All of my losses last night was due to enemy reaper!

You know, you’re right.

It’s not that Blizzard doesn’t care, far from it. It’s that most of their care isn’t in the actual quality of the game for most of the people who play it.

It’s pretty easy to see what the last several buffs, nerfs, changes, and others were put in for: Preparing for the season two of OWL.

I can’t exactly blame them, they’ve clearly dumped hundreds of millions into making the OWL a big Esports league (so much that I wonder how much of an impact it has made into their profits…maybe that explains all the layoffs), but it’s become more and more clear that they’re less focused on making the game balanced around the casual market and just general players and more for getting those sick viewership numbers.

Statistically, most of the playerbase is around the gold and plat range, with more people in bronze and silver than diamond and above after that. And so, if you have a hero like Reaper that does way too much damage, can easily escape from most situations, and that isn’t that hard to play effectively (especially with the mindset that most players at the bottom ranks have), then you can see why people are insanely frustrated.

More than that, nearly every Tank main is increasingly growing tired that each buff to every hero seems to be more and more about killing them easier, mostly because of GOATS, a meta that literally exists once in a blue moon at any rank lower than Masters. So the majority of Tank players are basically getting screwed over because of reasons they don’t entirely control, and making the act of tanking into a living nightmare (as someone with nearly 150 hours on Rein, I can say I’ve noticed a change)

But they don’t care. GOATS is something that would be used in the OWL, and they want to make the meta shift so OWL games aren’t just echo teams playing against each other. And that mentality is going to get the game thrown out of everyone’s minds eventually.

You’re exactly right. Which is why I mentioned that Blizzard has made a ton of mistakes and bad decisions, despite caring. Casual players are at a severe disadvantage in Overwatch.

But, despite the fact that a lot of people don’t like to hear it, I personally believe that casual players should not be playing competitive and then coming to the forums wondering why they can’t climb.

If you want to consistently climb, you cannot, absolutely cannot play this game in a casual manner. You have to record your competitive matches and review them with a critical eye, trying to pick out every one of your mistakes. You have to active think about what you are doing at a given moment and think about what the 6 other enemies are doing, all at the same time. Not only do you have to be thinking about what they are doing, but also why they are doing it.

If someone goes into ranked, places Bronze and doesn’t care about climbing higher, that’s fine. But when that person comes to the forums wondering why they can’t climb despite trying to remain a ‘casual’ in this game? That’s when they’re in the wrong.

Of course, all my advice in this thread has been my personal opinion. I’m by no means a GM or even Masters player.

" ALL OF MY LOSSES LAST NIGHT WAS DUE TO ENEMY REAPER! "

Players are not good enough in low ranks. So you better start climbing.

I love ‘git gud’ answers. So insightful. /s

It’s not a “git gud” answer. i just wanted to show that this thread is more about the bad matchmaking than about the reaperbuff.
He clearly thinks he deserves to win more. Maybe he’s a good support player and should be able to climb up. We can’t figure it out with the current statistics we have available. Blizzard would have to deliver a more transparent ladder system.

You can nerf reaper by yourself with a biotic grenade.

All his buffs are gone now. And thats something you can do as a support main.

Blizz doesn’t care about lower ranks.
once you accept that then you’re gtg.

If he was good enough as a support or tank or dps or whatever class he plays, he would be able to achieve at least a 51% rate to begin the climb. The issue isn’t the matchmaking. It isn’t Reaper. It isn’t any one character.

1% isn’t a large number. If you do 100 games a season you just need to win 51 of them as opposed to 50. 101 of them out of 200. Even a support doing more healing, dying less, making more clutch plays than the enemy support can swing just 1 game in their favor to achieve the 51%.

Pehaps Reaper is a crucible players have to work through to get to higher ranks.

Also, run your own Reaper if you think he’s overpowered in low ranks!

But you have to get past Diamond, and Diamond level Reapers to get through this.

Why are we not complaining of “Boosted Reapers” messing up that level, as happened with Mercy?

1 Like

That’s not a very competitive mindset.

You should NEVER be content with your rank. You should never say “oh well, not everyone can be GM.” True competitive players always strive for improvement. Even if they already ARE GM/top 500. No matter how good you are, you can always get better.

Sure, there are people who will NEVER be GM. Hell, there’s people who will never get out of bronze. But that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try. They shouldn’t just throw their hands up and be like ‘OH WELL I SUCK LOL WHO CARES.’

Care. Have some pride in what you do.

When you’ve spent 13 seasons maintaining Gold level as a Tank, you kinda realise that that is your limit.

I’m Silver now because I switched to DPS, and low and behold I need to get better as a DPS to climb. That’s fine. In a way that’s why I did it, for better flex options, my DPS win rates always sucked anyway.

I’m not actually going to improve as one of these Boosted Reapers should I decide on that path to get back - even though it seems a very obvious thing to do. So what’s the point in that?

Again. Why the double standard for Reaper and Mercy?

Idea for low Elos against Reaper - play Torbjorn. The turret will immediately start harassing Reaper and he can’t do much about it if it’s not right by the tanks. Plus, Torbjorb can temporarily out-Reaper Reaper with Overload, so when he shows up go overload on him and shotgun him to bits. He can’t outheal that kind of damage.

You also have the left click for when Reaper isn’t around and for hitting him from a distance.

It is pretty much guaranteed to see him doing 4 kill potg even after so much time has passed since his buff.

Also he makes more space than tanks and d.va and hog are just ult batteries for him. You can’t even touch him if you play tank. I get that he is a tank buster but what other character hard counters entire class?

In higher ranks he can’t really make space because he has no damage mitigation and is headshot easily.

Either way it is poor balancing.