👸 Bastion is a woman! Confimed by PvE?!

So I was playing as Ashe in Blood Moon Rising and we had Bastion. “She” went down and Ashe’s callout is “Somebody get her back up” I saved the clip and replayed it about 15-25x to be sure and yeah Ashe spilled the beans and says “her”

Granted these are “storyline” voicelines it’s makes sense they would use the correct gender canonically. Kinda blew my mind when i realized what I heard.

38 Likes

Chu had confirmed this years ago I think.

2 Likes

Chu said Bastion doesn’t have a gender. Heroes in game just seem to kind of call it how they feel like calling it.

120 Likes

Many genderless inanimate objects are referred to as “she,” particularly vehicles and weapons. And Bastion is a weapon…

106 Likes

Just saying most heroes use a gender neutral saying or use the heroes name directly. Such as mercy will say “we need to revive them” or “Tracers down” Ashe however calls them by specifics genders and I think off the top of my head is the only only who does so and maybe baptiste.

3 Likes

bastion is a machine. what meds are you on?

29 Likes

Ana’s ult line uses the masculine version for Bastion, doesn’t she? I don’t think Bastion specifically has gender, it’s just a kind of here or there thing for pronouns I suppose…

9 Likes

Ana uses a feminine language when she nanoboosts it too iirc.

Edit

It’s when she sleeps it apparently doing a quick google search

7 Likes

Ana uses the feminine version, but it’s more to do the linguistics of the language than actually meaning anything to do with Bastion’s gender

Like how a table or a car is treated female when speaking French I guess?

14 Likes

2bh, specifics doesn’t matter, bastion’s mannerisms natrually fits female more anyways.

She kinda feels like an opposite side of Ashe.

1 Like

I mean Orisa’s a machine too no problem gendering it as a female though.

4 Likes

Because she’s programmed to be, just as Zenyatta and Mondatta are male.

7 Likes

Bastion’s AI is less sophisticated than the other Omnic heroes. It can’t even talk. It’s a wonder that it’s even capable of behaving the way it is all, which is what made Torbjorn question what he knew and take Bastion in. Bastion is supposed just to be a gun, nothing more. And yet somehow, Bastion has a gentle nature

19 Likes

Thats because Orisa was programmed much more complexly, she was made by Efi to have her own desires and thoughts and she was programmed to identify as female. bastion was programmed to kill, thats it.

9 Likes

Humanoid omnics usually choose their own gender, especially through their voice and frame design (Zenyatta/Mondatta being male, Luna the cabaret singer being female), while a few specifically identify as genderless (Lynx)

Quadropedal omnics are usually not gendered (OR15 bots that slashed Rein’s eye and stabbed Col. Balderich in Honor and Glory), although exceptions exist like Orisa, who Efi created to sound and resemble an obviously female African woman

Others usually have no gender (Bastion, giant explodey ball, slicers in uprising etc) although the audience can decide for themselves

I personally view Bastion as a child-like male, it’s just an energy “he” gives off to me

15 Likes

Keep in mind that it may just be an idiosyncrasy of dialect. A lot of people with this accent use 'er, as in “get ‘er runnin’ again” to refer to a machine or object.

10 Likes

I think it was an OR14 that did that to Rein, sorry to correct, just felt like it. lol But, yeah, the OR units with the acception of Orisa due to programming.

Now whose to say Torb won’t make Bastion identify as male in OW2 xD

Bastion is more feminine than most Omnics.

Wide hips, protruding chest, massive huge absolutely gigantic… ballistics.
If you know me you’ll know exactly what i mean. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10 Likes

Wait, hol’ up… hips… chest… gigantic weapon… hm… :thinking: Checks out, for now… gigantic weapon… gigantic weapon… Hol’ up! Are you suggesting what I think you are? :thinking:

5 Likes

I would went with “ballistics”

2 Likes