Accessibility and Blizzards stance on disability related software

Appreciate the feedback, but the discussion of third party software is not appropriate for the forums.

If you would like to provide suggestions on how the game can be updated to be more accessible, please feel free to create a new thread in the General Discussion forums.

This was a discussion about Blizzard software, Blizzard company policy and practices, and accessibility. Saying it’s a discussion of third party software is akin to saying that discussion of mouse settings and their behavior in overwatch is discussion of ‘third party hardware’.

I understand things get forcibly quiet when harmful practices are brought to light… but I think this will be my leave of the forum. I found the post when considering trying to create a script to input workshop scripts. (For generating/processing/building/sharing scripts offline)

Anyway, this policy is garbage. It hurts alot more than it helps. I guess if you aren’t disabled, you don’t give a crap.

EDIT: Had this in the last post, but accidentally hit the delete button when trying to edit, and now can’t undo that or post another… so:

Meh, none of it really matters to me. In the end, I think this sort of policy is inadequate, naive, harmful, ineffective, lazy, and quite frankly discriminatory. Doesn’t feel right to me, but whatever. I guess we’re willing to trade a false sense of accomplishment/security for accessibility.

They took a stance on third party programs years ago, way before Overwatch, back in WoW days. People were asking and flooding the mail box and forums asking if a 3rd party program was considered OK by the developers or not. Eventually Blizzard took the stance that all 3rd party programs could run you the risk of getting banned, so you used them at your own risk.

I honestly understand their stance in this matter, it’s a lot better to just say that everything is illegal, rather than making exceptions and then have to monitor that program for every update it has, to make sure they’re not sneaking any illegal code in. So having a zero acceptance policy on 3rd party programs is understandable.

What does that cover? AHK? A KVM software? My mouse software? Steamlink? Windows?

As someone who has a paraplegic step-dad I actually “take offense” by this.

In reality you’re just wrong and you shouldn’t say things like this

3rd party programs that interact directly with OW would be my guess

They made their stance on how they feel about players with disability clear when they deleted Sym 2.0

Mercy, Winston, Reinhardt, Moira, Brigitte

These characters don’t require any more mechanical skill than Symmetra 2.0 did, so there are still heroes for people who need easier mechanics

Implying the game doesn’t have heroes that are accessible is pretty dishonest or just flat-out wrong.

1 Like

stop trying to speak for disabled players like me
you don’t know what i can and can’t play

1 Like

Every company has the same policy against third party software and all of it is necessary to prevent people from hacking and using macros that can gives them game advantage. There is really no way to prove if the program is used for disability or not.

Any 3rd party programs that interact in some way or form with the memory address on Blizzard’s games. in other words, any programs made to co-run along with Blizzard games and interacts with the game in some way or form.