Aim based hero tips?

I’m trying to get better at aiming. Do you guys have any aim tips for heroes like widow mccree and tracer or aiming tips in general? Also I would appreciate if you guys linked some YouTube videos for aim training! While we are at it, do you guys have any just hero tips, tricks or animation cancels for heroes like widow, tracer, mccree, Genji, phara?
Thank you so much in advance! <3
P.s If anyone is wanting to play quick play together or something, add me (just tell me under my post that you sent a friend request)

Turn off aim recoil compensation for mccree, widow, ashe, and whoever else its applicable for.

That’s all i can think of rn, i might reply later when im not so tired. Got some decent tips for those heroes

Drop your mouse sensitivity to a very low level (lower than you would expect). Set game sensitivity to 2 or 3, then play hit-scan for a while. What you will notice is that you either shoot behind or in front of your target. Adjust that, then slowly increase sensitivity as needed - however - I would suspect you would end up keeping it much lower than you have it now.

go into training stage. go to the first bots on the left.
strafe from left to right while keeping your crosshair on the bots head. try and make the tracking perfect. no hickups. make it look like a aimbot. (this is how you will find the sens perfect for you.)

then u can go where the bots move and work on your tracking on the bots head while blinking around with tracer. like blink move a bit blink again move a bit (kind of how tracers do in games. blink empty a clip/half a clip blink again).

then practice on real players, and learn to kill zen. with tracer once you get good at it, killing zen will be easy since his hitbox is big and it’s like killing a bot in training stage.

2 Likes

I don’t have the link at hand but sourefour made a great video (tracer in thumpnail)
Loool. Should at least have gone through the full 6 posts xD good job patman.

Yes low sense will be your friend, i play hitscan / tracer like a LKW driving wheel. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I can’t, I really can’t stress this enough because literally nobody speaks about it but whenever you are starting to miss think about this.

What is better?
To miss 2 shots holding left-click?
To not miss but take a second more to aim?

Take your time while aiming and gradually reduce it and your muscle memory will improve much faster than just blindly trying to hit shots every 0.5s. This is my first FPS game and after only a little bit over 1000 hours my aim is better than some of my veteran CS:GO friends.

edit: Also see which suits you better. Tracking or flicking, And focus which is easier for you. You really need both but you will be better at one no matter what you do and focusing on one can give you results quicker which will increase your motivation. Also don’t be afraid to change your dpi from time to time if you feel like your movements can be faster. Also about mouses per se. A good mouse will get you EASILY a couple hundred SR higher because they are much more reliable. If you have small hands like me i recommend Modecom mc-gmx4. It’s pretty cheap for a good mouse and i’m using it for years now. Also big and TOTALLY BLACK mousepad is a must as well(if it’s in any kind of pattern it can F up with your pointer recognicion because light reflects differently on differently colored surfaces). Also back to aim. If you can’t do at least a 180 turn in 1 swipe it’s your sens is too low. If you can do a 360 it’s propably to high. One polish CS:GO pro told me in his video that it preferably should be a 230 degrees turn in max length of your swipe, although i tried that and it’s weird for me , maybe im too bad yet lul.

1 Like

I can agree with this. I spent many hours practicing my flicks on McCree (together with aim hero, custom game drills etc) only to still have the feeling that I was being was too inconsistent. I started doing a bit more tracking only to realize I was hitting way more shots than with flicking. What I think really happened though was that by tracking I made sure that I had acquired the target correctly and was following the movements before doing a small flick and shooting - that extra split second of focus made a massive difference.

So yeah - until you have surefore’s aiming skills take that extra time to really look at the target and focus on what you are about to shoot and then pull the trigger. For me it was also helpful to slow down my actual mouse movements - those long quick flicks might look really cool when they hit but slower more precise flicks will net better results for most people.

1 Like

Lower sens is better for OW, as mentioned, mainly due to no ADS.

Assuming your mouse DPI is 800 as a starting point, you want a sensitivity of between 4-6 and adjust based on how comfortable you feel.

Not mentioned, but obviously a good computer, where you can play on either a 140hz or 240hz monitor is going to help your aim in the game

Understand there are 2 categories of aiming. Tracking and Flicking.

The underlying fact, is don’t bother with “aim training” games, but simply play shooters. No aim training applications or programs replicate the way you need to improve your aim like you would on a shooter, which mostly consists of a motion of moving (constantly) re-adjusting your aim on your target, while trying to avoid getting shot at the same time.

Understand however, that there are 2 underlying factors into having good aim.

The first is reaction time, and this is most important on tracking. It’s your ability to send a message from your brain from what you see on the screen, to what tell your hand to move. The quicker you can do that, the more accurate you will be.

If you do want to take a break from shooters, consider looking for reaction based games, or games that require hand-eye co-ordination. I think a lot of my aim comes from playing a tonne of guitar hero back in the day.

2nd and this only really comes from practising a LOT, is muscle memory. This is most important for flick shots for heroes such as mccree and Widow. Every time you flick to a target successfully, your brain is setting up a subconscious checkpoint of the movement required in your hand to achieve a movement you see on screen. This is not an over night thing.

Well, first of all, you need good hardwere to help you improve, get a 144hz monitor if you can and make sure your PC is powerful enough to run ow above 144fps. Dont use vsync so you can have low input lag.

Send me a video and I’ll have a look at what your aim is like and see how I could help you. I’m bit of an aim fanatic so if you want aim coaching (sounds weird and some don’t believe it’s a thing) I’m here for you.

As for instant tips just play the game and avoid aim trainer games and aim drills. I’ve had a go at every way to improve my aim and just playing fps games is best for me, maybe not for other people though (play the game you want to improve at the most as aiming is always at least slightly different in every different game/franchise).

Second, as has been stated by many people you should make sure you have good enough equipment to improve. If you want to go crazy you have to try out tens of mice and pads to reach your peak level eventually.

I switched back to CSGO after GOATs became a thing, but I do play OW every now and than.

Thanks everyone for your tips
Basic do you have a discord? I wouldn’t mind some higher players then me looking at my games and helping me with my aim :slight_smile:. Also I play a lot of quick play just so you know, so my vids will probably be from qp

Sorry for the late reply (been busy).
If you’re still interested my discord: Mik#1995

Hey dude, sorry for MY late reply, I sent u a friend request

Git gut at POSITIONING and change your widow position constantly

most important: positioning -> play with tank on mccree etc, use of high grounds, stay mobile + aggressive on widow

• get a big mouse path and change sensitivity so you can make about 1 360 turn when you move from the left to the right on your mouse path
  • change scope sensitivity
  • get a pc/settings that gives you no graphic lag and a constant fps
  • get good muscle memory (like play +10 games of current mode arcade story mode with mccree in a row focussing on headshots. And you will notice you will hit a lot more after.(will loose it again if you stop for a while)
    And play a lot to learn the movement of real people (like hitting people who are jumping by waiting till they got to a certain point where they go down again, or how a tracer moves(blink through you, or where he will be when she recalls))

I’d say:

• I agree with getting a good and large pad, but you can play with any sens within a reasonable margin (86.6cm/360-14.6cm/360).
  • same with scope sens(30-50 for Widow/Ana, don’t know how Ashe scope sens works, though I’d guess 40-60 is a good range)
  • I do agree that a good pc, hardware and other peripherals are necessary to achieve peak aiming performance.
  • Shooting bots is meh. Just playing the game is the best way to get better aim and you also learn how to actually play OW.

This is a super ‘it depends’ thing, I think. For me, playing a bunch of storm rising as Ashe has been really helpful for aim. It’s disappearing soon though, and training grounds bots are… well… unsuitably shaped, sized, and behaved for any kind of useful practice.

Anyway, if you’re already confident in quickly hitting head-sized targets, Team Deathmatch I think is a much better way to practice aim than just about anything. Got that tip from some GM player’s video somewhere, and it seems to be pretty good. It’s a fun way to warm up before comp anyway.

Just playing tdm or ffa is a faster way of getting better at aiming, but it’s not as efficient overall towards becoming a good OW player. When you play ranked or scrim you’ll be aiming and gaming.

Uhm. I don’t know about ‘efficient overall’. I mean, I’m not a ‘good overwatch player’ (or FPS player in general) but in every other skillset I’ve practiced, it has been valuable to do specific drills for each skill in isolation – as long as it’s in addition to, not instead of, performing them as a set. Music, drawing, cooking, language learning, sports, board games, video games… whatever. Sometimes you practice one move over and over, sometimes you practice the whole thing together. Practicing the one thing over and over only gets you good at the one thing, of course, but it gets you good at it a lot faster than doing it while doing a dozen other things at the same time… so if the one thing is a serious weakness, it’s very efficient to practice it in isolation.

If you’re already an aimgod in other FPS games, then obviously you don’t need as much time practicing aim specifically. That said, pro players still do aim drills, pro musicians still do scales and arpeggios, pro artists still practice varying perspectives on a single model, pro bball players still practice half-court shots… etc, etc. The better they are the more it’s ‘warm up’ and the less it’s ‘learning’, but they still do it because it’s still useful.