A strong TP would fix many of Sym's shortcomings

I don’t think she can really have a faster deployment.

The average movmement speed is 5.5m/s, meaning that if Sym casts a TP directly on top of someone, they have 2 seconds to get exactly 11m away. Considering the sheer amount of things that can come out of the TP, the most common being 1-3 turrets with a 10m range, I think 2s is the balance sweetspot.

Interact radius would also be tricky because it could easily become an issue with accidentally TP’ing turrets you didn’t mean to TP, or other things like Dvas ult. And programming the turrets to interact differently with the interact radius than everything else sounds like opening the door for a host of new bugs.

I disagree with this, because shield tanks, defensive abilities, and the ability to destroy the TP exists. It is a stationary construct with 300 HP which is quite easy to take down. Therefore running away isn’t the only option, especially if you try to drop it on more than one person. Also turret bombs, if that’s the goal, are destroyed with one melee attack, so a smart enemy can run toward and not away from the TP if that’s the anticipation.

Hm. Maybe. Or maybe it wouldn’t be that difficult at all.

Both these changes would make is significantly easier to escape a graviton surge. We were “sold” this as a significant use of the TP. Also, with the incoming balance changes, Zarya is going to find herself in an even stronger position.

(One of the few tanks without armor, less easy for D.Va to eat grav, and more effective beam DPS against armor if I’m not mistaken.)

The worst feelings when playing sym involve her TP. Either my turrets don’t teleport with it, or it gets misplaced because of how janky it is.

Pls blezz let us f3ast!

2 Likes

The only change I’d like is to have her tp last until it’s either destroyed or she places a new one. And maybe give her 50 additional shields when her primary is fully charged. To counter this it would be nice if she had some audio or visual queue so the enemy can clearly see she’s fully charged. I know you can see her beam is bigger but when a lot of stuff is going on you don’t really pay attention to that.

Yes and some heroes simply cannot do that in the 2s it takes for TP to deploy, but as soon as it’s up, 6 players can instantly be transported and it serves its purpose. Those same shield tanks and defensive abilities can be used to defend the TP so that everyone gets through, which can happen very quickly.

Except many people simply don’t know that, or forget, or don’t react in time, or are too preoccupied to properly react. I could count on maybe two hands the amount of times someone has actually been smart enough to do that, and it’s almost exclusively Roadhog players.

Why should a single basic ability that is already capable of facilitating so much also serve as a reliable counter to one of the most powerful ults in the game? If people aren’t dumb and actually know how to use TP and react to grav properly (Support ults, Shield tank shielding, etc) then TP can likely whisk you away. Part of this failing is indeed the interact radius, but it’s also your teammates sometimes. Once you TP out of grav, someone in the grav slides into your place. If that person does not press their interact key or doesn’t have it bound (there are fair arguments for this), they kill everyone else in the grav because they block the TP.

But all in all, I don’t think it should reliably counter grav. It’s something it can do, but shouldn’t always do. Not saying it’s easy, but you can catch grav on Photon Barrier and nullify it, so Sym already has two soft counters to grav as opposed to a hard one.

I think it should. What was arguably the most reliable counter to grav (DM) has been nerfed in its capacity to do so. Many ults are easily countered by a regular ability, so why not Grav? Zarya gets it faster too with the energy changes from a few months ago. Grav combos make it required to have a Zen or Lucio for a defensive ult. TP being a reliable counter would just open up more flexiblity.

Besides, the Zarya can always wait for TP to go on cooldown too.

I don’t think that’s a valid excuse for a balance decision. People will learn. learning what the enemy does is a skill that improves your overall skill in the game. It’s the same as not peeking widow, not shooting deflect, etc.

Actually, I noticed the other day vs another Sym that her charge level audio cue is very loud to enemies. Her beam is also very noticeable tbh.

Regarding this… it turns out that the TP placement in these cases is (at least almost) exactly the same as Reaper’s Shadowstep. There is a simple reason that I played Reaper for years without ever being bothered by it while often getting driven insane with the TP. It’s something so simple that someone had to point it out to me which is that Reaper stays in casting animation when he miscasts and Symmetra does not.

There are some high grounds which can be annoying to tp up to even if there is no railing. On Anubis attack when you go left, you can tp behind that little gap that genji’s and pharahs sometimes flank around. But the tp is so random that I don’t even go for it most of the time. If it was more consistent that would be an amazing tp to use.

A lot of things call for the need of those two defensive ults in particular though, not just Grav combos. Even so, considering everything TP is already capable of (along with already soft countering grav), you’re asking to buff it to DM levels of strong which just seems like a bad idea. There should be less basic abilities that just say nope to an ult. Insert the tears of Lucio and Rein mains. Us Sym players have been one of the only groups of players to have deployable ults that can’t be shut down or lost through death or stun, and I feel many take that for granted, cause it feels bad.

And you can sit there and stalemate and wait for the other to make a move. You as Sym should be tracking the Zaryas ult and trying not to feed her charge anyway. It’s not like it is impossible to cast your TP from outside of a grav. You don’t have to wait to be caught in it.

No, they’re having to relearn apparently because nothing about how to deal with Sym has changed. It’s literally to pay attention to her and stay at a distance from her and her constructs. People get so cocky now that she is reworked and have a tendency to just run up to you as if that isn’t where Sym has always been the most dangerous.

However, the reason she’s already drastically better is because she has always been a hero that benefits from the enemy ignoring her, but now has a kit that gives the enemy bright shiny/painful things to look at so that she can briefly be ignored herself. If someone chooses to not ignore Sym, they will probably die to the turrets, or she simply TPs away. Or doesn’t even TP in to begin with.

People still shoot deflect btw.

1 Like

I will sometimes hide behind my team anticipating a grav or pharah ult to pop my ult and It has saved my team many times. Photon barrier is very underrated.

I would say the same, but honestly, I just rarely use the TP because there’s no proper use for it. It’s like Shadowstep.

The worst feeling for me is holding the beam on a target and telling my teammates “Gimme a couple of seconds guys, I’ll do meaningful damage in a bit!”.

1 Like

I mean, it’s got its uses. It just needs some help and bugfixes to see its true potential. I want the TP to have meaning besides being a bastion taxi. I want Sym to be a pick that enables different team comps and alternative strats

The problem is that everyone that benefits from high ground positions has the tools to get there, and those who don’t, don’t. This makes teleporter largely superfluous to most characters. Bastion benefits because the externally applied mobility mitigates his one weakness, but other than that… I suppose Brigitte could be argued, but it’s likely that you’ll need full team coordination to have a shot at getting value out of it.

Overall, I loathe new teleporter, as it’s just going to hinder her design far more than the lock on beam ever did.

Here comes ferret to suck the fun out of everything :wink: as usual with his anti Symmetra rhetoric.

Faster tp!
Longer duration/range!
Bigger interaction radius!

Yes yes yes!

1 Like

TP isn’t only about high ground though. It’s good for bypassing chokes and should be good for escapes. It’s also just good for Sym too!

I think this is what bugs me the most. It’s hard for us not to cry that some heroes are cared about less than others when stuff like this exists. If these TP bugs plagued a “popular” character, it’d be setting off fire alarms.

1 Like

TP isn’t that good for bypassing difficult chokes though, because if you want to put the exit down behind the enemy’s chokehold, you have to put it in a contested zone. The only instance where this isn’t the case, AFAIK, is Volskaya’s first point.

As for being good for Symm, I disagree there, again. Her M1 is thoroughly unusable, so she’s better off sticking back and using her M2 exclusively, with her teleporter only helping her turrets. (Which it shouldn’t because that is just a worse version of her old M1, gameplay wise.)

She needs an ACTUAL mobility ability 2sec cast time is not mobility. Let HER teleport instantly and then the generator spawns under it for others to use it. Let symmetra herself create the portal to use and then her team can use it once the lotus spawns under it.

1 Like

How do you know that isn’t what they did?

I agree with OP’s suggestions, although one slight worry I have, is that the defender stallfest on 2cp could become worse with infinite tp duration. In fact the optimal choice might often turn out to be just leaving it at spawn, which is a bit boring.