Are Pharah’s changes a nerf or buff?

Lmfao I’m convinced you’ve never played Pharah.

its a nerf to people who are bad with her but with good people it can be a pretty big buff as well

Because firing at a faster fire rate due to no accuracy issues and reduced splash (Hitting a 10m direct hit rocket has a 1 star difficulty due to its projectile size) actually encourages spam.

You have zero reason NOT to spam with this new RoF and plenty of reason to spam due to the reduced splash. If you do not spam you lose damage potential at close range.

Then I am convinced you are deluding yourself. Have a good day. I have provided a thread link with numbers to back up my argument. You have done nothing but state “bet you do not play her!”.

Have a good day.

So pretty much everything in this game is spam based on your logic. It is silly to pretend that in close range aiming rockets doesnt matter, killing with 2 hits instead of 3-4 greatly reduces the time to kill.

Two direct hits in a row do not actually happen all that often at her current optimal range (20-25m). Which is why this is going to force closer ranges of roughly 15-17m instead. Which increases the likely hood of spam due to the fact that accuracy based Pharah’s currently do not even fire at 0.9 recovery but space their shots for results.

Read my thread. Explains the entire reasoning.

skybox pharah nerf, buff to close combat pharah

she’s pretty fragile to most heroes up close so i wonder how it ends up being
pharah 1vs1s will be pretty interesting

skybox pharah nerf means she’ll be worse in some of her best maps but she’ll be stronger on maps she isn’t very good on atm, plus she’ll be a lot better at focusing down specific tanks in goats
even if skybox pharah wasn’t op it wasn’t exactly fun to fight or particularly engaging for the pharah player, so in theory this change should please everyone

1 Like

That still doesnt make sense. Yes I agree she will be more incentivized to be closer since it is easier to hit directs due to aiming more, and less luck from the enemy movement and travel time. So now we are closer, making it easier to hit, why are we suddenly spamming instead of aiming shots? Pharah can totally be accurate while shooting as fast as possible in close range.

Because people who spam will still BE spamming and at a greater RoF. Since they are being encouraged to be closer the result of being closer decreases the overall difficulty of hitting shots while doing said spam. Decreasing the splash damage ALSO makes anyone who does the math realize that if they DO NOT spam their shots as fast a possible will lose a substantial amount of damage.

Close range “spammy” is alot harder than mid range Pharah.

Sounds like your mid range “accuracy” playstyle relied on explosions instead of actually direct hits.

I like the replies to this question because it sheds some light on something important in regards to balance. It makes sense why the OP feel confused… It’s a small distinction but an important one: hero changes are not always binary…X hero gets needed or X hero gets buffed…that’s it. Black or white. The recent ptr changes to Pharah illustrates it’s always so.

… so they can be bad at pharah in close range if they want to spam instead of trying to hit shots. Aiming your shots in close range does not mean you have to shoot slower than her max rate of fire. What youre saying doesnt make sense unless you consider pharah to just be a spam hero, and every rocket she shoots is spam. Sure some people might still not aim very well in close range with her rockets, and they will just die quickly due to being more vulnerable. In no way does less splash dmg encourage poor aim in close range.

At this point I think you just consider shooting her rockets as fast as possible to be spam, but people are capable of aiming each shot while shooting at her max rate of fire. The same way mccree players can be accurate while shooting as fast as his gun allows him.

Let me ask you this. Which do you believe is harder? Hitting a direct shot with a projectile at 35m per second from 25m? Or hitting a target with that same projectile at 15m or below?

These changes encourage a closer playstyle with LESS aim requirements. This is part of the issue I take with it. Yes, you still need some semblance of aim but the requirements are much lower in the aim department in comparison to the aim requirements of current Pharah’s best range.

So the end results?

Long Range spammers will be less effective at spam but due to the increase in RoF will have MORE spam which should effectively leave their damage results the same. Which is very little value.

Current optimal Range Pharah will be nerfed despite attempts at accuracy due to direct hits being reasonably possible but not feasible at consistently getting two in a row.

Close range less aim reliant Pharah will be buffed and Spammy in order to take advantage of the new RoF.

They’re a nerf for most players

1 Like

I can only see this as quite the buff. It almost makes me want to pick her up again, to be honest. I am apparently one of the rare Pharah that can aim, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Of course hitting the closer shot is easier, but the longer shot has less aim involved as it has a lot of luck. People can easily move in the opposite direction and have a farther away shot miss than a close one, the enemy has a lot less reaction time in closer range.

Yes it encourages a closer play style, but how does that mean it has less aim requirements? The difference from a direct hit to only hitting with splash will be bigger, if anything it would be more important to have good aim now since slash is only 65 instead of 80. With pharah being in closer range having to shoot 1-2 more rockets to kill due to spamming them instead of trying to aim well will often result in her dying instead.

Because when it comes to projectile size and its travel time the closer you are the less lead time is required which requires less thought and aim in general.

Which on the opposing end makes there no amount of aim that can make it hit more accurate.

And in the middle there is true accuracy where the amount of lead time requirement is feasible to work with but is not so easy as to make your shots spammable.

That is the difference and why it reduces aim requirements.

At this point we can just agree to disagree, since clearly neither of us are changing our opinions.

This.

Forced deranking of FlyingJunkrats…and a buff for real Pharah players.

buff if you’re good, nerf if you’re bad