Bastion 3.0 rework concept

Not at all.
See my post above.

I did, I disagree with you that Bastion should be able to deal with Pharah or Widow at mid long range in Sentry mode. Swap to Recon for that.

That’s how they counter air targets in real life, they shoot a whole bunch of bullets at it… Bastion should be the best answer to Pharah. He shouldn’t do a ton of damage across the map, but he should be able to at least get her to drop out of the sky.

With current Bastion, you can sit on the little nub on Volskaya B and shoot a Pharah that’s hovering above the wall at the choke, and she will take so little damage, that a Mercy can easily outheal it. I’ve done it… multiple times…

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand how games work. He does have 450 dps, but that doesn’t matter if none of his bullets hit. From the two walkways on Numbani first point defense you literally, no joke, cannot hit a Reinhardt fully. That’s a problem.

Basically he just about never does full damage. He has the damage but almost never deals it.

That’s the issue, you’re telling us to never use sentry in normal engagement ranges for a midrange dps.

Interesting balance stuff, but Im a bit hesitant on making tank E, and making a new ult.

The way I see it, it could be a bad trend to start creating ‘mini’ ultimates, where you take the ult, dumb it down a bit to be used as a new off skill, then creating a new ult on top of it.

We saw that with mercy, more or less, and there were balance issues associated with it that are part of why Mercy is a problem to balance currently.

I think putting “mini-ultimates” on a bunch of characters is probably a bad idea, but I think it makes a lot of sense with Bastion. Tank mode is just another transformation just like Sentry and Recon, it kinda makes sense to let him use it more. And with Molten Core being taken away from Torb’s ultimate spot, it’s not like they’d have the same ultimate anymore if this were to go through.

I think that Tank on E was an idea even before the Mercy rework. I know it originated on the old forums, but I don’t quite remember the timeframe.

2 Likes

Mercy had a rez, theres a difference between a damaging ult and a bring back to life ability.

No, no no no.
Bastion fires too many bullets per second to have a 2x multiplier for “crit hits” in turret mode. Make it 1.5x

Tracer has a higher rate of fire

I’m fine with 1.5x crits (though they should probably leave his damage at 15 and not touch the barrier damage if that were the case), I just saying Tracer can shoot faster, and she has crits

3 Likes

But Tracer’s guns have a 1 second cooldown frequently. Bastion’s turret gun has a 9.2s uptime for bullets if constant stream, with a 2s cooldown.

Since Bastion can score more critical hits due to the more constant stream of bullets, I think its critical reward value should be a little less than heroes which require slightly more finesse to achieve a critical hit.

That isn’t to say critical hits are hard to get in the first place with most characters that have them enabled.

Same, drop the damage against barriers to normal. Rein main would hate it plus imagine the chaos in low ranks.

With 250 ammo, Bastion can only shoot for 8.3 seconds, not 9.2. And with 300, he can shoot for 10 seconds…

Yeah, I think either 12 damage and 2x crits (12 * 30 = 360, 360 * 2 = 720) or 15 damage with 1.5 crits (15 * 30 = 450, 450 * 1.5 = 675) is probably fine. It puts him at the highest potential DPS again, but not quite as high as before (which was kinda overkill anyway…)

Oh, and the 12 damage has a 1.25x damage to barriers to keep him at 450

Oops! I think I averaged the bullet-per-second numbers from the ammo counts somewhere along the line while I was thinking about that post.

That’s kinda what I was going for, and what I want for Bastion’s Sentry form: Reward Bastion for better tracking, give it great DPS potential, but not to the point where it’s too oppressive and feels unstoppable.

Edit: I feel that “spray ‘n’ pray” is one of Bastion’s main draws when it comes to its role in a team. I want spray ‘n’ pray to be a powerful tool for Bastion, but do not want it to be overly rewarded. I think this will also draw a bit of a line between “good” and “great” Bastion play outside of Tank form, which would go a long way in terms of associating “Bastion” with “skill.”

1 Like

Hmm I think thats not a useful distinction, so much as if its a power balance issue (whether its dps or support based).

Obviously Res is powerful as a skill, but having tank on command might create a wierd issue of to much power in his kit. He could (as an example) be to good at everything.

Though on the flipside, it would allow for him to be used in more situations as both defense and offense.

If this thread says how it balances the tank then you could check that it varies from current tank ult.

Yeah, I saw that. It is a bit different. Problem with these kind of things is its a bit of speculation cause in theory something works, but in practice it can go to hell real quick.

Not saying this would be OP. Could be very well a case of it being UP in practice. Not opposed to this being a PTR thing though. See how it plays. It would be fun, admittedly, cause I do like bastion as a concept.

All we can do is to pump ideas, its up to them how they balance it.

We cant get it right without all the meta data thats hidden from public eye, all the stats to compare across all other heroes. To check the balance on paper first.

Bastion is a living AA emplacement lol

1 Like

Not exactly. The way I see Bastion is that he have very specialized forms for specific situations. And that it’s a problem that Recon is not as useful as Sentry,even in situations sentry is supposed to be weaker (mid to long range, against non tank targets).

It’s OK if you disagree, everyone have their own vision on what they think each hero is supposed to do. I’m just sharing mine.