Are content creators more important than players?

Oh that was me literally say they don’t matter in the grand scheme with a very long-winded way so as to not get some infraction. But…

Game wouldn’t be where it is if it they did lol

I simply skipped over them like they try to do the rest of us and started talking about the real content creators. The actual development team. The marketing team who is feeding them info. (normie) content creators are like a cheerleader of said system. Needed but you can cut them off when they aren’t useful anymore. Always more cheerleaders after em.

The mail carriers of games if you will. Or like clowns at a party. useful and fun for a time.

Don’t even has to look for or anything of effort. The definitive answer is a resounding Yes.

To deny this is just denial

1 Like

You don’t feel that a “content creator” is a little like a news reporter and should be reactionary (and all that entails) instead of being treated like an employee of the company with special informational privileges?

As a content creator it certainly makes your job easier to have the info before people so you can benefit from “Breaking” it to everyone… but is that fair?

6 Likes

A few things to know, news reporters do get information in advance from sources like corporations and even governments in ways very similar to that of content creators get information from community managers. They are under signed embargo agreements and there can be penalties for allowing information to slip. An example of this is the Malevento leak this Summer which that FFA map was postponed due to obvious reasons.

2 Likes

no, because the internet exists to help everyone on their tasks… if the information is available, why not schedule around it? who would choose to make their work harder???

I mean announcing an announcement, which is effectively what he did, is something that Twitter is an ideal space for. Twitter is ideal for short, easy to digest information. The website, the forums, and reddit are better for in depth information. Every venue has a place where it is is best and for something as basic as announcing an announcement Twitter is probably the ideal area.

I can see your point but the same thing stands true, if you don’t follow the guy you’ll have to rely on news sources who will throw a bunch of stuff on top of the actual announcement and again, IF the OW official account would have at least retwitted it, I think it’d be fine, what is missing here is commitment to make what is left of OW at least welcoming

they gotta build that up and all they do is use their personal accounts to apologize, like what the hell man?

is it that they don’t have a social account manager? or is it that they don’t care to broadcast things as much as content creators do? they keep saying that they’re trying to work with content creators but if they don’t follow every single person that works for blizz and other CCs then they’ll miss juicy news that SHOULD appear on official sources

But it’s by dint of being news reporters that these sources GO to the well known ones to announce this stuff. Yes I understand there are special arrangements with certain information. Contracts drawn and all that and in that case I can see it being important, but overall just BEING a content creator shouldn’t mean you get priority to all information. It seems unfair especially since you end up with favoritism and preferred creators. At that point just hire them.

You have missed the point. Why should it be easier to make content and benefit from being first just because you’re a content creator? Yes it’s infinitely better for the CREATOR especially in this world where being the first to break something means likely being the most viewed and therefor top of the heap. Yes of course someone would ALWAYS choose to make their job as easy as possible, the question is should they have special treatment simply because that’s their job? Isn’t there integrity in simply being the fastest to turn around announced news and piece together release information from what’s available to everyone?

7 Likes

because their livelihood depend on it, having access to information isn’t just to satiate their need to know about the game, it’s just so that they can work, so the answer is yes, they should have special treatment because if you don’t know when OW2 will release you’ll only be concerned about it and that’s it but a CC would probably be forced to drop the game or stop streaming and getting revenue altogether, apples and oranges

But the thing is if they actually wanted to get the word out they would have used the Overwatch twitter (which has about as many followers as the reddit page has members and both are far more than the forums), but they did not because they did not consider the announcement of announcement to be something worth building up interest over.

It is basically there for the people who are seeking it out but for those not seeking it out the information will drop as a surprise and THAT will be the hype which is the goal all along.

1 Like

then how is that communication? oh let me drop this piece of paper in the desert with the date for OW2 release, I communicated it, it’s the people’s fault for not finding it…

1 Like

Going back to Andy’s comment, Content Creators tie their success to the success of the games they play. Game publishers have every right to invest time, energy, and even money to ensure their content creators are taken care of because that is one of many promotion mechanisms companies can rely on to drive organic traffic to their game. You may not agree with this business practice, but that is your own opinion at that point.

I would also note, content creators who put the time and energy into it do deserve better connections and benefits from the games they choose to promote. While it can be difficult for new creators to get a piece of the pie per say, I have seen new creators continue to be featured by Blizzard throughout the years. I think the point to draw there, that if you are new creator, what are you bring to the table that is new and unique? Content creation is far more than just streaming for four hours a day on Twitch, or whipping out a 10-minute discussion video on YouTube, each of the most successful creators often brings a unique style to their content and that style is what draws in the audience and determines their success.

3 Likes

Just because someone has invested their livelyhood on a job succeeding, doesn’t mean the job should be made easier. As I said earlier, if you are better at content creation WITHOUT an advantage of privileged information and extra time to make that content, you should by all rights do BETTER than others.

The risks of a chosen profession. Just like being a streamer is always at the mercy of the current zeitgeist. If the world decided tomorrow that fiber optics were no longer the way to get internet to most residential areas I would lose my livelyhood. I don’t DESERVE a heads up. It would be nice and it would save me a lot of grief if I knew… but it’s not like I am entitled to it.

As is nearly every point I bring up here, so fair. I just don’t like the idea that not only are there PR employees, basically the company now has unpaid (monetarily) and biased mouthpieces who WILL pander since they depend on the companies generosity of privileged information to survive.

12 Likes

Like what? unfairly nerf underpowered heroes and buff overpowered heroes? also relaunch again the failed Hero pools and vault heroes feature? is that their success?

12 Likes

exactly, they aren’t entitled to it either, blizz is choosing to do this in good faith towards them, that’s it

The point being that they are citing that these peoples jobs are content creators as excuses for handing out better and more timely information. Which I disagree with. It’s a bit of circular logic IMO. “We tell them things because they’re content creators” and they’re successful content creators because they get told things early.

9 Likes

You and I both know that is both hyperbolic nonsense and patently untrue.

They did not drop what you are pretending was dropped. What you are describing would be something actually important and would hit every single channel. A tweet announcing an announcement in the future is not even remotely of the same relevance and you know it. It is fluff. It is just something for the dedicated to have a rough understanding that more information is coming and for all those people hanging on every word it reached them.

For the people who are not hanging on every word looking everywhere for information and just want to know when actual information is out, they will get actual information when the actual information is available.

You know what sure, it’s totally fine to give them a small heads up to give them a chance to get something together, but months of time and letting them go around vaguely saying “oh stuffs going to come” is not the way to do this.

9 Likes

yes, you understand, so… why do you disagree with it? I mean you said it yourself, if you had the ability to know about issues with your current job you’d happily take it, your job wants you there so its in their interest to keep you happy, if that’s not the case then you are choosing to stay disregarding that, which is fine I also have a job like this but whenever a company decides to put in the work for their employees the answer isn’t: I disagree because I don’t get the same treatment, please treat everyone with disdain ._.

then stop counting crumbs as communication because it isn’t actual information, they haven’t communicated anything, there was a twit that said something will be said throughout the year and my answer was: don’t cite this as a communication, it isn’t but another teaser from a twitter account

But what job security does this provide them if they can’t talk about it for months after being told? Ya, they know but so what they can’t post videos about it.