Am I the only one who find solo competitive ungrindable?

Hello dear community, this is a bottle thrown at the sea to try to get some feedback on your average competitive experience, and sharing mine too.

I love playing OW, it’s an exellent game with tons of cool heroes, but when i start playing competitive, i feel like i can never win a single game, or if i win streak (like 5 games for example) i instanlty loose everything i won in like less than 30 minuts (and more, oftenly the double), even if i hard carry my team, make every possible kills to make my mate job easier to the victory. And due to my actual studies, i don’t have like entire days to give to the game, even more if it’s to just get frustrated again and again.

I feel that the Matchmaking never help on that, my tank always greed as f and get instant killed, and of course they do the same thing right after, and this almost every games (i’m DPS main). Support problems is more rare in my case, but still here too (ex : my torb is dying and the moira prefer to dps the team instead of healing him, and he dies). And these examples are happening everytime i launch competitive, no matter what i do, i almost never can win, and so i never can rank up, just loosing due to bad mates is a real hell. Imma start beleiving that streamers (who always seemsto won every single game) are buying their ennemy mates to win lol (jk of course).

So, am i the only one who experience absolutely painful competitive everytime i launch it ??

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the nature of rank in a team-based game is that your win rate is going to be close to 50% – a little over if you’re playing better than your rank, a little under if worse. Even a Plat player in a Gold lobby might only manage 60%, because there’s only so much carrying one teammate can do. Some games you just have to take as opportunities to practice.

And the nature of random coin flips like this is you won’t get a nice steady win-lose-win-lose, you tend to get runs of wins and losses. So yeah, sometimes you’re gonna feel like you’re unstoppable and sometimes you’re gonna feel miserable. Just gotta manage your tilt, if you wanna enjoy the game.

2 Likes

both supports go lifeweaver and mercy vs a bap and kiri/brig/moira/ana , & team wonders why theres so much pressure and they keep dying = tank diff

support goes 6-14 with 12k heals vs a support with 5-5 and 11k heals and wonders why they lost despite them dying alot = tank diff

tank switches to hog to counter the enemy team comp and pressure, but then someone switches to ana and none of his supports go kiri = tank diff

people are really bad at spotting support diffs .

4 Likes

There is so many variables to why people win or lose it is mind blowing. I don’t think a good mindset is to focus on your teammates being bad, but not for the reason you might think.

Literally, the only person you have any control over is yourself and your own performance so literally the only thing you can do consistently is try to improve yourself.

That being said, yeah, sometimes it is your teammates fault that you lose games.

The ranked experience is bad because of balance. The ranked experience is bad because they made a team based game that most people just play selfishly in. People are more concerned with their big play of the game or picking their favorite hero rather than strategizing as a team and working together to get a streak of wins. It’s why we watch professional level of play and it looks cool but then we hop on ladder and realize most of the time it’s pretty frustrating to play.

Ever wonder why there is a wait period before the match starts…? It was suppose to have been so we can strategize as a team and form team compositions. A moment to get our plan made and then perform. Guess what people use it for? To punch walls or spray walls or hop around waving hello. I’m sorry to say but the majority of the community is just casual. The developers have blame too don’t get me wrong there is a plethora of problems and I’m afraid the best overwatch will ever be in ladder is if you’re lucky enough to have 4 trusted friends you get along with and are relatively similar skill levels to play with you.

Im just playing to grind the battle pass nowadays, rank dont mean much. doesnt rep skill at all. I should be alot higher up, but Ill stay down here spammin killin these newbs.
Just went 44/0. EZ

More so than ungrindable. The competitive game mode is in the worst state It could be; its no fun. its not fun to win or loose. the que system takes forever and although they say your matched at your own skill level the games I play are either us getting smashed or us smashing the opponent. either result is not fun. This game is one of the biggest abject failures I have ever seen for something that at one time had TONS of potential. WoW arena feels more fun than this and thats not a compliment to either game. Its almost as if Blizzard has forgotten how to make a fun PvP experience which blows my mind when they own call of duty, I mean the formula is right in front of you…

I did well this season and the last on two accounts. I had to get really good for it to be worth playing. Yeah, it’s grindy unless you’re going 70%+. I just don’t play anymore because of the grind. I think I dropped down to around 60%. It’s a pain unless you’re way better than your rank.

1 Like

A Plat def wouldn’t have a winrate that high in a Gold lobby :joy:

53% at best

Not saying you’re wrong, but do you have a source for that number?

I heard of one top 500 player who claimed he had to maintain an 80% win rate just to keep his rank, and I believe that, because it’s the same way in chess. There are so few top-rated players that they usually end up playing against significantly lower-rated opponents, whom they’re expected to beat most of the time. On that basis, 60% for a full rank difference (e.g. Gold 3 vs Silver 3) seemed like a reasonable guess.

Yeah I stay gold-low plat usually, multiple accounts, I rarely see Win rates above 45-50%, hundreds of matches per seasons.
60% will get you above gold/plat for sure.

1 Like

Some give this man a award, now wait till he finds out there are support dedicated to griefing tanks

No. The ranks just aren’t far enough apart for a Plat to have a winrate like 60% in Gold. 60% is a CRAZY winrate. Like, actually crazy. The last time I had 60% I went from M5 to GM5 in a day, and the difference between Masters and GM is just way bigger than the difference between Gold and Plat.

1 Like

With a 60% winrate youd climb in metal ranks easily. The exception for needing a high winrate just to maintain the rank may happen in the very top ranks only. (like top 50)
Even there id think its like closer to 60% winrate than 80%.

Issue is once the game sets you at your “MMR” even with a 70% winrate you only gain 5-9% a win. You would burnout before you reach your real rank.

Theres no such thing as the game setting you at an mmr and giving you lower SR for wins alone because of that.

Completely wrong. Once the game determines your MMR range your Progression amount goes to next to nothing.

Its not wrong at all, because this doesnt happen.

Point taken, but there’s this wrinkle: as you climb, your opponents get harder to beat. So if you’re ranked silver but playing at a gold level, a 60% winrate wouldn’t mean you win like, 60 of your next 100 games. It just means the few games you play with that rank difference, you have a 60% chance of winning. Then you rank up, and now you’re playing with say a 55% chance of winning, then you rank up again and it’s down to 53%, etc.

If you maintained a 60% win rate over the course of a day, while ranking up, it’s likely you started the day with an even higher win rate and then kinda slowed your roll toward the end of the day.

1 Like

Cope.

And that can be completely inaccurate. My old account that had like a single season of ranked play on it has me stuck in Plat because it remembers my rank.

Made a new account. Did placements and placed in Master’s. Same heroes. Same role. Same play.

Blizz rank systems have always behaved like this. It is awful.