Baptiste but with an audible P

Is pronouncing names differently based on preference not a thing in french?

Plenty of people pronounce their names odd in english for no reason, why not other languages?

Ok tinfoil hat here: I think it might have been an oversight during recording or something like that because it’s just so silly that real Haitians with this name would pronounce it with a silent P (fact), yet in Overwatch a Haitian guy wouldn’t. Also Jeff indeed pronounces it with the silent P too.

Foolish producer: ok now we go over the your name lines.
Even more foolish voice actor: BaPtiste, BaPtiste, BaPtiste.
Producer: perfect, sounds great.

And there you go.

Same silly stuff with Mercy where they hired a voice actor with a German accent instead of Swiss (she’s from Switzerland).

1 Like

who confirmed it? his voicelines?

because i hear an accent. not the letter P

Surprised no one brought this up but Jeff Kaplan himself pronounces it without the P in the developer update.

1 Like

The Baptiste Q&A that was answered this week

Michael Chu himself confirmed it.

Yes, you can pronounce it how you like.
Baptiste however pronounces it with the P. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, People still pronounce Brigitte about 30 different ways, so in the long run I doubt it will impact much.

Yeah, I have a feeling I’m going to be calling him Baptist because I find it hard to remember it’s not pronounced the French way

The frustration over Jean-Pierre Polnareff being called Jean for short by the entire Jojo fandom never left me. :anguished:

I once had a friend whose name was Juan-Paul.

Pronounced: John-Paul

Sombra also has a weird accent. With her english. Her VA can speak perfect english. They were probably going for an american accent name. I know alot of the cast Dont take Sombra very well or the community.

Chu just let his ignorance/ego take over common sense.

Even Jeff knows the p is silent.

3 Likes

He’s a professional, it wouldn’t be hard to not say it. More likely Blizz deliberately told him to.

That’s not how names work. You’re practically insulting an entire community by saying “I can pronounce your French name however I like”.

And a fictional character has no say in how his name is pronounced, that’s a lazy excuse for poor research.

2 Likes

Let’s assume he’s real, then. If a real person named Baptiste says he prefers his name to be pronounced with the P sound, would you tell him he’s wrong?

This is so silly. I mean, people are clamoring for free rights in gender and sexuality and all that, but someone pronouncing their own name differently from the norm is inexcusable? I hate how PC the world is becoming and even I think this whole name shaming thing is ridiculous.

But he’s not. He’s written, by someone who didn’t bother to check how to pronounce his name.

Also, I think you’re taking the forums a tad too seriously if you’re that butthurt over the subject lol.

2 Likes

What is the source for this?

Nvm, found it: Baptiste - Developer Q&A Answers

i love people that calling out Science and Origin…when it s a latin word…

He is now going live on 3/19/19!!!
Source: twitter

I pronounce it how the characters in the game say it.

Baptiste says the ”P” and has been confirmed to be this way.