Backfill for comp?

I know this comes up from time to time, but I think it would be a good idea.

I kind of understand the reasons for not putting it in the game: teammates might pressure you to leave if they feel like you’re not measuring up. But there’s a simple solution: any backfill should be lower rank than the rest of their team. I don’t just mean a gold 2 on a team of gold 1s, I mean like a silver player on a team of gold 1s. So your expectations are low right off the bat, but it’s still better than a 4v5. Furthermore, you make it clear the backfiller is doing you a favour: no SR/MMR rewards or penalties for that player depending on win/loss. But you do give them e.g. competitive points (like for buying weapon variants), and more for a win, so they still get some recognition from the game itself.

Also, just to be clear, you make backfill a separate queue or a toggle, it’s something you have to opt into. Effectively you’re crowdsourcing a solution to the problem of leavers, even if it’s not a perfect solution. I know I’d queue for it.

1 Like

They could pause the game for 1 min, or less, and backfill it.
You could have an option if you wanted to be a BACKFILLER in Queue.

1 Like

Right, it would be a separate option from the main queue. Something you could do as a public service. I don’t think pausing would be a good idea though, imagine if you’ve just initiated a sneaky flank when the game stops dead. Would give the enemy team loads of time to react to your presence.

There should absolutely be backfill, way too many leavers in comp

Backfill players should get 10% more reward (if win, regular if loss) since they joined late

I think the best solution is to at least give players an “offer draw” screen… I’m sure most people on the ‘winning team’ will vote no and then proceed to stomp you but at least it could be an option.

Back fill as you suggest it would just irritate the hell out of me. Imagine being in que for 5-10 minutes and you are forced to back fill on a losing team against people who are higher ranked than you. Your own team is already most likely already irritated so you would be coming into a bad situation already just made as horrible as possible cuz you already know you are out of your depth AND to top it all off you think the ‘incentive’ is that this person shouldn’t get any competitive points/reward or rank change at all regardless of the outcome? You’re gonna waste like 20 minutes of their day on a crappy game… IDK man that really seems/feels like a super demoralizing situation to me. I’d want to just log out for the day if I had to back fill into a comp game. Also there are PLENTY of people who will view a ‘free comp game’ where NO comp SR is on the line as their free pass to troll the game… imagine your back fill life weaver just pulls you into enemy fire etc.

2 Likes

What are you guys on about? I get a leaver like once every 50 games or so, it’s not an issue.

Are you guys down in bronze or something where players don’t care at all?

As I said in OP, I imagine this as a separate queue from the normal comp queues, or maybe an option you can toggle on if you choose. It’s opt-in, so no one backfills who doesn’t want to.

I must have missed the part where you said it was opt in… weeeell if that’s the case then I think your idea has merit, but I still think if the player who is back filling if they have nothing to lose then you open yourself up to people toggling that feature on just for the sake of trolling comp games with a free pass.

IDK how you could maintain competitive integrity if a player has nothing at stake to motivate him whether they win or lose… they could actively sabotage the team just for lols.

Dunno. maybe they should experiment with a back fill opt in like beta test for a week and see how people feel about it… I think the issue you’d run into tho is when there’s a leaver in your game everyone in the lobby is upset already - introducing a back fill whether they cause an upset by winning, or a team still ends up losing you will STILL have unhappy players in the lobby who will say it wasn’t fair so I feel like no matter what it’s a lose lose.

Give us an offer draw button - sure 60-90% of the time people won’t unanimously agree to use it but at least it was an option - If people don’t use it then nothing changes… if everyone unanimously agrees to draw a match everyone leaves happy.