Add Bastion already please

Bring him back old tank canon ult,and all be fine👽

3 Likes

How is making the magazine not infinity hard? It’s coded into basically every gun and charge based ability.

1 Like

The real question is why wasn’t this bug picked up with all the daily testing and the multiple alphas and betas prior to launch?

They had three years to prepare for the launch of Overwatch 2 and they still managed to completely bollocks it up.

2 Likes

I they want to add something i want them to make bastion meleee
Into a headbutt with 60 dmg.

Fixing bugs is like throwing a pebble into a pond. When the pebble lands, it sends ripples through the pond. Sometimes those ripples don’t do anything, but sometimes they disturb other things.

Sometimes you have to throw the pond at the pebble.

Sometimes you can’t even see the pond to aim the pebble.

Sometimes the pebble doesn’t cause ripples but flash boils the pond to steam.

Sometimes you find out you’ve been throwing the pebble into the wrong pond.

Sometimes the ripples make ANOTHER pond.

Coding is never as easy as If Ult && Bastion == No Infinite Ammo

Also: Delete Bastion and replace him with Ganymede.

2 Likes

Beta ow1,bastion have front shield in turret mode…

1 Like

I’m saying if they have any sort of modularity, which they seem to with the doomfist-like ult, it shouldn’t be that hard. Just have it switch to a 3/3 gun with reload disabled. lmb uses the doomfist ult thing and consumes 1 ammo. When the timer runs out or the gun reaches 0/3 the ult ends and then the ammo is reset to 3/3 for the next time his ult is used. Ammo with weapons is already clearly coded and is used on almost every hero and we know they can prevent reload like how Torb’s ult fires a number of projectiles but cannot reload. There cannot be an infinite ammo bug because it just has no ability to do so without intentionally setting it to infinity. If it could go infinity then every weapon would be able to do it. No existing code would be modified except for Bastion’s ult specifically. Everything else that uses ammo guns or doomfist ult would not change.

1 Like

See. That’s the thing. There’s clearly something that caused that happen. If it was as simple as “Oops, we forgot a toggle, teehee!” a hotfix would have been perfectly fine. I’m not a professional coder or anything, and I haven’t done it for… crap, probably over a decade now, but there were a very large numbers of bugs that turned out to be caused by something that shouldn’t have even interacted with that system in the first place that I ran into.

And from spending many hours speaking with close friends that do programming professionally… Code, especially game code, is a mess. Often times its filled with bandaids and slapped together crap because at the time it just needed to get working and you always meant to go back and clean it up and do it right but you got so busy you forgot. Other times, someone else worked on that portion of the code and they way they did it was definitely not the way you would have so you gotta figure out wtf they were thinking as they coded it. And you can’t always go and ask them, because sometimes they’re not even working there anymore.

Maybe they did try copy pasting the ult end reload portion from other instances and it didn’t do a bloody thing because the bug was caused by something overriding it.

Coding is a complicated mess. There’s a reason why I only ended up making a few little video games and then moved on to different things. The making was fun. The debugging was too frustrating for me.

2 Likes

Did you seriously just ask this?

Because code that you write doesn’t always do what you intend it to do. And if you’re dealing with hundreds, possibly thousands of lines of code, and something isn’t working right, it can be very difficult to pinpoint where the issue is happening.

If it wasn’t hard, there never would’ve been a bug to begin with. They can’t just decide to make the bug go away.

Are you a software engineer? It’s what I do for a living, and what you’re saying is ridiculous.

1 Like

There’s little reason he’s still out of the game for this long. His rework is pretty fun and surely it;s not hard to put the 3 shot cap back on his ult. Lets be honest though his new ult is pretty bad that even with the bug people struggled to get kills lighting up the map.

Between this, the Mei wall bug (reported in beta) and Sombra not being detected by Torb turret, all taking this long to fix. It’s clear the less favourable heroes get the least amount of development resources.

Hahahaha

Sorry, no offense intended.

What you should have said was, tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

<3

1 Like

You’re right. I was intentionally making an understatement.

Blizzard’s entire codebase is probably hundreds of thousands of lines of code (or even in the millions). But I imagine it’s quite modular, so they may have separate code files for each character. So Bastion might have a code file that mostly corresponds to him, which could be hundreds or thousands of lines long.

1 Like

Aight, yeah. That one I can see. But even modular, they could still be dealing with tens of thousands of lines.

I’ll never forget the time I managed to create a bug that caused a 16 gig RAM computer to run out of ram in 30 seconds while trying to save a file if the character took damage within 4 frames of the game trying to save.

Wasn’t even related to the health OR saving function. lol Somehow, damage was causing some weird interactions with the inventory system causing an infinitely duplicating blank entry

1 Like

But yeah, its actually quite possible the bug isn’t even inside Bastion’s more immediate code file. So you’re probably right in that the bug could be literally anywhere in the code base, which could be hundreds of thousands to millions of lines long. You mentioned inheritance which is a good counter point to what Terranguard was saying about “just give Bastion 3/3 ammo that runs out”.

It’s very possibly (rather, almost certain even) that Bastion’s ammo is derived from a parent ammo class that all characters inherit. I’d imagine this must be the case, because you have stuff like Kiriko’s ult affecting everyone’s ammo. The parent ammo class would have to be able to listen for this. There could be some conflict with Bastion’s ammo instance and the parent ammo class.

Or… it could be something else entirely. It could be the way the server listens for the player pushing a button. And the server code base is entirely different from the client code base (the game itself). It may even be written in a different language.

1 Like

I hate this take. Just put him back in, disable his ult and disable him for competitive play while you look in to how to fix him. There’s no reason he had to be completely taken out of the game.

2 Likes

Bastion would be helpful against Zarya.

From what Ive seen the greater majority approves of the rework lol

Stay mad though

3 Likes

Yikes this thread.

First of all, I’d rather they take their time to properly fix him, as opposed to throwing him back out immediately with a half-baked patch that will come undone in 3 seasons (looking at you, OW1 Rein).

Also Bastion was objectively better than his OW1 counterpart. Sure he was still one of the weaker DPS and his ult sucks when it’s not glitching, but he’s way more viable than he was in the first game.

Also stop the conspiracy theories. If Dragonblade had a glitch that allowed him to swing or dash 4x as often, you can bet they’d take their time making sure Genji was fixed before putting him back out. Blizzard would get more bad press for putting Bastion back out still potentially glitched than simply keeping him off the roster a little longer.

1 Like

Some of us in the lower ranks would really like Bastion back for some periodic emergency tank busting, kthnx.

Btw, I like Bastion’s rework. Fix his issues and I’ll be happy.

3 Likes

At least I don’t need a team comp built 100% around me to use the new Bastion. I’d rather that than the garbage kit he had in OW1.

3 Likes