Ability Idea: Antishields

Hey hey everyone! PyroPanda here.

Before we get started, I’m posting this because:

  • I’d like to get the community’s opinion on this idea,
  • It might inspire some other Hero Crafters (like yours truly),
  • And because hopefully the developers can implement it for a future Hero.

Ok, so since November 2017 or so, I’ve had a Hero Concept (a Talon Tank, who I’m tempted to show off sometime this week or so ) who has the Ability to generate Antishields.

In my definition, Antishields are temporary shields that:

  • are applied to enemies, not allies,
  • decay like normal temporary shields (like Lúcio’s Sound Barrier),
  • do NOT act like temporary shields (temporary HP), but rather DAMAGE enemies based on their amount.

Here’s a scenario:

  • My Talon Tank HC has an Ability that can generate a minimum of 100 Antishields to enemies within a 5 meter radius. (It’s much more complicated than this.)
  • An afflicted enemy now has 100 Antishields stacked on them, which decay at a rate of -20 per second.
  • If they are then damaged for less than 100 after, they are dealt 100 damage (can be reduced by Armor, but cannot go through Zarya’s barriers).
  • However, if they are damaged OVER 100 after, 120 for example, they take the 120 damage plus the 100 Antishield damage.

Simply put:

  • Damage < Antishields = Antishield
  • Damage > Antishields = Damage + Antishield

This Ability was first conceived to counter the then-popular dive meta that circulated back at 2017 or so. I figured that the answer was to make enemies more vulnerable, denying their chance to heal and tearing apart an otherwise formidable composition. Over time, thanks to the supposedly-dying GOATS meta, I decided to rework my HC’s Abilities (involving temporary shields and antishields) for more efficient and approachable gameplay.

If you guys want to hear more about my HC (his name is Amadeus, btw), or provide feedback on my antishields idea, pls comment.

Have a good day, everyone.

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

4 Likes

Sounds a bit too strong when stacked with discords/boosts.

12 Likes

This sounds really good.

1 Like

Yeah, which is what also what can make Antishields a tinge OP. Maybe if I adjust the:

Damage > Antishields = Damage + Antishields

To just:

Damage > Antishields = Damage

I suppose that would be fair.

Thanks for noting about the debuffs!

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

3 Likes

It would be cool to see Supercharger get turned into this concept. It would give her so much more use.

Imagine Supercharger giving all enemies something like 30 antishields for a duration of time. Crazy good value.

It’s hard to evaluate just how strong something like this, but it sure sounds interesting.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s my proudest idea yet.

That would be cool. Orisa’s damage output is pretty impressive too, but she’s more of a pusher-Tank. Someone who advances the frontline. Ama, on the other hand, pretty much carves a path through an enemy frontline or break apart a push/fortified defense. And thank you!

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

1 Like

This is Amadeus I assume? I think it would be great but a smidge overpowered how you described it

1 Like

Interesting idea. I’d love to see this in play.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s for good ol’ Ama. Yeah, I know. Could use some adjusting, like I mentioned earlier.

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

1 Like

Alright. I would love to see something like this in play

2 Likes

It’s definitely unique. When reading the beginning of the description, namely “antishield”, I pictured a reverse Zarya bubble, which could be an alternative solution; rather than doing damage, it could prevent them outputting damage by keeping them trapped in a barrier (visually; movement and abilities are unimpeded) for a maximum of say, two seconds. Long cooldown, of course, as it would be a huge (perhaps OP) mitigation of instant-damage ults like Deadeye (although Ana’s sleep dart accomplishes the same thing, so…).

I might be struggling to understand the core of the idea, but it sounds like it operates similarly to Ana’s nade? Temporary heal denial while using initial damage to lock the enemy into a lower “maximum” health throughout duration, which only decreases with additional damage. I’d love to see something similar on a tank given its potential to open up space, for sure.

EDIT: Nevermind, it just clicked. So your teammates need to shoot the target before Antishield fully decays in order to make use of it, and the sooner they shoot, the more damage is done. Damn that’s cool, and certainly a tank-feeling ability.

2 Likes

That’s actually a great suggestion too! I’ll keep that in mind!

That’s also a good suggestion. Jots it in down.

Bingo, mate. He’s meant for clearing a path down the frontline, so his playstyle is basically erosion/protection, I call it.

Thanks, Silence.

Cheers
~ PyroPanda

I’ve read and read read the concept but try as I might

I seriously don’t fully understand what you’re describing here in regards to how it’d actually work.

3 Likes

This sounds like we’re now using Counterspell to counter another Counterspell. I’ll allow it.

2 Likes

Think about it this way:

  • A grouped-up enemy is strong in terms of sustainability, damage output, and they stack up Ults much easier.
  • Antishields wear them down by making them easier to kill, especially with an AoE.
  • They also mitigate or deny any chance of an enemy getting healed, and punishes enemy healers too slow to catch up to them.

That’s what I can think of, so far.

I’m afraid I’m unfamilar with Counterspell. Care to explain, please? Also, thanks!

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

Possibly the new strongest utility, would need lots of restrictions.

We have rez, so i don’t see how this could be unbalanced.

1 Like

Mhm, some tuning is requiring for this to fully work and be balanced. But it’s hard to tell its full potential when there isn’t something else I could compare it with.

It’s still a bit unbalanced, even for me. One step at a time, though.

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

2 Likes

I get get the goal.

I didn’t understand “how” it was supposed to work however.

2 Likes

Oh. So something like the Virus proc in Warframe? I know other games have done it, but basically it lowers your max health temporarily.

Or wait? Did you mean bleed damage? I’m confused by what this ability is suppose to do.

1 Like

Sounds like an insta kill on a boosted/discorded widow

1 Like