Banned and SR penalty for blizzard server hiccup

Just got logged out of my account (back to Overwatch login in-game page) while about to win a competitive match. I reboot the game and (lo and behold) I’m smacked with -50 SR and phat 9 minute ban (I believe we actually won that game seconds later).

I wish Blizzard had some way of knowing when the connection problem is on their server’s side so as to not punish the player when this happens. Seems like a connection problem that deserves a bit of IT punishment instead :[

it just happened to me, lost connection and when i got back to the game i couldn’t rejoin and the guys on my team started threatening me XDDD , they asked me to rejoin but i got 6 min ban and couldn’t rejoin so yah i lost 50 and my team still playing without me xD…fix your servers PLS

It happened to me too. I did not even get into the game but it crashed. -50 and a 10 minute ban. Lovely stuff

Per competitive rules if you disconnect before the end of a match, it is an automatic penalties if you fail to return before it ends. Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in red text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please reply saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

(^^)v