Are Ana and Pharah Muslim

do you think ana and pharah are muslim? i think ur more qualified to answer than anyone else here lol

yes they are muslim, but are they religious? doesnt seem like it, pharah has tatoos like you mentioned, she participates in combat which includes attacking(which isnt allowed) and doesnt wear the head covering in the presence of men(hijab is only required in the presence of men), ana however hasnt given me a reason to think she isnt religious other than combat, i dont know her lore too well but from what i know of ana she may be religious

Edit: I read a little bit of ana lore and it says she joined Overwatch to end the war in her country and fighting for your country to stop a war isnt considered bad because you are trying to end a violent conflict in your country(fighting for your country and love for your country is encouraged in islam) it seems like her main goal of being involved in Overwatch is to protect her country, family and friends so I think she is good here.

2 Likes

Jack’s dogtag says he is Catholic. Reyes’ says the exact opposite: Atheist. Everything about the two is antonymical. White/Racial, Catholic/Atheist, forever alone/family man, blood types, roles in OW, sides in the present day, presumably gay/straight, etc.

2 Likes

Ooh, okay, thank you for taking the time to answer!!!

looks like pharah is going to hell :skull: at least she can join me there heh

Ana does those same things.

Has a tattoo and doesn’t cover head around men. Does the little military berete count? Even if it does, she has seen not having anything on her head, like in Jack’s birthday picture. I also believe it was mentioned somewhere that she comes from a military family which was the reason she’s in the army too, but I can’t be bothered to look for the source.

from Pharah’s bio, the Amaris are a “long line of highly decorated soldiers”

What I mean is, where does it say it? I’ve never seen it before so I’m curious.

Check out Soldier-76 (Morrison’s default skin) and Soldier-24’s (Reyes’s legendary skin) dogtags really close.
I cannot show links/images here.

Alright, next time I’m in the game I’ll take a look.

You won’t be able to see it in game, lol. Look up the images on Google. Soldier 24 dogtags are very readable, while we had to do some deciphering(and guesswork) with 76. It looks like it might say “Catholic”, but it’s very blurry.

1 Like

Indeed. You have to look at the dogtags in Gimp 2 like tools. The game camera is too far away from them to read anything.

1 Like

Oooh alright, thank you. Then I won’t bother :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll just take what you guys say as gospel lol

In the game just take screenshots of the dogtags , then put them in Gimp 2 and look at them closer.

I did not know she has a tatoo guess I am wrong then also didnt know about the picture you are talking about but yeah if you are right then she isnt religious.

Edit: Looked at her head covering and didnt realize her hair was coming out of it so yeah it doesnt count :confused:

Reyes’ tags are high-res and clearly list his religion (the last line) as “None”.

Soldier’s tags are low quality and can barely be made out. The religion line probably says “Catholic”.

4 Likes

Ah, thank you so much.

And this is how Michael Chu confirmed Jack middle name was Francis, with someone asking about those dogtags ^^ but he never confirmed the religion :frowning:

2 Likes

I mean, there are plenty of muslim women I’ve met who don’t cover their hair and still consider themselves religious to varying degrees. Hell, I’ve met religious moroccans who drink alcohol and say “god’ll forgive me.” My arabic professor was an Egyptian woman who explained that a lot of things that arent necessarily strictly ‘permissable’ a la religious texts are kept around because its the culture, especially in places like egypt where the culture a lot of history is drawn from is older than the religion. :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel like its facetious to look at Islam as one unanimous religion that has no degrees of variance in how strictly people follow/interpret parts of it. Think of how many ways there are of being Christian, from people who go to church twice or three times a week to those who only go on Easter and Christmas. Imagine saying that because a Character isn’t depicted as a puritan they aren’t Christian. That’s more/less the argument being made by people holding up the idea they have to follow one very strict version of it followed in certain dictatorships.

3 Likes

I don’t really care either way. But Bold2003 claims to be an expert, ask them.

Nightops 76 and Soldier 24 iirc have the dogtags.