Another Papa Jeff memory

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/i-was-falsely-banned-for-hacking/489420/68

I miss jeffs absolute shutdowns on the forums.

What an absolute legend he was.

You are still missed :saluting_face:

10 Likes

I hearted it.

Miss ya Jeff, send us a post card once in a while.

3 Likes

ā€œThe Man, the Myth, the legend!ā€

HEH. I remember when ā€œTigoleā€ use to post the whole Jeff from the Overwatch team segments on youtube. They were goofy and funny.

I think what made it kinda unique was the game was about the player at first.

Then came commercialized Overwatch ā€œleagueā€. Which just ruined it for everyone.

ā€œJephā€.
ā€œJeffā€™s complaint about his bobba tea memesā€

The Silent Yule log stream, as he staired into your SOUL and the staff trolling him with rancid milkā€¦

ā€œBlink Morse code Jeff, if you are being held against your willā€.

Oh those were the daysā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

My favourite Jeff moment was when he presided over the Moth Mercy rework, the introduction of Brigitte and then allowed GOATS and Double Shield to be a thing for months on end while turbobuffing Cassidy with buffs nobody asked for :heart_eyes:

But he looked at a camera and read from a script in a slightly awkward fashion so we love him :smile:

4 Likes

Because that decision was exclusively Jeffā€™s responsibility Of course!!! My mistake!

another one

My favorite was the time he revealed a guy who got banned for ā€œno reasonā€ actually accumulated 85,000 reports against his account, averaging something like 500+ reports per day. Absolutely dunked on.

I got a picture of one of his posts but I canā€™t post it here.

The quote is this.

"We checked the IP address of the account you posted from and found a suspended account.

That account has a total of 2247 complaints filed against it ā€“ making it one of the worst offending accounts weā€™ve seen. The account has also been silenced for a total of 9216 hours. There are 3 gameplay suspensions on the account as well as 7 silences against this account ( These are for abusive chat and/or spam ). There is also a manual GM account suspension for ā€œmassive griefingā€ levied.

So Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s the account youā€™re referring to or not, but someone from your IP has been a less-than-ideal OW citizen.

If thatā€™s not your account, please let us know what the BattleTag is and Iā€™m happy to look into it further. The last thing we want is good, upstanding members of the community being punished unfairly. "

Absolute legend.

I assume he had to approve any changes before they went in to the game. It wasnā€™t entirely his fault but to try and claim Jeff wasnā€™t at least partially responsible is just wrong.

1 Like

I never said he wasnā€™t. But if we judged jeff purely on the negatives and not the engagement and positivity he brought to the community then more fool us.

Heā€™s not perfect. But he cared about both the game and the community and did what he could to try keep everyone happy.

1 Like

Fair, but I do not believe balancing the game was his core job and iirc he was in the mid-upper metal ranks. He was a lead director, so his job was more-so making sure the game as a whole was moving in the right direction and I believe he was successful in that endeavor overall.

As a director he was likely aware of the issues and communicating with his team concerning resolutions, but we canā€™t expect him to not approve any balance changes or new heroes until he hit top 500.

So in that sense I do think itā€™s unfair to imply that the reason for those balancing issues is Jeff. Yes, he was involved, but thereā€™s only so much he can do.

On the other hand, Jeff tended to shy away from taking responsibility for things that didnā€™t land like he thought they should, or try to fix them.

One of the key things that Yoshi-P (FFXIVā€™s lead director/producer) gets right is that heā€™s extremely transparent about why something is or isnā€™t possible, and if something proves to be extremely unpopular he reassures everyone almost immediately that he will make sure the team prioritizes fixing it because he wants players to enjoy the game. A big part of his design philosophy is that the game is made possible by the fans, so the game should be made for the fans.

When was the last time Lord Jeff or Jarl Aaron made any kind of post like that?

This seems like youā€™re talking about the style of update.

Jeff typically just said what the team was ā€œhard at workā€ on which tells you what theyā€™re trying to do/fix and also gave some examples. And heā€™s mentioned plenty of times that the team was thinking of the players and their experience. Additionally, he was surprisingly active on the forums especially when compared to other industry leaders.

So Iā€™m of the opinion that we got enough information in general, but the delivery may not have meshed well with some.