Applying Update suspension and penalty

Joined a comp lobby with 2 other people in my party, got a 60 minute ban after getting stuck on “applying update” and restarting my game not realizing I was in game.

10 Likes

Just got my third 8 hour ban this week. 1 of them due to this bug five minutes ago.

5 Likes

I got a 15 minute ban just now. Was loading into a custom game when I found a match. In my 7 years of playing this game I’ve never dealt with something like this before. Its crazy it happens right when leaving has higher penalties…

5 Likes

This is why you should never play OW2 for at least a day after an update happens. There is always some issue like this or with the servers. I have had it happen before.

2 Likes

and itll say entering game for so long as well, im glad i havent queued for comp yet but it does this for quickplay as well, i tried everything and now i am just trying to reinstall the game to see if it helps if it doesnt all i can do is wait for blizzard to take action because i have NEVER had issues like this in overwatch

2 Likes

I just experienced this now while queued for a comp match.

I was waiting to join a game. Attempted to enter a deathmatch in “while you wait” menu. A prompt reading “Applying Update” appeared. While the update was spinning I saw that I game connected to a match… which I couldn’t back out of because the UI was locked. I had to Alt-F4 (force close the client) to stop the endless update spinning.

Second time with OW2 that I’ve gotten a suspension for something outside of my control.

Another friend of mine has had the same happen. I’ll point them to this page to like and share.

2 Likes

Just happened to me again…great.

1 Like

Same for me here, I’m banned 8 hours lol

1 Like

Jup, I got banned too.

2 Likes

I now had this error the 3rd time within the last couple of days, all of them while queing for a comp game.
Always had to Alt + F4 to shut down the game because the “applying update” message was staying there forever (waiting for several minutes)

Two times I got a loss and was suspended for 15 minutes, one time nothing happened.

2 Likes

Same here. Got a 15 min suspension from Comp, it sat for about 2 minutes before I just restarted my client.

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here is a link to my post in case you would like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Here is a link to my post in case you would like to read more about this issue: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

Also happened to me just a minute ago…

Literally just happened to me while I’m on pace to masters for DPS… The game has been SO buggy today… First it asked me to verify my phone after ive had this account for almost 10 years , and now this BS…

Similar issue just now. Queued for comp (support). Got into a match but “applying update” popped up and did not close or let me into the match before I force closed Overwatch to come back to a 15 minute suspension.

This just happened to me RIGHT now! I was waiting on this “applying update” screen for nearly 10 minutes before I finally shut it down, and I was hit with a 60 minute suspension!

Had that happen to me just now was all ready for comp with a friend he got into the match but I got the applying update. Luckily only 15mins. But picked up another friend once ban was over and it happend to him but he got an hour ban. This is ridiculous

Just got an 8 hour competitive ban because of this applying update bug. Hopefully they fix this soon, otherwise it’s unplayable. Sadge

Just had this happen to me

it has happened twice to me this week