At what point can we get Linux compatibility?

It’s been what… 5 years now? Steam did it, they added Linux compatibility to all their games. Why can’t it happen with Overwatch?

It’s annoying to download and config Wine, then use Wine to install Lutris, to then install Battle.net which enables you to download Overwatch, with a large performance decrease compared to just using Windows.

I use Linux for it’s super slim OS size, and how secure it is (web developer here). But it just seems a little stupid that they can’t just… make it compatible. I get that it’s an entirely new shader system (DirectX to Vulkan), but if the entirety of Steam (35,000+ Games) is now compatible with Vulkan, why can’t one game by a massive company do the same thing?

At least I can still PLAY it on Linux, just at low settings because of the third-party interference. Let’s just hope, as a community, Overwatch doesn’t collapse before this compatibility gets added (<3 Jeff Kaplan).

4 Likes

Probably after Mac support gets added

ngl I forgot Linux existed

3 Likes

It’s a strange operating system. It’s not really user friendly most of the time, so I’m not surprised a lot of people forget about it or don’t even know that Linux exists. Let alone be compatible and consistently functional for a lot of games.

2 Likes

Bill Warnecke explains why in this older forum post…

As of this time, no game on the Battle.net platform is supported on Linux, some, like Overwatch, are not even compatible with Mac.

3 Likes

Sad it doesn’t seem like it is coming…

But stuff like that is why I want Blizzard games on Geforce Now. it worked before (accidentally?) but then they fixed it. If the devs don’t want to modify their game to work with these other devices then at least, they could work with Geforce and have it available to stream. (Games like Destiny 2 plays perfectly on my gf’s imac and that thing can barely open its own Finder menu without stalling so I think game streaming may actually be viable these days for some people)

If Blizz is planning their own streaming service that works on Linux/Macs/Phones/potatoes then I hope they announce it soon (I mean, they have enough titles to justify it, I guess…). I don’t know what goes into working with a game streaming service but if the cost isn’t too outrageous then I feel like it would be a great way to make Overwatch more available to the public without the devs having to re-engineer anything.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Nvidia thanked blizzard for letting them test the service with their games, i’m pretty sure bliz retired them
Don’t ask why

1 Like

That’s a very disappointing and myopic response, if they’ve maintained it into 2022.

1 Like