AMD crashes after Anniversary event patch?

Back in February, Overwatch began sporadically crash my system. I would play for a while, and then my screen would go dark. Sound would continue for a few moments, then begin to loop. The computer would not respond in any way: I could not alt-tab, alt-ctl-del, or even use the hardware reset key; the only thing I could do was use the manual power switch to shut down and then start up again. Sometimes, though not always, after such a crash, I would get the message “Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure.”

After trying upgrading (and I think reverting) graphics drivers without a fix, I found that if I turned my in-game graphics settings down from “Ultra” to “High” the game ran fine, so all was well enough. However, after the most recent patches installing the Archives event, the problem has begun to recur. I turned my settings down to “medium” but that did not help. I also tried adjusting the maximum power setting in WattMan as I had seen suggested elsewhere online, but that did not help either. Most frustrating as I was hoping to earn some anniversary loot boxes; but I’m lucky if I can get through an entire match without crashing. (I’m sure several people are annoyed at me for vanishing in the midst of one of the Archives matches. It does not only crash during those – I have had it bomb out during training missions vs. AI that I tried as an experiment as well.)

I have written AMD tech support and am working with them, but the problem started occurring immediately after the most recent Overwatch update I wanted to bring it here as well. (I was hoping the post-update patch might help but it did not.) The issue has only ever occurred with one other game: I recently dowloaded the online game Blade & Soul. I was able to get through the character generator screen, but launching the game caused the same kind of crash every time. (Most of my other games are older and put less demand on the graphics, if that’s a factor.)

Anyone else have similar issues since the event started? Any suggestions welcomed.

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2.00, 2/24/2018
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Adapter Type AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
Adapter Description Radeon RX 580 Series
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Installed
Driver Version 25.20.15031.5004

Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 75 hertz

WIndows 10, Home edition. all updates installed.

1 Like

any news ? i have the same problem but with a better pc and my asus rx480 on 100% fan is loud like a mig 29 doing an afterburner take off … get your on blizzard i bought this game and i cant go past the menu screen without up my pc (btw i did the same things new drivers , old drivers , playing with settings medium , high, ultra , fps limit 30,60 , screen , etc. nothing) if this will up my pc you know who will pay to repair it …

[Edited by blizzard: removed vulgarity - please constructively post about your problem. Further behavior of this nature may result in suspensions of your forum posting privileges.]

Likely an overheating problem. Edit: Going to quote steps from the staff, which should help narrow this down.

after 30 minutes of abuse
imgur dot com/a/M4smeBS

btw your game takes 2-3 minutes to the the work(crash) not 3 hours, overheating is not a problem your or amds incompetence maybe
btw thx so i cant take part in the limited time only event

oh and other more poorly and better optimised games run just fine its only yours (fallout 76 ,warthunder , division 2 hell i can play in vr and no problems with overheating)
edit : and i could run the game last year but not right now , its like tha latest update did something hmmm

Seriously your GPU hit 92 degrees and your fans run at 100%.
If it was Fahrenheit then sure that’s fine but that’s unlikely the case. We could argue what “overheat” would actually mean but regardless 92 degrees is hot and that’s the reason for 100% fan speed. Whatever it crashes because it get to hot and the fans can’t control it I don’t know but maybe it does.

Try to figure out why it becomes 92 degrees if that’s not typical. What case do you have and what case fans? Start by blowing out the dust from the cooler of the graphics card and try to see if all fans spin / maybe you could mount it all on a piece of cardboard or something so you can see better. Plenty of cases provide poor air-flow and those who are doing a better work doesn’t necessarily work as well for both CPU and graphics card. If the fan wasn’t a broken fan or poor connection between cooler and board then one could assume that the case isn’t well ventilated at all in the front or that it could use some more fans, then again the HDD temperature is just 29 degrees so maybe the case isn’t getting hot inside and then maybe the graphics card is the problem rather than the case.

mate i will make a god damn video just for you what kind of 100% are we talking about
Edit : no i wont im too tired to deal with this anymore if you dont believe me that only your game makes my pc wind up the fans to 100% and blackscreen like breaking the amd drivers thant its your loss

I have this same problem aswell and it only happens with this game. I can play Battlefield 5 all dam day with no issues.

1 Like

Operating above 83C you’re likely see throttling of your GPU performance (according to the AMD forums and guru3d review site), so your fan is trying its best to cool down your GPU. Running at temps that are too high for the component can cause damage. It’s possible there is a problem with your card or just your cooling setup. However, please refrain from hijacking someone else’s thread.

Edited for clarity since my post was taken too literally/not understood.

Were you able to get the requested screenshots?

problem fixed for me , tomorrow i’ll test it more and post what i did

A GPU isn’t made of water though. And as for boiling temperature that would be when it vaporizes not melts. You’re of course free to just casually mentioning the boiling temperature of water in a sentence even where water isn’t relevant but then … It’s not really relevant. Silicon melts at 1414 degrees celsius so 101 degrees isn’t going to leave your with a puddle.

Anyway he said 100% fan and 92 degrees and I have a hard time to interpret that as something else than what he said. I can totally understand how a graphics card will run the fans at 100% if the GPU is 92 degrees. That make perfect sense. As for why the CPU is 92 degrees I don’t know but reasonable guesses is a problem with the cooler or with the ventilation of the case. Guess possibly also if some component failure could lead to higher voltage.

Thank you for taking the time to correct me. I often make the comparison to boiling so people will realize that the temp is seriously high and should be addressed. I have edited my response for clarity. However, we can end this hijacking here, since Barkas responded that their issue was resolved.

@Pinniped - Do you still need help? Did you get those screenshots?