Bastion is being forgotten

You don’t seem to get it, nobody but Bastion mains seem to get it, he’s supposed to be in sentry more than recon. This has nothing to do with any stupid “point and click” things, that’s his main unique thing, and people are trying to find reasons we should never use it. Recon needs no buffs, sentry needs the buffs.

17 Likes

No, it all depends on how you buff, and how far you buff the hero that makes them OP.

When current Bastion is in a WORSE spot than he was before the rework that’s not balanced. Bringing him up to par, or even reverting him, will not make him oppressive.

As long as they DONT touch teh aspects of his kit that need touching then he’ll be fine.

THATS ACTUALLY WHAT BROKE HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

IIRC he only needed recon buffed, and heal while moving, but then they decided to rework his sentry and rework tank armor that then lead to him being nerfed BECAUSE of the changes they gave him.

Same goes for Sombra, they didn’t need to lower hack cast time, and people only advocated for a spread reduction. But then Blizzard dropped in the ability to disable passives, and it threw a wrench into into gears of balance.

Bastion just needs to be as good as he used to be, not better. THATS what ME, Terranguard, or any other rare-nonexistent Bastion main/player wants for him.

We don’t want to be the destroyer of worlds, but it would be nice if we could actually kill the enemy instead of sitting through focus-fire begging to be pocketed because there is nothing we can do.

You do not understand how how TTK works, and that’s his fundamental problem. He cannot kill faster than he is being killed. This is relevant with Tank Ironclad being GUTTED from what it used to be, and his damage got gutted in Sentry to compensate he got Ironclad, but that got nerfed and his damage was left unadjusted.

Once people complained about IC Bastion, they gutted him and left him to rot since NO ONE cares about him, or even realizes that he still exists.

11 Likes

I love this post. Great job. It’s a shame that Blizzard ignores everything related to Bastion on this forums though.

Not one word from the devs regarding Bastion since his rework over 1 year ago.
People reporting the tank bug that has existed for 2 years multiple times on the bug report section yet they still don’t care at all.

I’ve given up on giving feedback and reporting his bugs to Blizzard on Bastion a while ago.

6 Likes

If they gave him some type of mobility (on cooldown) while being in turret form so he could engage and disengage fights that could help him out…

Bastion isn’t fine? I thought he was.

1 Like

Mobility isn’t really what Bastion needs… Mobility is for flankers, and squishy small targets… Bastion is a Machine Gun.

Bastion needs better self sustain. Better: "Holding down areas"
And less: “Run away from any danger” -.-

A Bastion Should Be Hard to Deal with.
Hard to uproot.

Bastion isn’t a genji. Bastion is a Machine Gun.

14 Likes

I hate it when people who main a completely viable hero say this. He only breaks above 1% pickrate in bronze and silver and he only barely does it in silver in competative.

funnily enough, he’s played even less in QP than comp, he only breaks 1% in bronze in QP.

In plat, the chances of a Bastion being on your team is 2.16% out of all 6 slots and it only gets worse the higher you go.

13 Likes

I mean if you look at most heroes in the game their self sustain is their mobility . I shouldve re worded my post better. My opinion is that he should be looked at as an actual tank, heavy but can still move very slightly, obviously not like flankers and potentially could be the slowest hero in the game to again engage and disengage situations of pushing or defending an objective. That would make him even harder to deal with.

I think they look at bastion and want to make him better. I mean they tried once, but I think they struggle with him because of what they said when they talked about the torb rework. They want the hero to be fun, but with heroes like that it is hard to make them fun and not be oppressive to all tiers of play. Which is unfortunate, because he was one of the characters that drew me to the game. I am terrible with him lol, but he is a cool concept.

1 Like

Yes, because he’s situational, doesn’t mean he’s bad.

1 Like

If he’s so situational that he only works 2.16% of the time there’s a problem. Oh and that’s only the chances of him getting picked, the chances of getting a specific map or situation in which he works on like Junkertown puts those numbers into 10ths or 100ths of 1%

16 Likes

Bastion’s not “Situational” There’s a BIG Difference between Situational, And Almost never viable in any normal game setting. ever.

If we could switch heroes ANY TIME we wanted, At any moment, THEN You could call Bastion “Situational” But no, we cannot magically have Bastion at the very moment that one would be needed.

To play a character, means being in any situation that comes up, While you are playing them. not just in the 1% Of the time that you will be needed.

10 Likes

I’m not gonna lie

Bastion most likely will never be in a much better spot than he is now if he’s going to have a “sentry” mode. It’s very niche and while it can work it forces players to play around you other than the other way it’s supposed to work in this game.

Bastion is never to likely be exciting to play unless they essentially gut the way his ult works / sentry or empower them both and make recon terrible.

Does any of this sound fun to you? It sure looks boring to me at any rate.

1 Like

You have 3 hours on Bastion so obviously you don’t find him fun anyways and 272 people think buffing sentry would be fun and only 41 (including you) don’t from this post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759286904?page=1
I have met almost no Bastion mains that do not want sentry buffed in some way.

13 Likes

Yeah I haven’t seen it in awhile but I’ll just keep the thread open in a new page so I don’t have to dig for it again if it gets lost.

Also thx for the quote advice.

Now for some QQ replies:

Shouldn’t matter. You need to know how to plays out now, so you can see how weak he is (along with his few strengths) and learn his basic fundamentals like playing as a team, proper positioning, and aiming.

Play him now, then when he gets buffed you’ll be more effective at him.

He’s in this hot mess because people wanted him buffed in the first place, but didn’t know how to play him and expected an ‘ez no aim’ hero when he’s completely build around it AND positioning.

He’s not fine. Prior to his rework, he wasn’t in any meta, but he was at least usable in most situations and maps. Now after his rework he’s only used in pirate ship, with is a stretch, since his list of counters is ever-growing.

He needs light buffs, not to be hit with the buff bat like he was back when he got reworked, which lead to a crippling blow from the nerf hammer.

If you just sit and spray then yes, it gets old. But ask me or Terranguard any of the countless times we’ve stopped a riptire, or got airshots in Tank mode.

You have to actively learn him to have fun with him, unlike most heros where you are effective and engaged from the get-go.

Is that what you think us Bastion mains/players pick him for? You’re so wrong.

He’s already down an ability since RMB or E (idk which, since I don’t use default keybindings)

And pocketing is never the solution, because Pharah’s balance rides on pocketing for relevancy and outside of it she’s as fragile as a 1000 year old vase.

I wouldn’t mind, but keep in mind he has 20% in Tank/Sentry too, so adding 30% will make him more OP during the days of 35% Ironclad since he now has 50% DR when sentry+healing, meaning a Dva nuke would only do 500 damage to him, but her ult is also radius-based. If you start comparing other ults that don’t do a whole lot of damage, like riptire (400 damage) it wouldn’t be enough to kill him, which was his problem back with 35% Ironclad.

It’s because of how irrelevant he is. Is fanbase is small and mostly quiet, except for Terranguard and me are causing a stir.

I don’t want to blame the Devs for talking in other threads that are light-hearted, but it’s a completely different feeling when he’s not even mentioned in the T-tier report where he’s actually in the worst possible spot in this game, and has been there far longer than Sombra, as his only relevancy was 1 week of 35% Ironclad.

No, no more IC. He needs his damage compensated at the very least. They took away 1 leg from his stool, and now players like Terranguard and I are trying to balance on just 2 legs. It’s near-impossible except for that 1 impossible spot where we still somehow make him work.

Mercy’s only been there for a month now, maybe longer. When her 1-year anniversary is here, then we can talk about her. Bastion didn’t even have the luxury of being the meta for 6 months, he only got a week.

Still doesn’t excuse the fact that his damage wasn’t compensated when his IC got rightfully nerfed.

Come back to me when you have more than 5 hours on him because right now you’re speaking like you know how he plays out, when you just barely played him.

And the word you’re looking for is ‘niche’ and Bastion’s niche is barrier busting which is a lame way of saying Dive is better at avoiding barriers than Bastion is at destroying them.

Barrier busting isn’t working for him. Stats prove it.

Either way, his damage needs to be upped.

That can be said of any hero though. That doesn’t give a free pass to keep them as the worst hero in the game for 2 years now -1 week of 35% Ironclad.

Lucio can also heal.

The armor won’t do much when you can shoot at a Bastion, miss him, and it still registers as a hit.

She works better with tank-strong comps than she does with Bastion. And no, Bastion won’t be a counter in that situation because we already have DPS.va and mowing through 3-4 tanks is impossible since his damage got gutted back during his rework.

Seen, and doing are 2 completely different things. I’ve seen Tracers, Genjis, Zens, and Dvas carry in the OWL. And if you have proof of someone carrying with him above masters then please link me to the VOD. I’ll just say this right now, if it’s Kolorblind then just note that he also wants buffs for Bastion because he’s still in an awful state.

Plus anyone can carry when they have a Mercy rod up their bottom. Bastion is no exception.

The f-tier heros at least got mentions from the team. Bastion hasn’t even been mentioned since his rework that failed.

Nope he’s the least picked hero in the game. Even if he was used in very specific situations (like barrier busting) he wouldn’t be at the bottom of the roster.

Against?

Neither is teleporter hunting or trying to flank behind and destroy the shield gen camped outside of spawn on 2CP.

Same.

I don’t want him buffed to become easier to play, because that’s what his rework did and it only BROKE him. I simply want him to be better at what he does, to be compensated for the TTK that became imbalanced when they nerfed IC.

Like I said, I don’t want him to be a destroyer of worlds. I just want him to kill and not be a sitting duck while he tickles the enemy.

That’s not going to stop me or a few other from making it loud and clear that he needs to be looked at.

Actually since her nerf that gutted her, she actually shows balanced stats. The only part her nerf gutted was her ‘fun’ aspect.

The Mercy mains still play her and despite what people want to think about her, she’s balanced.

Plus Blizzard didn’t gut her like they did Bastion a week after his rework, and she went on to lead a 6 month meta.

Which will never work out because Soldier will always be better than a recon Bastion. If you make recon better than Soldier, then Bastion becomes the new Soldier and Soldier falls into oblivion.

*and Tank.

They nerfed it when his IC got gutted, so now the 150 extra armor is just a memory of when Tank was a viable ult.

Does nothing for him though. No point in engaging when he can’t secure a kill on anything other than a Dva diving him and is standing point-blank in front of him.

Nope. Least picked hero in the game, and many more holes in his stats that say he’s in a bad spot.

His rework made him oppressive. Before that he was balanced.

As long as Ironclad exists sentry will always seem scary and oppressive. Before his rework, it was the same way, but with him being fragile it meant that you either killed him, or he killed you. Now, you can stand 20 meters out and shoot back at him and he either has to use up his heal, or reposition and lose his %20 IC meaning he’s stuck in a .5 second animation and can’t heal either. It’s death/soon to be death. It’s a lose/lose.

That’s completely different from him being UP. Sure, I can live with the fact that hes not liked, but HOW he plays out is atrocious. Just because he’s not liked shouldn’t exempt him from being balanced for those that do play him.F

7 Likes

Ok guys so here’s a tip : don’t always try to kill people in turret mode.

His dps in robot mode is comparable to Soldier’s. Sure he has less mobility but he can heal himself more.

At lower ranks (plat and below), I’m fairly certain you can play him on a lot of maps and do just fine.

I’m all for bug fixes but otherwise I don’t see any reason to touch him and I guess I’m not the only one since he hasn’t changed in a while.

2 Likes

Bastion… unfortunately is the victim of several issues. The net result being… he really doesn’t fit the game very much. :confused:

One of his biggest reasons he has problems is the same reason Reaper has problems. Why ANY “Tankbuster” will always be low tier.

“Let’s make a hero, who is great at fighting tanks. A “tankbuster!” as they are so called.”
New tankbuster gets released. They make him great at his job. He can smash tanks. They make him slow to offset his power, but still, lots of power.

The DAY he gets released to PTR, I’d say after a few days, but Brig was adjusted and had numerous complaints in less than 24 hours so the first day he is already getting complaints of being OP.

Why?

Because he can do large scale damage to kill a tank before they can be healed. That’s his job. One problem. What stops him from doing this large scale damage to Tracer? Or Genji? Or ANY other hero under 500 HP. Sure, he is so slow he can only kill one hero every few seconds, but that’s all he needs. He just needs to kill who is the biggest threat at the time, and more often then not it’s NOT the tank.

So how do you do it? How do you make a hero that can take out tanks consistently, without also being a threat to the golden children? Or making them too strong against the low HP heroes?

Bastion other issue is… at his very core Bastion is a turret. A powerful, non-moving machine gun. That doesn’t fit most of the time in OW, beyond “protect the president.” This is a game where movement is important. Taking away or changing his turret playstyle would change the very essence of the character. Too much power, and suddenly everyone dies in moments to him. Too little, and he’s a mosquito.

So let me get this straight…

We SHOULDN’T Use the Machine Gun, That this character is DESIGNED AROUND To get kills?

I’m sorry, but… Next argument? :joy_cat:

9 Likes

You’re right I don’t, but I’m trying to feel for you guys because it’s pretty easy to counter Bastion too if you coordinate it. Bastion simply dominates those that get frustrated in a pirate ship setup or other cheese which is why the community dislikes him more than he should. It’s sorta like getting killed by a hanzo scatter but you can’t do anything with that whereas Bastion you can… he just gets hated anyway.

If you want sentry buffs with recon nerfs then power to you but I think that’ll only make him even easier to be countered, especially a sombra.

No clue in the world what can be done about his ult, it’s pretty strong imo but maybe he can get a second ult so he can decide which ult to use? I mean he’s sort of like a transformer so that could be interesting.

1 Like

I am really shocked how many really bad comments are here. Wow.
I am a day 1 bastion main that mained him hard (onetrick) till the change… and then never again (ok this season I started playing him VERY often just for fun… and you can see it at my SR…)

1. Sentry needs a buff: Headshots are very good because it rewared aiming. The spread also. They destroyed both so… at least buff one of the points.

2. Tank needs a buff: We all know that it is a suicide button. More defense (35%IC) and bugs fixed (maybe even remove self damage!)

3. You can’t say that he should be bad because he is opressive. Give him a higher skill to be effectiv (sentray revert!!!) because everyone can play him right now…

4. There was never a rework that failed so hard! Even mercy is PLAYABLE right now after a hundred of nerfes!

5. Situationmal heroes are all in a bad spot. Why? Look at Genji, Dva, Tracer… and then back to bastion and the other. Thats not fair.

6 Likes