Applying Update Applying Update

Recently when initializing the start of a new match it locates a server and “match found” followed by “applying update” for a milisecond and then my match starts normally but my last match (that i couldnt even start) said “applying update” and then got stuck in that screen for 10 minutes rendering my game Frozen stuck in that “Applying Update” screen.

Edit: I hope the devs see this and are applying the appropriate reverse ban for the players who were affected by this bug. This is unjustified some are even banned for days not hours because of an obnoxious bug that does not correlate to their gameplay/matchmaking.

34 Likes

This just happened to me as well. I had to ALT+F4 to get out.

4 Likes

Ironic getting stuck on applying an update that’s supposed to fix bugs.

4 Likes

couldnt even do that i had to open windows start to exit the app

2 Likes

This is at least the fourth time it’s happened to me and I’m now I’m banned for an hour (I’ve not left a single match in OW, but now I can’t even play the game).

I think I’m at the end of my rope with this game.

7 Likes

edit: it happened to me three times today

2 Likes

Has happened to me 4-5 times in the last two months on XSX, most recently today with a 15 minute suspensions. Nothing says customer care like penalizing your customers for bugs you can’t be bothered to fix.

7 Likes

Happened to me as well on Xbox x. Game is stuck on applying update for more than 10 mins.

3 Likes

BLIZZARD FIX YOUR GAME

It’s the third time now that this happens to me, three times being banned because of your spaghetti code.

4 Likes

Its happened to me i think 4 times now so my ranks gonna go down so much :+1:

3 Likes

I have an 8 hour ban as a result of this applying update issue. The 5th time it’s happened to me.

4 Likes

Been hit with the applying update bug multiple times in the last few days. I never leave games and last ban was 20 hours… can’t wait for a 7 day ban because blizzard can’t distinguish between a leave and a bug on their end. I’ve opened an appeal ticket, submitted supporting evidence and received a response telling me how penalties work…. Hoping this gets resolved or even acknowledged soon. FYI PS5 User.

3 Likes

This sucks…still happening and i see the maintenance alert on the app but nothing has happened regarding this incident yet.

edit: has anyone tried to wait out the update? cus i lasted like 5-6 minutes till I realized my game froze/crashed.

1 Like

Yeah, I knew a bigger suspension was coming the second time it happened in a day so I left it for like 20ish mins, did stuff around the house then came back and still displaying. Decided to close and was 20 mins into my 20 hour suspension.

For everyones information all suspensions came from this bug over the last few days. went from 15 mins → 1 hour → 20 hours. Heard about 8 hours but I guess I skipped that step.

Edit: going starting combing tech and bug threads and try redirect traffic here I figure the more people in one place that report the issue the easier for devs to see the issue is prominent and requires a sense of urgency.

3 Likes

Actually the worst glitch ever the game is working fine for my friends but no matter if I reinstall the game ,check my wifi,restart the game it just says applying update and all the ways around it are for pc aswell so I’m just stuck cuz i play on xbox

2 Likes

Oh I have a glitch too where I have to restart my software to be able to see my friends cus it’s says I have no friends when I do and they’re online. Bothersome.

1 Like

Just got a one-hour suspension because of the “Applying Update” bug that forces you to force quit the game. Agree with others that it is amazingly frustrating that the company penalizes you for their bug.

4 Likes

Is there any fix for this yet

2 Likes

This has happened to me many times… The thing is, I’ve also started getting grouped with leavers. As well as leading to me getting a leaving penalty. So now I’m tagged as a leaver even though I never left a game… Also all these applying update glitch games are also counting as losses and affecting ranks, and that’s really not ok… If there is a glitch that can affect peoples ranks it needs to be fixed and the leaver statuses reset. I know that the glitch has caused me to have a leaver status, and I want that fixed. It’s not fair to players for this crap to happen.

4 Likes

Having the same problem. Have gotten up to an actual ban from this season because of it. It joins a game, then sits on “applying update” for 20+ minutes until I quit or it crashes. It even identifies it as a bug and comes up with an error message, then penalises me anyway. So I guess I’m not playing for the rest of the season.

3 Likes