Anyone can reset thier SR to 2350sr by purchasing a new account

you can’t stop people from loosing games on purpose

No, but you can report them to help ensure they get the suspension they deserve.

You can’t stop people from trying to escape prison, so we might as well give all the prisoners keys to the place.

*losing

I dont think you understood the OP. New accounts starts around 2350, first placement game. All of them, but he want it lower. A lot of people is placed way higher than they belong and its confusing for them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s true. OP made a thread not long ago where he tried to find 5 people who were 999 SR higher than him in order to boost him.

I see you parrot random stuff you have no idea about.

That chart is trash because it samples some open profiles which in turn are a small ‘more keen and honest’ biased subset of the actual ladder. The actual ladder is a cesspool of private alt accounts and most of those infect the left-side ranks.

Its lognormal now, strongly right-skewed because of low ranks smurfing. According to that site, 1800 is bottom 8%, and 4000 is top 16%. Thats just plain wrong. 2 out of 10 accounts is not >3800. All of bronze isn’t 2%.

The top 10% is 4300!? Isn’t that well within Top500? If T500 is 10% of the population, you’d have a total active base of 5000. Ridiculous. It is purported that there are well over 100k active acounts in comp.

2 Likes

Sources, please. Otherwise I’m going to have to say that you’re just parroting random stuff you have no idea about.

yes, but how can you tell for sure? no one has time to go and look at replays of every game they think had a throwers.

and it’s really easy to derank without be suspicious, just miss every shot by 1 inch lol

did you know it’s not a crime to attempt to escape prison in Germany

yeah, so if your very fist competitive game is at 2450sr bracket, and 80% of those accounts that play their first game, lose their first game, then the spot where people enter in the bracket should be lowered.

it’s not fair to make the people who have well established accounts and are also at 2450, it’s not fair to make those people play against all the new accounts

I’m not doing baby parrot’s first stats homework when they should be off these forums and youtubing statistics for numskulls 101. That chart is ridiculous. All of bronze isn’t 1-2% of the population. The T250 (i.e. 4300+) isn’t 10% of the population.

Do you really think there are only ~4300 competitive players in all of PC/NA ? Of course not, don’t be daft.

But don’t take my word for it, we can approximate using publically available citations, such as copies sold, active users, and what not. Multiple sources are out there and you can fudge factor those numbers down to get estimates of 1-2 orders of magnitude away from n=5000.

Also: The same site (masteroverwatch.com) has comp data for 48141 (open) NA/PC accounts right now (it varies slightly). That means a Top10% would be 4800 players. Since T500 is literally Top500, and the site claims its ~Top12% by rank, you know there is a HUGE mismatch somewhere.

Red flags and alarm bells.

And the N=48k → Those are just the ones with open profiles the API can auto-scrub. We can infer the number of private profiles by checking the ratio of open/closed after each match. Based on a significant number of screenshots of open/closed profiles, it seems around 1 in 8 profiles is open. Thats being generous, but others could chime in here to get a better idea of the open/closed ratio. So when you multiply by 8, you’re up around 400k ‘active in comp in the last month’ accounts.

How one could get from 400k (even if its only 100k of proper active) to ‘4300sr is top 10%’ is beyond me.

It shows a gross misinterpretation of the ladder and playerbase, and even the site’s own presentation is inconsistent and questionable. That chart should be rejected. The shape of the curve is lognormal, as I have said, inflated by private burner accounts in the lower ranks.

2 Likes

Do new accounts start at 2350 during placements? I recall some high level players making sure to only level using custom games/arcade to guarantee their first placements were against bronze players for their “unranked to gm” stuff. Bronze players I’ve known started out placing against silvers/bronze players. I always thought it was partially weighted by the games played until level 25.

Maybe this will be a little easier for you to comprehend:

No, even dafran had his first placement game on new account in that elo. If he would lose all placement, he would end up in silver, maybe even bronze lol.

1 Like

There might be a cap to how high the account can be weighted before going into comp. There are several people, though, who placed against bronze accounts by completely avoiding quickplay while getting to level 25. Other people, like Dafran and mL7, who level up by playing quickplay, I’ve always seen place against golds.

no, you start at 2450sr no matter what happened when you leveled up in Quick Play

you actually start at 0 MMR which is about 2450sr. However this will drift slightly. 0 MMR is smackdab in the middle of the player base. So one day 0 MMR might be 2432 and the next day it might be 2458, or something like that.

I disagree with this. New players with some FPS experience will most likely be average. Players with significant, high level experience will be above average, and those with no experience will be below average.

There are exceptions, of course, but it’s not correct to say new players won’t be average.

this isn’t even really the problem

the middle 10% of the population will have to play with/against every single brand new level 25 account.

there’s a 90% chance that that new account will be misranked (whether ranked too high or too low)

What is this based on though? I’m not denying this, but like I said, I’ve seen players play against exclusively bronze or silver players in their first placement match. I haven’t seen anything from Blizzard that lays out how fresh accounts are handled when doing placements.

1 Like

They are against boosting so it would contradict their values. They don’t want gold to be a hell of bronze players who boosted out

I’d say this is as close as we’ll ever get to actually know what’s going on. Until they actually come out and release the MMR formula

You can disagree, but you’re not at all correct.

• The most important role in the game is tanking, and that has zero carry-over from most FPS. Bad tanking will make a game very, very difficult for the rest of the team.
  • This game also has an incredible amount of CC, which is specific to this game.
  • This game also requires hero knowledge and teamwork based on the hero pool, and requires a fair bit of counter play.
  • The most FPS-specific skillset, aim, is different in OW because there is no momentum. AD spam and even crouch is completely wrong.

When I see top 100 players genuinely struggle in gold or plat, what does that say about the play-experience for everyone else? When a god-like FPS player is basically hovering between 2800 to 3100, that tells me that most of the FPS skillset doesn’t even carry over.

In short, putting new accounts into 2500 on average is wrong; not because players won’t end-up being average but because it makes the game highly-consistent at every rank below high diamond.

2 Likes