A thought on LW's grippies:

Theorycraft with me for a second. Pretty much the only pain point I have with getting gripped is the way it cancels movements but doesn’t refund them. How bad would it be balanceways if the gripee’s movement cooldowns were reset upon being gripped?

1 Like

I thought this post was gonna be about feet.

13 Likes

You wish. :wink:

2 Likes

That…

Does not seem like a bad idea. Although I wonder how it’d work with favor the shooter and all.

2 Likes

Seems easy to coordinate and massively OP

2 Likes

Sounds potentially broken tbh

1 Like

Had to do a quick fact check because I don’t play him much myself, but the pull cooldown is 20 seconds long. Aren’t most movement abilities on much shorter cooldowns than that?

1 Like

Honestly would like that or at least give them like a speed boost for 3 seconds after or something

3 Likes

They’re just so energized by LW’s caring embrace. :heart:

4 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Grip needs an alternate fire where it lasts between 2-2.5 seconds and can let the teammate choose when to take it.

1 Like

I think we need reverse Grip where LW travels to the target.
I guess that’s just GA with immunity, though…

1 Like

So you mean I wouldn’t be wasting a movement ability to cancel grip?

At that point just… Let me cancel it prematurely.

I think they’re more eager to break out of it and run away from that creepy man.

Yes.

Just get rid of grip and turn it into a lesser zarya bubble that lets teammates teleport to Weaver by pressing Interact.

2 Likes

That sounds overpowered though,imagine Winston dives your backline and he just recalls back to his team.

Can you expand a little?

There isn’t much friendly fire CC in the game. It would be really strange to be able to cancel a Mei wall that’s going to kill you if you aren’t Mei, for example. There’s Sym TP, which has a load of issues regarding team usage and she is gutter trash, so… I don’t see the devs making it cancelable anytime soon. I was trying to think of a middle ground compromise for an issue that I personally experience when I get gripped without ruining the flow and functional utility of it.

I mean that’s essentially what happens when Lifegrip is properly coordinated. Someone goes in to make a play and if the dive is properly coordinated, Lifeweaver will just pull someone to safety. And even when Lifegrip is used this way, its still niche and underpowered.

A rework like this makes the ability much more solo-queue friendly because even if no one uses the pull, LW can still use it reactively as a bubble to peel for teammates and proactively to help divers secure kills. And even if you’re lucky enough to get some coordination in your games, you can only use this on one person at a time anyway. So I don’t really think it would be so OP.

3 Likes

I can hear the arguments over who “stole” Lifeweaver’s grip from who already, lol.

I prefer those arguments to “OMG LW Y U GRIP ME, I’M REPORT U FOR GRIEFING!!!” any day :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I cancelled grip using say Winston Leap, would it refund my leap upon cancellation?

Difference is Mei wall controls map geometry. Life Grip controls you.

And Sym tp is optional. It used to teleport on contact. It used to frustrate people with trolls. It got reworked.

No. The point is that after being gripped, I’m unable to relocate to safer positioning if I already used my movement cooldown to do that seconds earlier. If you were never gripped, why should you get a refund?

Mei wall can also control your character physically, trap you in a room or against the wall unable to move, put you in the air, etc.

My memory is a little fuzzy as it’s been six years since the rework from her original 2 tone ultimate(s) but I think you’re referring to the teleport from spawn that sat conveniently next to but very much out of the way of the spawn exit. People weren’t forced through it. Hell, some would manage to not even see it while walking out.

Yes, it has always been optional. And in this current confused form, very underutilized by teammates. It would be even worse for a not-Sym to be able to “cancel” a TP and destroy it, wasting a cooldown.

ETA Thought a bit more on this and I’m not really interested in debating the merits of a cancel button, so if that encapsulates all your thoughts on grip then thanks for sharing and I’ll be moving on now.