Am I the only one experiencing this?

Okay, this isn’t going to be like me “hating on Blizzard.”

I’m just genuinely curious. Is anyone else nonstop getting ball/hog as your tanks and you just feel like you can’t do anything the whole time no matter what hero you’re on?

It’s literally nonstop and honestly, as someone who never really gets out of the mood to play OW… This is making me. It’s honestly the most annoying thing ever.

Tank’s have been bothering me for the past few months a bit, but now it just feels like 4 dps doing nothing and you can’t do anything to change that. You struggle and so do your dps because it just feels like part of your team is missing…

I don’t even know. I’m just curious, is anybody else experiencing this and getting frustrated from it, or is it just me and I just need to take a break for a bit?

Edit: And again, I don’t mean this as hate on balance or anything… I’m just curious if others feel this was or if it’s just me and I need to like check myself.

1 Like

As a Support main myself, I cant stress how much I prefer Roadhog/Ball/Zarya comps over any type of Shield comp.
When Roadhog/Ball/Zarya is in the game, it feels like things actually happen.
When Orisa/Sigma/Rein is in the game, I feel like a Pocket-bot who sits behind Shields and honestly tabs out in GM level games.

Guess its preference. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe, I guess it probably depends on the rank too.

Idk, I’ve just been getting really frustrated out of this to the point where I don’t even want to play anymore.

It’s also affecting how I personally play. I think bc OW is my first FPS game, my aim has never been super good, but I’ve gotten it a lot better. But, when I get frustrated and such, it just gets super bad.

I’m not normally one to get frustrated at games either, so idk. That’s kinda why I came here. I wanted to see if it was just me or if others agree.

It’s because the whole tank roster is very underpowered and it feels like we tank mains can’t do anything or even shield for long , so unfortunately because most tanks are still nerfed from Goats era those changes were never reversed … so because ball , hog , Zarya seem op it’s because those are the only “ good tanks “ we have because rest of them are underpowered

Ball/Zarya are the only 2 tanks who HAVEN’T been absolutely gutted by Blizzard. Hog is just not AS gutted as everyone else.

I’m not experiencing this, but I’m gold. Also, Ball/hog have a huge amount of counters, so the whole “can’t do anything” is a bit silly.

1 Like

I think it only feels like you can’t do anything when the Hog Ball don’t know how to properly engage the enemy team with them to be a big enough threat to make space and be a distraction for the dps and support to do things. Or the dps and support don’t capitalize enough on the openings that the Hog Ball make, even if no kills were made. It’s a per case basis. True gold shouldn’t be doing Hog Ball because probably somebody on the team won’t know how to capitalize on the opportunities presented in team fights.

I see a lot of feeding and selfish plays. I really feel bad for shield tanks when their second tank leaves them for dead for a cheeky DPS play.

As a support, I feel I can shift resources away from those and put them into other players like the DPS.

That or go Zenyatta, two can play this game.

1 Like

When I bother to play, which is getting rarer and rarer, my games are stilted beyond measure. Either in my favor or against, it frankly doesn’t matter, it’s been like… 2 months since I had a game where I felt like both sides were evenly matched and in it to win it.

Best match I had lately was a hardcore Rein Zarya tank duo who were just dominating the enemy, and it was ‘good’ only in the sense that I wasn’t frustrated. The whole match took like 4-5 minutes though and it was ultimately boring so, wow, what a great game.

Frankly it just feels impossible to actually… play… Overwatch.

1 Like

The player base is far too used to having “safe” space made by shield tanks. Time to walk out and aim. Standing there with impunity for a few seconds while you get your picks. Currently it’s move in when your tanks do and capitalize on their openings in split seconds, like (I feel) it should be in a fast paced shooter.

It’s a different game than it was a few months ago for sure… but the gameplay has always been there, just less popular than now.

It’s the opposite. I mean like, I keep getting them on my team and I feel like I can’t do anything, nor can out DPS bc the game feels “off balanced” if that makes sense.

Honestly I’m not even talking about this from a competitive perspective. In comp, it does feel better as a diamond player… But in qp and such which is where I primarily play so teams aren’t as coordinated… I’m just trying to have fun and I assume everyone else is too… But then we get ball/hog and it seems like they’re just feeding the whole time and providing no utility. Were just left open and yeah…

Same, idc about winning really. I’m just trying to have fun and if were rolling or getting rolled non-stop, it’s just not as fun. Teams have felt less balanced lately… I qp and comp.

But they don’t coordinate, it feels like. It feels like theyre flanking doing nothing in the enemy teams backling just leaving us completely open. It feels like a 4v6 sometimes, esp if they do have actual tanks.

Idk. again. I think I may just be getting frustrated from one thing then it just makes everything worse and it adds up. I don’t want to take a break but maybe thats what I need. Also, again, OW is my first FPS and I think what I liked about it is that it wasn’t so fast paced… Theres so many different heroes and abilities… But now it feels like there’s not a lot of variety for the tanks specifically.

Maybe I feel like this because of all the nerfs from double barrier being meta and I just don’t realize. All I can think of is make 1-1-2-2 role lock compositions. One shield tank and one non-shield tank. This would prevent ball/hog and prevent double barrier… But theres so many problems with that too and I’m sure the dev’s have already experimented with it.

Idk, I think I’ll just take a break.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback and thoughts

Yeah, I’ve never cared about winning, as an older sibling I’m quite familiar with ‘throwing’ myself at the end of a game to ensure someone else gets a turn at the W. That’s just being a good sport. But what I -do- care a lot about is my general in game experience, and when people are getting curbstomped on either side it’s just not a good experience!

1 Like

I dont have any issues with tanks itself, unless they are busted, and imo currently all of em are manageable (minus orisa, she is still in need of help). Issue is, no matter which tank pair u got, when they play pocket billiard on choke, and u know exactly u will not make any progress or when Hog is running around in Narnia, not helping to win the mainfight.

lots of people don’t, agreed. As a ball player it’s incredibly frustrating to make openings and watch your team chase after a flanker.

Generally a Ball initiates from … well… not the front. So yeah they’re flanking, but try to press when they start getting attention.

Part of hog/ball teams is being able to fight in absolutely open space, you have to pay attention to where the enemy is paying attention to and press when it’s not you.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking ball or hog as “not actual tanks” they are just very different ways of tanking than Rein or Orisa. The comp works when applied right. Sadly it requires more coordination than most pugged groups will have or are willing to give.

Burnout is a thing… and the “desired” direction of how the game plays is changing thanks to OWL. OW used to be for everyone… but they’re very much trying to make it “exciting” to watch and have admitted as much.

It is just another video game and if it’s not fun… I’d say stop. … yknow… after the event when you’ve got the mini-event skins o_=

There are LOTS of games out there to play right now. Step back, re-evaluate and make sure you’re having FUN playing.

1 Like

Hog Ball is the meta. It doesn’t feel great to play with or as. But it is the optimal choice.

2 Likes

I rarely see ball players actually do that. Most of the time theyre just 1v1ing a dps, farming mines off to the side. Kind of like a Sombra farming EMP, except he doesn’t have hack, feeds more ult charge, and the ult he gets likely wont even impact as much as an EMP would.

But thats just to compare as to what it feels like for me personally lately.

And for the chasing a flanker, this definitely happens but I feel like most of the time the team just dies waiting on the ball to do something.

But without that extra layer, if ball/hog isn’t applying enough pressure then the team just dies fast.

This is my problem. Yes, a shield tank is overall easier for non-coordinated teams and maybe we’ve just been “spoiled”… But if the Ball/Hog isn’t applying enough pressure then we just lose a lot of value that they can apply with shields while taking free space we cannot take.

We’re not playing in coordinated games, esp in QP or comp below masters.

Yeah lol, the hug buffs. I feel like this kind of happened with Brig… If a hero is overtuned at all and people pick them up for however long, then people get super comfortable with them and you see them way more even when they aren’t overtuned, or perhaps showing they have been all along and people just havent realized.

I wish OWL wasn’t as impactful in balance decisions. But, I also understand with Activision owning Blizzard, Overwatch and Overwatch 2’s development would likely not get the funding it needs without OWL.

This is very true, this is what I always tell others too but sometimes you become blind to your own advice.

Games started to look better, esp after my friend joined, but I’m probably gunna start playing less for the next week or so… Maybe watch some shows or play WoW and such. I dunno. I already got the Echo skin, so.

I do wanna say that, I’m not on the forums too much but I see you on here almost everytime, and even though we don’t necessarily agree with everything, it’s always nice talking to you and seeing your perspective on things. From what I’ve seen, you always tend to be respectful and nice and i dunno. You just seem like a nice person. So thank you for not being extremely rude and bias like so many people on here are, including me sometimes.

Have a good night, and have fun. <3

1 Like

Widow is damn good with Ball, since, bounced people are easy to hit. I found Mercy worked well with Hog, since, if you flick boost on him when he hooks, he will always convert a hook to a kill.

Mei works well with Hog, since he will help you end anyone you wall all, but less well with Ball, since walls on the field makes his life harder.

But yeah, if you feel like Hog/Ball isn’t working for you, try Widow. It is an amazing Meta to be a Widow.

When choosing your role choose tank and then you will get exactly the tank you want every time.
If you are not willing to play the role you have 0 say on what heroes are played in that role.