A valid reason why Mass Rez isn’t liked or returning

Nobody liked winning and then immediately losing.

35 Likes

For me its mostly the fact that Mass Res is used AFTER the fact.
All other support ultimate’s are used to PREVENT it happening in the first place.

It doesn’t fit with any other ultimate as its the only one that isn’t used to prevent death, it completely reverses it.
It “feels” very cheap to play against turning the game into “kill the Mercy before we can push”

20 Likes

That’s what I’m saying.

~Truely Yours xoxo,
A Defender, And Backbone Of The Team.
Tank Mains Unite! :shield:

It’s an ability that should have never been in the game.

19 Likes

And this is the reason combined with OWL and it’s mass perception why I think it should not (and will likely not ever) return - its, not a “clutch play”, it’s not a sign of an incredible skill turn around, it’s just a cheesy flip of the game. Investors don’t like pouring millions of dollars into a franchise and then having some blonde cheerleader come swooping in to utterly undo all the effort of the game to that point. Some, not all Mercy mains, love this star focus as head cheerleader and refuse to let it go, becoming one among equals which is why this forum is spammed with threads still. I will support tweaks to make her “more fun” as long as its not mass rez.

13 Likes

I made a very similar post the other day so I’ll just link here (it got sent to megathread so it’s locked - not about to write whole thing again ;p)

A fake out mechanic like mass Rez will probably never return. It was the only one of its kind but it was also on the most popular hero in the game. I can’t see Blizzard actually looking at it and saying “yeah let’s bring it back.” It was anti player.

~Truely Yours xoxo,

4 Likes

The ult probably should have fallen in line with the others from the start.

1 Like

Yeah i guess Resurrection just cant be in any game i guess, to many tank/dps whiners

12 Likes

It’s not really a thing you can trivialize to “DPS/tank whiners” and to say that makes it sound like there were no supports that think it was bad. It was a badly designed ability.

~Truely Yours xoxo,

10 Likes

I never gave it much thought at the time, but looking back and watching some old vods opened my eyes on the subject. An awful lot of games were just 10 or 15 minutes of window dressing, and then at the end the game was decided by whether or not you could kill Mercy first.

If you couldn’t get to the Mercy, you lost. Didn’t matter if you outplayed the other five people, if you didn’t get Mercy it was over.

7 Likes

Also, with most supports you can still burst their allies, while with mass rez you had to kill Mercy first and then quickly kill the rest, or be able to prevent her for using her ult when she came back to the battlefield

1 Like

So would you guys have theoretically been fine with the same ability if it was pressed before your team died and activated afterwards, rather than after?

It woulda been a neat counter to zarya combos anyway.

Ya I think you’re right. And in that vein, the wibdows of opportunity is WAY different. Lucio and Zen had to use their ults at make-or-break moments to save their team mates. Mercy had a 6-7 second window to just erase an epic play. Lucio and Zen ults to save their team have always been “Dude what a sick ult” kind of moment. Hide n Rez never had that feeling for anyone except Mercy players.

Good riddance to Mass Rez. Glad it’s gone.

3 Likes

Actually yes. If Mass Rez worked as a Zilean sort of got, that would have a lot more counter play to it and would force game time decisions instead of just yelling “die on point” into your microphone.

1 Like

An interesting thought but it still has issues.
Instead of being an ult that activity saves people, it becomes an ult of the enemy yelling “ stop shooting! Stop playing the game!”
The only counter play is to stop playing.
That and it still has mass Rez problems.

~Truely Yours xoxo,

6 Likes

What if mass rez just came back in the form of dmg reduction or a short invulnerability frame like the current invuln on rezzed targets so that way mercies would have to use it in response to combos rather than after the team is dead and if the invuln is only like 2s ish she would still need to time it well

If going the dmg reduction route could do like 50 or 60%

And the animation and stuff could still use the old mass rez animation tbh and alot of mercy mains could still get that same satisfaction albeit not being a mass rez

I feel like atleast this way it could be tweaked if its too powerful or too underpowered

Just throwing it out there, just because the rest of the cast has nothing like that doesn’t mean it can’t be in the game.

Tracer’s pace can’t even be matched by Lucio, Genji or Doomfist yet people jump to her defense if you even suggest that her kit is a little too powerful.

7 Likes

It felt like playing someone in chess, games almost over, a few moves until checkmate, and the opponent gets to turn the board around 180 degrees.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, and I still think it’s true:

Mass Rez was a horrible ult on Mercy. When she was originally envisioned, nobody knew how powerful mobility would be which is the primary problem.

If Mercy is stuck in the middle of her team during the teamfight, they have the option to focus her down before Mass Rez can be used for a big rez. There is a give and take in this situation where you can either force out a much smaller rez that is easily countered by an ultimate of your own, or you can kill her before rez is used and win the point altogether.

Mercy’s mobility negated that give and take by allowing her to “hide” out of danger and then GA into her dead team for an instant rez that negated all enemy resources used to kill them.

As long as the give and take of “Will I be alive long enough to get one more person back up if I wait or should I rez right now?” exists, mass rez is balancable.

I think Mass Rez would work on a non-shield disruption/survival tank. Someone who has a lot of health and is a huge target, but can make him/herself very hard to kill without feeding a disadvantageous amount of ult charge.

This core design feeds into the natural give-and-take of a mass rez ability by anchoring a line, but not having the ability to either hide & seek, or provide safety to allies with a safe health buffer like Rein’s or Orisa’s shield.

This would be a pure “value tank” where you target them over other squishier targets due to the inherent value of mass rez, and they would bring value to their team outside of the rez ultimate through low steady damage combined with disruptive abilities (because high damage + damage reduction + high health would just be a nightmare. Damage, health, utility: pick two)

2 Likes