Am I Missing Something Here?

Hi guys,

I’m trying to figure out what exactly is keeping me at 200fps…which I realize is a first world problem, but I have 240hz monitors, so I want to get my money’s worth.

Build:
Latest Windows 1903 Build
Intel i7 8700B
16gb (2x 8gb ram)
Radeon 5700 XT (via a Razer Chroma Core X Thunderbolt 3, nothing else plugged in to that bus)

That being said, where I’m close up on an object or wall (not a large field of view, I’ll easily hit 300 fps) anything else I’m at 200 (with those pesky three dots after the number in the fps counter)

Nothing is being maxed out on my resources. CPU utilization never exceeds 75%, GPU utilization never exceeds 85%

Latest AMD Driver, Windows, etc.

I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on here…thanks in advance!

Have you checked in your in-game settings on Overwatch to make sure your FPS is not capped? Also check out my guide which goes over advanced tips and tricks to maximize your system’s FPS to its maximum potential.

Display cap is set to 300 FPS

Thanks for the guide, I’ll check it out tonight.

In the meantime, it looks like only about 300-500mb of vram is being used on an 8gb card. I feel like this may be related since the FPS drops when field of view increases. Any thoughts?

Ballpark response here, are your RAM dims taking advantage of dual channel slots? If you have 2 RAM dims and 4 slots you should leave a space between them (as in… do not connect them next to each other). Just google it :wink:
I doubt your issue is ram-related anyways.

The triple dot means frame delay. Poke around in video settings, try changing one thing at a time and seeing how it affects those dots. You want 0 of those.

What can cause the frame delay though if nothing is being maxed out in task manager or resource monitor? Any thoughts?

All of my graphics settings are set to “off” or the lowest possible!

Having similar issue here, hardstuck at 166fps. Running SLI’d 1080’s, same settings I’ve had for years, not even using 25% of gpu. After poking around in Nvidia Inspector for a while I’m just working through rolling back drivers for now. Did notice that render scale made it’s way to ‘auto-146%’ somehow. Changing it back to 100% didn’t give any results though.

I’ll keep ya posted if rolling back to a certain driver fixes it.

Also… bringing up ctr+alt+n drops my frames by another 50. And the game hangs for about 2 seconds if I click on Options (title screen and in match)

Rolled all the way back to 391.35. No issues at all.

9 times out of 10 it’s one of these two things :

• Crap driver (try rolling it back, maybe even twice)
  • One random video setting

I’d like to try rolling back the driver. How do I do that with AMD? This is my first Red Card

turning off AVG is fixed for me somehow