Are headshots really necessary for hitscan? đź’˘

Now that you’re here, i would like to reach a consensus about something.

Okay, quick question.

Are headshots necessary for hitscan heroes, in high rank play.

Yes, no?

Could you simply “Take them or leave them” Or, as i suspect, are they literally necessary for high skill play?

No not really, unless you play widow then it is 100%, but it is just natural to go for higher amounts of headshots and hit more headshots at high rank, cause people are exposed for shorter amounts of time and team play is better, so in general your time to kill a target off if he steps out of position is usually very small.

5 Likes

So you would say, that if headshot damage modifiers were removed, it would be impossible to play in super high ranks like you do now?

Ana doesn’t have them. Buuuuut she’s a support.

I mean they decide whos heros fall faster - since a headshot does so much more DMG than a body shot.

1 Like

They’re a design choice. They’re not really necessary, but the game would require a whole lot of rebalancing if you’d remove them. They also add an extra layer of individual variability, something this game already has very little of (and the less individual variability there is, the less variable overall gameplay will be, i.e. the more boring the meta will be).

1 Like

Headshots are why I play McCree. Dink. Dink dink. Dink.

2 Likes

Now, next question…

No matter the damage numbers involved since that is up for debate and change in the future, why is Bastion an exception to this? Why punish the robot?

Yes it is nesessary as air! I’ve lost about 5% crit accuracy on my Ashe, it was 21% crit, now it is 16% and I struggle to climb new account more than mid masters. Also you would notice big difference between 9% crit mcree and 12% cree, also 25% crit widow and 39% crit widow.

1 Like

Bastion can headshot in recon mode though… I think they mainly removed headshots from sentry mode to reduce his noobstomping potential somewhat.

1 Like

And here in lies the problem.

Bastion is no longer a “Noob stomper” If you’re not in the lowest end of bronze.

I feel like Bastion is being mistreated quite badly, and people still think he should go without even if that means being unplayable in high rank.

I personally believe most hitscan suck besides Widow (and Ashe to an extent despite a lot of her damage coming from spam, dynamite, and Bob) and they basically all need headshots to be viable. And to that end, yeah, that is probably a big reason Bastion is not viable.

1 Like

Question 1: Yes. In higher ranks people that can get higher value by having like 15% or more HS ratio on a hitscan clearly make a difference. It can literally make a difference between a high masters and a diamond.

Question 2: Bastion’s rate of fire is insane so if you add Headshots to the mix, you basically evaporate people, specially tanks in mid ranges (10-20 mt). That should not happen.

1 Like

No, not at all, it is possible to play in high rank with high accuracy and low amount of crits already. If you removed headshots every hero would have it removed so everyone is at an equal playing field, it would make heroes like Widow dogsh*t in no time tho and heavily impact others.

1 Like

This is the point that i’m so glad i’ve made somewhat with this new thread/question.

Are headshots necessary to play a hitscan in high rank: General answer “Yea mostly”

Can Bastion headshot when trying to deal the most damage and be the most helpful? “Nope, not at all”

Is Bastion played in high rank? “Nope, not at all”

Like i said in this thread and here:

“No matter the damage numbers involved since that is up for debate and change in the future”

The idea is that we need to slightly rework Bastion.

He needs headshots in general, after damage changes.

In my recent thread i proposed reducing his ammo to 150, as a damage nerf all around for the time he’s firing.

But on top of that the HS modifier in question could be lesser than even normal.

Again, this is the point.

Heroes that rely on dealing damage when faced with an enemy, would be really bad at dealing that damage all of the sudden.

Imagine Tracer, with the inability to deal headshot damage.

Now imagine that same Tracer, the size of Roadhog, and stuck to the ground.

1 Like

Overwatch’s competitive streamlining just hasn’t been very kind to Bastion because of his design. He works fine in a casual game, but he’s too lopsided in a competitive setting depending on his balance state (either useless or too valuable).

So conclusion: Blizzard just has no idea what to do with him. And honestly I have no idea either. They could rework him, but they’d have to rework him so heavily that his identity would be basically gone (and it’s already bad enough that they dd this with one hero, so let’s not add another to that list). Bastion might actually be the first casualty of this game’s indecisiveness about competitivity.

Doesnt matter what you said in that sentence, he is a GATLING GUN with 300 ammo and a stupid fire ratio.
You made a question now, with the actual parameters, so the answer I gave is 100% accurate and correct regarding the actual game balance.

If you want to change the variables and make a case for a “Bastion prototype” that is brutally different to what we are seeing now, sure, present those changes then.

Well your point is kind of wrong in a sense, since Bastion isn´t meant to be accurate, that is why his spread is all over the place, in general aiming for a HS with his sentry mode would lose you way too much damage from all the bullets going around the head as well.

I understand what you are getting at, but instead of seeing it as needed HS or not. See it as, in general at higher ranks you need a higher rate of accuracy, be that pure bodyshots or more headshots in the end it doesn´t really matter. Headshots are more risky and more rewarding, while bodyshots are consistent, but can be insufficient at times of extreme fights.

Hmm…

HMMM

I would suggest reading through all of these, and also considering that i’m talking about a rework which would change the hero in other ways as well.

Bastion’s giant spread was a mistake, and the original spread was much much tighter… the increase of spread was a band-aid on a larger problem.

And this is funny…

Bastion fails at both.