Any plans to fix the silent footsteps bug?

This particular bug to be more specific: There is a problem with sounds in Overwatch and it needs to be looked at

Off screen enemies are impossible to hear, usually they don’t make any sound at all when there’s on screen enemies. Sure it’s nice to have audio matching visuals, but surely Reaper teleporting right behind me is kinda maybe important too?

I don’t think any other game breaking bug (Sym tp-ing into map geometry, Mei wall allowing people to fly, Giant Sprays of Numbani, …) has been in the game for this long, usually they get patched out pretty swiftly. Will OW2 finally fix this?

12 Likes

I think it’s a whack-a-mole bug that keeps coming back in new forms. For example, a month or so ago I was getting silent D.Va ults regularly, and now that seems to be fixed - but Ninjahog is more common.

4 Likes

If I’m dueling with another player it’s really common for the Hogs, Reapers and McCreeps creeping up on you to make no sound at all. Someone smarter than I said in an old bug report discussion that it has something to do with the audio mixer that overprioritises on screen action over off screen and obscured action. It certainly feels true to me, and it’s especially noticeable in FFA.

1 Like

Audio has been a the worst in this game.

Character footsteps are nearly silent most of the time (even huge heavy characters), but when I play FFA it’s like in hearing the entire map at once. It gets really difficult to understand where people are.

I hope they could at least handle this issue for the new engine.

4 Likes

The core gamemodes are at least somewhat tolerable since not literally everyone else is an enemy out there to kill you, but FFA is unplayable because of this bs bug. I cannot fathom as to why this isn’t a top priority on the fix-as-fast-as-possible list, it’s game ruining. Postpone OW2 if that’s what it takes.

I certainly hope this isn’t intended because if it is I will quit OW for good.

1 Like

Yea theres something wrong with footstep sounds for sure. Sometimes I’m perfectly able to hear them, but other times it’s almost like they teleported behind me… This should be a priority to fix, don´t know why it’s taking so long. At least they should aknowledge that they know something is wrong with the sounds.

2 Likes

I swear Hog levitates in FFA. Can’t hear his footsteps until its too late.

2 Likes

There are lots of time I won’t hear Widowmakers shots at all. Same for Ashe.
Is this a common thing? I turned my music audio setting down to 80 and there are times I still don’t hear them.

1 Like

Very common. Audio effects coming from off screen are inaudible because the audio mixer prioritises on screen stuff --> McCreeps, levitating Hogs and silent Reapers.

I’m gonna be honest I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this bug, but I think I’ve seen teammates experience it. I hear everyones footsteps usually from pretty far away & my teammates seem to have absolutely no idea. I figured it was just a headphone difference but maybe it’s a bug I just haven’t had happen

…I actually kinda want to draw that now lol. Hog in a ninja outfit.

3 Likes

Ninja hog is more scary than a genji getting the drop on me, I hear you on that bug needing to get fixed

4 Likes

I get it regardless of whether I use speakers or a headset, and it’s been occuring in one form or another since last year. That’s when I switched subtitles on, because Hanzo and McCree’s ult lines couldn’t be heard if they were behind me - with results as obvious as they were hilarious.

Meanwhile I can hear Zen pop balloons on the other side of Blizzard World as if he was right next to me.

1 Like

Weird. I’ve never experienced anything like that. I’ve never had someone creep up on me unless they were crouching

Still relevant despite blizzard making footsteps louder

2 Likes

It’s just bad, it’s as if we’re still in beta. Except beta had reliable footsteps.

Bump

OWL players dont moan about this for some reason but they die to stuping flanks all the time, seems like everyone got used to bad sound quality

1 Like

Ninja Phara is annoyingly consistent for me. Had a Phara hover over the supports and I for few seconds before ulting and we heard nothing before “Rocket Barrage!”

2 Likes

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

I regularly get completely silent tracer ults.

I can’t hear enemy zens charging their orbs 9/10.

Don’t get me started on Mccheese.