Ana and Widow interaction

Did we accidentally get a sneak peak at some sort of Widow “deprogramming” or a major storyline RE: Talon?

Ana: “It seems I was wrong about you Amélie”

Widow: “I thought you’d have gotten used to that feeling by now.”

Or maybe she never killed Gerard at all and it was a different Talon / OW agent?

I think this line is more of an antagonistic one with a different interpretation than what you took from it.

I read it as, Ana saying she was wrong about Amelie, who she used to know, and made her hesitate in the past (As seen in Legacy). Perhaps she was wrong about thinking she was redeemable?

With either interpretation, Widowmaker’s response is the same. She is snarking that Ana should be used to being wrong.

I think that would be a severe detriment to Widowmaker’s character, whose entire identity is built around that single event.

Sorry, where did these new lines come from? Is the Xmas patch live already?

Interesting. The reason I don’t think so is how… cheery? Ana sounds when she says it. She doesn’t sound angry or disappointed at all to me.

Good point.

Its been a regular voice line in the game since about Ana’s release.

Its odd that you mention Ana questioning Widow’s integrity or her legacy, because her other voiceline of “Girard was a fool to ever trust you” means Girard had more trust than just a wife; he probably entrusted her with some kind of OW secrets or organizational power to which she exploited when she assassinated him. That or he thought she was fine after the brainwashing and everyone else could see it.

No. This came in the summer of 2018.

Not that interaction. The Gerard/Autograph interactions were there since her release, but this one is new.

The claim that Widowmaker was brainwashed by Talon into killing her husband always struck me as damage control made up after the fact by the Overwatch leaders to hide some kind of scandal. From the lines between Ana and Widowmaker, I deduced that Amelie Lacroix was alienated from her husband as a result of discovering he was having an affair with a female Overwatch agent. She then killed him out of jealousy and then joined Talon to hunt down Gerard’s lover, whose identity would still be unknown. That Widowmaker and Tracer have had at least two dramatic fights in official game lore would indicate to me that she was the girlfriend of Gerard, except Tracer is now considered to be a lesbian.

Ana’s line about being wrong about Widowmaker is a callback to her other interaction where she says “Gerard was a fool to love someone like you.” Ana knows that Widowmaker didn’t kill him willingly, so therefore she was wrong in assuming that she did.

Turning Widowmaker into a jealous wife would be the worst plot twist possible.

5 Likes

an ow memeber killed gerard
and now she’s hunting him down from talon