Audio and Video Stuttering

Hi,

Since the last patch (1.28.0.1) I am having great difficulty playing on the PC. There is definite audio cutting off in both playing a match as well as in the in-game menus. Video also stutters in matches as well as input seems to lag. For example, I was moving around as Tracer and even after I had stopped pressing a key she would still be moving in the last direction I pressed.

I’ve tried a number of things:

• Re-install drivers
  • Disable vsync both in game and on Nvidia
  • Lowered the graphics all the way down
  • Set CPU infinity on overwatch.exe to not use 0 and 1 cores
  • Checked/Updated Windows

I tried playing CoD: WWII and I didn’t see the same kind of issues.

My specs are:

Windows 10 64bit
12GB of RAM
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you post a dxdiag on pastebin and include a link between two ` marks.

like this

1 Like

There you go. I have also tried updating the bios but that doesn’t fix it either. As well as repairing the game files and doing a complete re-install of the game.

https://pastebin.com/BK4c4Nrk

I can see stuttering on video and sound when I am just entering the game and it is loading the character menu. Then whilst playing I see the game stuttering and the FPS dropping to between 20-30 FPS.

+++ WER9 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: svchost.exe_WpnUserService
P2: 10.0.17134.1
P3: a38b9ab2
P4: NotificationController.dll

There is some service that keeps crashing in the background in that dxdiag, but it doesn’t say if it’s related to video or audio. However, since it’s related to notifications, it’s possible that it is playing a sound/crashing and then causing the issue in game. It might be worth looking into?

I noticed you have two displays. Have you tried unplugging the secondary one and seeing if issues persist?

Have you also made sure the power settings in Windows and on your GPU drivers are set to high performance?

Have you looked in Windows Event Viewer for any critical events happening when you see these issues popping up?

Could your power supply in your PC be dying?

There is some service that keeps crashing in the background in that dxdiag, but it doesn’t say if it’s related to video or audio. However, since it’s related to notifications, it’s possible that it is playing a sound/crashing and then causing the issue in game. It might be worth looking into?

I don’t think it is related. Loaded up the game and joined training and there are no events for this.

I noticed you have two displays. Have you tried unplugging the secondary one and seeing if issues persist?

Yes tried that but same result.

Have you also made sure the power settings in Windows and on your GPU drivers are set to high performance?

Yes tried that but same result.

Have you looked in Windows Event Viewer for any critical events happening when you see these issues popping up?

Yeah. A lot of Bonjour errors but that is Apple which I have since uninstalled. Nothing around the time of playing the game.

Could your power supply in your PC be dying?

I dont think so. I will check it tomorrow.

The game always without fails starts to stutter/freeze, fps drop when transitioning from loading match/skirmish screen to select characters. The “prepare your defenses” always cuts out. So there is something around this point in the game that is making it crap out. This makes me think it is change in the latest patch that is not playing with my PC very well. If it was random then I would think it’s my setup.

Your problem maybe due to an older spinning hard drive that is slowly “dying” or failing. Spinning hard drives tend to get worn down depending on use. To test this, open up your computer’s side panel and look for your game hard drive. Load up a game that stutters and listen for any unusual noise or “clicking” from that hard drive. If it is the hard drive, it will coincide with the stutter.

This occurs because newer games tend to load the game in the background while you play. Thus no loading screens. To fix this, consider purchasing a solid state drive for where you store your games. It should fix the issue if your hard drive is dying.

But yes it sounds as if your PC is literally dying.