"Applying update" in comp queue, results in 15min suspension

Playing OW2, in queue for competetive match. Suddenly, while in queue, I get fullscreen message “applying update” and a loading icon. This message doesn’t go away after a good while, I can’t exit this view, I can’t exit queue (which is on in the background). I force close the game, and relaunch it. I’m now suspended from comp queue for 15mins. SLIGHTLY off-putting…

EDIT: Seems I’m not alone, previous fresh thread here.

6 Likes

i got the same problem dude i got cooldown for 7 days and i cant even make a ticket

1 Like

If it was the first time you logged in after yesterday’s patch, and if it was the first match you got into, it has this “applying update” problem.

You first gotta go at least to the practice range so it applies it, then you can queue for other mode.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m sure this will fix it. My issue is with the “damage is already done” nature of this bug. I’d like they’d be quick to act and warn users about it, something like a simple “we are aware… please try this…” notification or message in battlenet client.

1 Like

Same here!

This happened twice already. What a BS!

+1 Devs should post this on the OW twitter and Battle net client

2 Likes

happened to me just now, 15min suspension. if i get deranked imma cry

Same thing happened to me. Queuing for competitive and got an “applying update” message. Thought I would get in soon but apparently it just got me banned for 15 mins. Now have a leave penalty to my rank. Love Overwatch 2.

It happened to me too, first 15minutes, and later the same day, suspended 1h… It’s really annoying, there’s no compensation ?

Same here first it was stuck on entering game last week now this week it gets stuck on applying update bro I’m on 8 hour ban right now

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here’s a link to my post in case you would like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

Jesus, happened again just now… The only time i decided not to enter practice range before queuing to comp game…

bumparooo, fix this blizzard

Good news, the Applying Update bug has been addressed by a community manager. A link to the message here: [Main Thread] Applying Update - #148 by Joynueer.