Baptiste - Developer Q&A

What was the balancing of Baptiste’s immortality field like? Was it difficult? Did it have multiple version? Were some people just coneplete against the idea of something that made you immortal?

3 Likes

Why did Baptiste change his hair style?

I really want to know.

2 Likes

Was there ever a time in which you guys considered the possibility of Baptiste deploying Heath packs? I’d guess that from the artwork.

3 Likes

They did this with Brig too

Did Baptiste really not know what Talon was or what the consequences would be if he joined ANY mercenary group? Or did he just ignore it in an “ends justify the means” type attitude? (He did use the money to build a clinic after all).

2 Likes

No question about Baptiste but I really want to know about the Game editor.

1 Like

Baptiste’s area heal ability feels like he’s stepping on Lucio’s turf. As far as I can tell (I’m console so I can’t try him out) it’s near identical to Lucio amping his heal aura; a radius heal with a long cooldown. But Baptiste has a spammable heal grenade in addition to that and—at least from the look of it—a much deadlier gun as well.

With Lucio’s speed aura being nerfed in the same patch, (and Lucio needing an ult to cancel an enemy ult while Baptiste seemingly can frequently shut down most with a regular cooldown ability) what purpose does Lucio have once Baptiste is released and how does he not fade away into obscurity. Boop alone doesn’t justify taking him over Baptiste and wall-ride (being buffed) only benefits himself.

1 Like

Hello and thank you for the QnA opportunity!

I’m a second year Game Design University student interested in gameplay and interaction design. My question is what kind of process takes place for developers to try and interlink Baptist’s abilities to fit with the theme of his lore?

Thank you!

6 Likes

honestly how long does it actually take to write lore, it takes like 12 months for you guys to come up with “torbjörn has children, yes…” it would make sense if yorue working on something big but legit what.

what was the process behind making his gun burst fire?

Baptiste introduced a new technical mechanic, where healing grenades pass through full health teammates, which I think is really cool and useful. But unlike Ana, it’s a projectile, not hitscan.

My question: If a healing grenade is passing through a full health teammate (e.g. Roadhog), and the teammate takes damage, will the healing grenade keep travelling through, or will it “explode” inside the teammate? And if it’s the latter, how often per second is it checked if it should explode?

Thank you for the Q&A :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What is his timeline with Talon and has he worked with the others (i.e. Moira, Reaper, Widow, Sombra)?

3 Likes

Probably something new they’re doing.

1 Like

How does he feel about the overwatch goup, black watch or talon in regards to their actions

1 Like

Was baptiste apart of the talon mission when widow was kidnapped and turned into a sleeper agent

2 Likes

Why is he a “good guy” and not a Talon Agent? I feel like the Game could use more of the opposite of Overwatch like Moira. I know this Game is about Heroes but a couple of Anti-Heroes makes it interesting.

The 3 round burst “SMG” is actually pretty unique in FPS games. Usually 3 round burst guns are rifles modeled after the real-world M16. What made you decide to go with a "smaller’ feeling gun for Baptiste, and does this mean a 3 round burst rifle is unlikely in the future?

3 Likes

Is Baptiste aligned with Overwatch or is he playing more by his own rules of how he wants to help people. Do you think Overwatch would accept Baptiste as a member?

Is Baptiste the informant of Soldier 76?

3 Likes

What kind of relationship does Baptiste have with reaper and moira. We have heard that Bap has “the devils own luck” which seems the hearken back to Reaper. Also, being the other “Talon support” he would likely have a professional relationship with Moira, are they on good terms (like genji and mei) or adversarial like Mercy and McCree?

4 Likes