match. Bastion is good to disrupt enemy formations, etc. Only a fool, or playing against a fool team, would/should you ever play bastion through an entire match. Nor should you for any hero. Unless that hero is one thatā€™s OP: Thereā€™s a few. But most, you should switch accordingly throughout the duration of your match.

So you want Bastion to be a Chinese knockoff of Soldier 76.
Or rather, Soldier 76-TF2 style with a different hat/skin ā€œBastionā€.

You contradict yourself.

He already is a valid pick, just learn when to use him and when not to?

This isnā€™t unique to only Bastion, far from it in fact. That applies to most heroes in the game. Hence the developerā€™s intention of making people want to switch heroes to counter enemy heroes, throughout the duration of a match.
Rock, Paper, Scissors. Remember?

Bastion = Rock
Ferret/Reinhardt/Orisa/Winston/Roadhog/B.O.B = Scissors
Genji = Paper
Hanzo = Nuclear Missile
Symmetra = the pavement that everything plays on

I donā€™t care about the balance of the other heroes, I care about how they counter Bastion to an extent that he canā€™t be played when they have one of those heroes.

I was born in 1996, but nice of you to assume Iā€™m 12. Always a good rhetoric choice.

Pickrates are what determine the pickrate tiers. Bastion is F-tier because he has a low pickrate. Thatā€™s how that works.

Pickrates should not be the only source of determining when a hero is balanced, but it can be a good indicator of who might need attention. And when one of them is so extraordinarily low, thereā€™s probably a problemā€¦ Yes, Bastion will always have a low pickrate because not many people enjoy his playstyle. Itā€™s fine if he has a pretty low pickrate, but when he has this low of a pickrate, that indicates a problem.

They are not determined by the pick at the end, theyā€™re determined by playtime.

So every team should swap their entire roster multiple times per match? Iā€™ll tell you now, thatā€™s not happeningā€¦ All heroes should be able to be played moderately well. Counters should be an advantage, but not an ā€œI winā€ card. You should be able to outskill or avoid your counters reliably given enough skill and practice on a hero.

Already addressed thisā€¦ not sure if youā€™re just refusing to read it or whatā€™s going on hereā€¦

How is that a contradiction?

Heā€™s not consistent enough to be a valid pick. If he were the exact same as he is now, but they didnā€™t touch his spread with his rework, I would probably agree that heā€™s a valid pick. But when he has a larger spread than a flanker (Sombra), and nearly the same spread as a shotgun hero (D.va), thereā€™s a problem.

They want people to switch when the situation calls for it, not for people to switch because the enemy team has this hero, and my hero is completely useless against that oneā€¦ Have you ever watched competitive rock paper scissors? Thereā€™s not much point, because thereā€™s next to no skill involved. No one wants to watch a million hero switches because the enemy team chose something that they canā€™t possibly win against. They want to see players outperforming one another.

Bastion doesnā€™t counter Roadhog, itā€™s the other way around. Rein and Orisa are a pretty even match. Orisa can outdamage a Bastion with proper shield and fortify usage, and Rein can get a guaranteed charge if he gets close enough, Bastion doesnā€™t have enough damage to kill him once he gets within about 5 meters or so (which he can do with the 4 seconds it takes for Bastion to break his shield). Real world scenarios will differ, but in a 1v1, most tanks have an advantage over Bastion.

Genji only counters bad Bastionsā€¦ Pharah, Junkrat, Torb, Hanzo, Widow, Sombra are more like paper.

Iā€™m not bashing on you for your age, but I hit the nail on the head. Before your time by about a decade. You were born that year, you werenā€™t a functioning person playing video games to gain some knowledge and experience of your ownā€¦ for about a decade afterward. Thatā€™s what that means.

I was playing games well before I was 10, but not shooters because I didnā€™t have a computer. We had a playstation and a gamecube. Either way, not sure what quake has to do with Junkrat countering Bastion. Iā€™m not saying anything about Junkā€™s playstyle, Iā€™m saying he hard counters Bastion

Iā€™m trying to keep up with this discussion but everyone keeps writing booksā€¦

1 Like

I usually just skip themā€¦ unless Iā€™m the one writing themā€¦

1 Like

Actually I was going to ask about Pharah, Widow, Moira then Brig. And Iā€™m not questioning your knowledge on them at all, Iā€™m asking you how you feel about them so I can see what your perspective is before I jump to any conclusions.

1 Like

I donā€™t dislike Pharah, Iā€™ve always been a fan of the rocket launcher character class, but Iā€™m not the biggest fan of how they interact with characters via explosions etc. because going back to Quake Custom TF, that was my favorite FPS of all time, and the rocket launcher in that game was a bit different. However, I like Pharah, but I donā€™t ever play her, not really. -She is very annoying to play against. But I wouldnā€™t say that sheā€™s OP or anything. Just annoying.

Widow I play sometimes, but Iā€™m really bad with her. Due to either my crappy mouse or just my bad twitch-response skills, hard to say. Sniper is another thing I enjoy, and in most games I do pretty well with, but I can honestly say Iā€™m like a 4/10 widow, so I donā€™t play her very much either.

Moira I just donā€™t like her playstyle. Nothing against the hero, but itā€™s not one that I enjoy. Thereā€™s only been 2 games ever that Iā€™ve enjoyed playing healer: WOW up to the WOTLK expansion, I enjoyed playing shaman resto healer a ton in raids, and DC Universe was fun playing healer for a while too.

Brigette I enjoy sometimes. I donā€™t dislike the hero. I donā€™t think brig is OP as everyone likes to band wagon either though. What she does have is a very expansive set of skills, which is where I can see a lot of peopleā€™s frustrations come from. She heals decently well, can easily make up the role for off-healer in a lot of cases, and off-tank if played correctly, or she can even play role of assassin. Though all of these roles, sheā€™s outmatched by proper hero selections. So there can be times when she may seem overpowering, just because she fills all of those roles, to some degree.

Oh and about Orisa: I always thought she should have a knockback or a short stun with her melee punch. Because she is after all, a giant robot, and its like her thing to stick her hand out and stop stuff right. I think thatā€™d be really cool for her. Just a little thing.

1 Like

I can appreciate your opinion and thoughts. I do agree that Bastion works great in situations. I believe that he just needs a little fine tuning, little number changes here and there.

I like this guy, Temujin!

Pretty sure Brigette is supposed to be a jack of trades at close range. Itā€™s up to positioning that determines a fight between Brigette and DPS/flankers. Part of the reason that Brigette is so effective is because she offers the base levels of each role:
-Above average tankiness (200 hp, 50 armor)
-500 hp shield that can be used for a short stun
-Single target burst heal as well as H/T for teammates and herself, adding to SOME tankiness in battle.
-Mace that can farm ult charge and whittle down targets as well as pass through shields. The same mace has a skillshot burst of damage that shoves enemies.
-Ultimate that helps a team mid fights whether she be on offense or defense.

Honestly she offers a bit of everything while still prioritizing support based features, however she lacks effective range and can be sniped dead with a couple hit, Pharahs, Widowmakers, Hanzos, and Junkrats all have advantage over Brigette in this regard.

I agree with you, Bastion needs to remain immobile but with the highest potential damage rate. Recon is meant for repositioning with the rifle as a deterrent. The Ultimate (Tank) offers a special opportunity for Bastion players to do damage while on the move or to get an extra bit of mobility to gain a vantage point on Turret. Part of why I love Heavy is the risk/reward for playing him, good positioning and target prioritization is important for characters like Bastion, Heavy, and Kogā€™Maw.

I just heard from the new Brigitte nerfā€¦ you know what? Fu** this game. No content, heroes trashed, comp totally not competitive, unbalanced teams almost every game regardless of the mode, extremely slow balance changes and complete silence. Sorry but I think thatā€™s it. The Brigitte nerf that the shield bash dont through barriers anymore is the same thing as moira stupid ā€œbug fixā€. More inconsistent melee attacks and now the new reinstall of the game that creates such a lot of problems that they cant even play the gameā€¦ have I mentioned Mercy already?

This freaking problems exists since the beginning of this year! Itā€™s been months and we got nothing. Just the old copy paste trash!

And dont get me started about Bastionā€¦

Exactly. These Bastion ā€œbuffsā€ are make or break for me.

Iā€™m done. all 3 of my mains trashed. NO lore. I have to play on EVERY new map. New heros are added to break the previous meta RATHER than being an addition to this game.

Literally just played 2 games on Rialto. Lost both because Hey, Iā€™ll go Dva and just DM while my entire team shoots the Bastion.

Not worth it, just chill dude. You go out swearing and itā€™ll only look bad for the rest of the Bastion players.

1 Like

Itā€™s not going to be 100% salt, but the frustration will show.