An alternate take on how to fix DPS queue times

so, why do you play overwatch and not some other game?

Because there are shooters in Overwatch? Seriously. Do you need every single thing explained? If there are shooter characters in a shooter game there will be people who play shooters because they like shooter characters.

thanks man, I appreciate that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

But why not another shooter? That’s my question. Why do you play this one and not fortnite, CSGO or something else with a shorter queue time for you to just shoot?

1 Like

Because we’re not toddlers that believe all games are the exact same.

dude. untilt. I’m legitimately trying to get at the heart of your motivation for playing this game. why do you love this one enough to post on a message board? It’s likely the same reason I do, and I just would like for the motivating rewards to be as strong for other roles. It would benefit you, because you would have shorter queue times. So why would you try to fight me on that?

I like shooters. But that doesn’t mean every shooter character is a CoD character. I like certain shooter characters in Overwatch (Bastion), but that doesn’t change the fact that I like him as a shooter character. I could never main a hero who doesn’t primarily get elims. That’s the way I play any game. If I play a tank or support in Dota 2, I find a way to kill enemies with it.

And your argument is that none of those games provide any kind of positive reinforcement for landing shots or getting kills?

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, what I have taken away from your arguments is that 1) you claim that sounds, awards, and markers don’t provide players with positive reinforcement and that 2) giving such reinforcements to tank and support players would be a bad idea.

If I’ve misinterpreted, I apologize. I come from a psychology and educaiton background, so I am simply trying to propose a way to relieve the massive queue times through the things we already understand about human nature. Further, I want to point out that not every player is just out to get kills. In fact, I play overwatch because I am able to play heroes in which I can have an impact in other ways. (Even though I have been known to aggro Lucio when necessary.)

This is all a long way of saying I’m confused by the things you’re posting. You seem to have taken a contrary stance to subtle rewards for tanks and supports which doesn’t make sense since it would benefit dps players too.

I specifically said very clearly that assists only work if the dps does their job right. That’s pretty much it.

Every single comment you’ve done it.

First you claimed that I said you were Ana, when I made it clear it was an example already.

Then you claimed I was saying we shouldn’t have positive reinforcement. I actually never brought that up.

So I responded to that subject and you claimed I only wanted this game to cater to shooters.

Then you acted like I couldn’t tell the difference between CS:GO and Overwatch shooters and tried some sort of weird argument about how I could play any shooter at all and they’d be the same.

Then you claim I’m fighting rewards again.

Then you claim there that I said there’s no rewards.

I’m very close to just being done with this. You do put words in my mouth constantly. That’s why I’m getting short with you.

supports and tanks don’t really belong in a shooter, even if its hybrid, hence why they feel so crap to play in OW.

Take a game like SMITE where the “support” and “tank” role are centered entirely around that, supporting and tanking, it feels really good to do what you do.

doing things like playing Baron, and hitting a snake for a root, then comboing them with their 2 to heal your teammates. It feels good because you did what you were supposed to do and your kit is CENTERED around it. the fun part of the kit is still supportive, it feels good to hit the skill shot of a snake on baron and set your ADC up for an easy kill, and it also falls in line with your kit.

now we have overwatch where you hold shields, and heal bot, and shoot, giving support sure, but in no fun or rewarding way. the fun part is Shooting, but the shooting has no real tie to your role.

Its the reason why Ana and baptiste are probably the most favored supports, because they still carry out their role while having all the fun of why you come to a shooter.

people go to mobas to press buttons and land abilities, that’s the fun of it (not all of it but a big part) people come to shooters to shoot things. And supports and tanks don’t have that tied into their main kits for the most part.

What exactly do you suggest they do? Most tank and support ultimates are very flashy, have huge call outs, and can totally change the course of a game.

On fire kind of sucks, because you can literally stand on the objective more than other people and become on fire without doing much else. I don’t think anyone puts much weight into it.

POTG is a crap system as well. They’ve tried to weight it more heavy to supports and what not with “lifesaver” type POTG’s, but they are usually pretty lackluster to watch.

As an example, they could improve the feedback for blocking damage with a shield. Let’s compare the feedback you get when you’re blocking damage vs when you’re killing enemies.

When you shoot someone, you get a hitmarker in the form of an audio cue and an animation around your crosshair, giving you immediate confirmation that you’ve done something good.
If you land a crit, you get a special dink noise and a special animation.

Both the regular and crit hit indicators are specifically designed to instill a sense of impact and importance - This is why regular hits use a white ‘hit’ animation with a noise (I don’t even know what to call it, you know the one) and crit hits use a larger red animation with a ‘dink’.

And then when you kill someone, you get a big red skull and a special ‘enemy killed’ sound. Your kill also appears in the killfeed for everyone to see.

Compare that to what happens when you’re blocking damage. If a shot hits your shield, it disappears with the same visual indicator as though it hit the wall behind you (i.e, explosives will explode and hitscan shots will just disappear). You get a “something hit your shield” noise that is always the same.

If there was parity between the killing/blocking motivators:

• Blocked shots would have special visual indicators.
  • Blocked shots that would have hit someone would be emphasised with a special visual and audio effect.
  • Blocked shots that would have killed someone would be further emphasised.

Improving this feedback for tanking would also improve the POTG issue (that support/tank potgs are visually boring outside of big ults) - The watchers can immediately see and hear the work that the Rein did because they can see the block-markers and life-safing blocks in the replay, instead of just seeing them hold rmb and throw a firestrike.

I know that tanking and healing does use these sorts of feedback mechanisms, but they’re super weak compared to the DPS ones.

1 Like

Well, an example of this in the game already would be Zarya. She has quite an appealing “build up” sound as people hit her bubbles and she gets charge.

1 Like

That’s a good example - I’m not saying that these things don’t exist for tanks or supports, just that they’re not nearly as consistent.

DPS spends the entire game shooting at people and getting hitmarkers - Many times a second in some cases - Zarya bubbles (herself or a friendly) roughly twice every 10 seconds at most.

I’m all for this and do believe it would make some impact, but no matter what DPS will be generally viewed as the most fun. Most video games are you dominating against AI (story games) defeating an opponent (general games with a versus mode) or racking a ton of kills (general FPS) Most people who play OW will have a history of video games played and the video game culture rewards you defeating, outdoing or simply dominating your opponents. Tanks and Supports do not fit this mold and require a player to shift their perspective and forget everything they know about video games first.

Not just that but as humans we don’t like to be defeated. DPS are considered the most possible to carry with, even if they’re not as strong as the Tanks or Supports because of their kill potential. So people try to look for a fast and easy way to win and think mastering DPS is the way to do so. Plus people hate to die or feel defenseless, meaning they’ll go DPS just to win a duel to not die. If they do die, they’re more likely to get revenge kills on someone with DPS rather than the other roles.

The last thing to look at that makes DPS more appealing to the average player is the fact that we praise the role. Because of the first two paragraphs I stated, we look at DPS as the ideal hero with the most fun potential. With the fact everyone wants to play DPS, we get less chances to play it ourselves. Therefore we end up having a bigger itch to play the heroes we never get to.

So in theory, you can make Supports and Tanks more appealing but DPS will always be the most played. It’s accessible, translates with most video games, straight forward and doesn’t look like a chore to the average player.

My favorite role to play as is Support

Sometimes I think the “kill feed” shouldn’t be only a “kill feed”.

It should display important and impactful actions done by supports and tanks as well, such as D.va/Sigma eating ults, or LĂșcio and Zen completely denying X amount of damage.

But to be fair, there is some positive visual reinforcement you get for being a support or tank. When you play Mercy, for example, you will get the Red Skull after successfully assisting an ally with Dmg Boost. Ana will get the Red Skulls when nano boosted ally kills enemies.

As any support, you will get the (small) visual mark of “assist” anytime you use your utility ability or healing in an ally who kills an enemy (like LĂșcio speed boosting ally Reaper who kills an enemy).

As tank, you get the visual mark of “blocking” with abilities such as D.va’s DM, or any shield.

I just think the “Red Skull” is much more impactful and gratifying to see. They should create a “Red Skull” version of tanking and supporting.

Exactly - This is a good example of the kind of motivator that’s present for DPS play and missing for support and tank play.

You’re right, there is, but personally, I don’t feel that they’re nearly as motivating as hit/kill indicators. Perhaps the issue isn’t that these motivators aren’t there, but the less-than-obvious connection between your action and the action being rewarded.

2 Likes

Also Healers chances of getting POTG got buffed I think. I’ve seen a good amount of Healer POTGs with some of them not deserving it. I gravitoned a team and my Pharah wiped them out with barrage (a 5k at that) The play goes to enemy Moira during that moment with her using coalescence on her team in the grav, and didn’t get a kill with it, an assist or save a life with it. She only got crap ton of healing and ran away afterwords.

This example makes me think making Supports get POTGs just from healing isn’t a good idea since there could be no play going on and leave the players confused. Healers should get POTGs from dmg or speed boosting the team into getting kills. Rezzing a guy who gets kills afterwords or pocketing a team member who gets play. That or healing a lot while also preventing your team from dying (i.e. transcing 3 ults at once or something)

It’s drastically skewed. The POTG system really sucks. Moira’s ultimate, for instance, can often get it because she touches a lot of people. Then there are support like Mercy who it’s virtually impossible to get POTG on anymore.