A More Nuanced Take on MMR Bashing

Why can I only give this post one like?

Well said.

2 Likes

Hmmm this is a very common rebuttal to the whole MMR debate. I know what the dev says…They can design something and have a certain intention for how they want it to work, but the end result is something completely different.

It’s tough to truly criticize since they keep their methodology a secret. But what’s most likely happening is their methodology is flawed. Whatever parameters they try to use to match people constantly gives games that is nowhere near a 50% win rate (both wins and losses).

4 Likes

A lot to unpack here. A few things I’d like the devs to explain:

1. Are they admitting to handicapping games in order to give both sides 50/50 chances?

2. How can they say a vast majority of games are 50/50 when there are so many team diffs? Not just stomps which can still happen if teams are fair but games that you could replay 10 times and the same team would probably win at least 9 of them.

3. Are they saying that unranked to GM players get 50/50 games all the way until they hit GM? Then why do they win 96% of their games? Do they need to fire the bookies?

4. Why are they admitting to knowingly making some matches that are not close to 50/50 and shipping them anyway? Dead game?

3 Likes

Bc the games aren’t really forced 50/50 I don’t think. I used to think the matchmaker was against me until I hired a former OWL player to coach me and realized I was indeed a huge part of the problem. Went from bronze to plat season 31 and was climbing in plat before the season ended, my win rate well above 50%

6 Likes

the matchmaker can‘t handle the biased data that is fed to him by smurfs and alt accounts. so the matchmaker THINKS the match is balanced, but most alt accounts have totally inconsistent data (on purpose), which more or less „hides“ the actual skill level.

it‘s a problem of multiple levels.

2 Likes

Well… I’d say you’re thinking correctly.

Some light reading.

2 Likes

I think it tries to make a 50:50 game but with the insane amount of Smurfs soft throwing combined with people who literally get triggered and throw after the first fight it definitely does not feel like it

4 Likes

how much did you pay him?

2 Likes

Apparently Muma does 30 mins for $15?

But interested to know as well.

Goes through a secondary website that has some discount codes therefore it varies. He’s unreal good though at coaching and obviously at the game

5 Likes

Which site? Which coach?

I am coached by Muma. Website is metafy

4 Likes

I have Muma on discord. He’s pretty cool. He gave me the replay codes for the tournament final

:smirk_cat:

2 Likes

Great guy! Incredible player and coach too.

5 Likes

The goal is to get 12 people into a match who are as close in MMR to each other as possible.
The “alternatives” would be to intentionally create uneven matches with an advantage for one of the sides, or to have no matchmaking whatsoever and simply throw 12 random people into a match.

The way ultimates work in Overwatch heavily increases the chance of a steamroll for one of the sides even if the teams are very close in skill to each other.
The ult advantage carries over to the next fight and often this is enough to stop the other team from ever gaining ground again.

On top of that there are many factors that the matchmaker doesn’t, can’t (and maybe shouldn’t) take into consideration.
Have a Ball one-trick on one team and a good Sombra on the other?
Pharmercy on one team and no good hitscan player on the other?
One team with players whose hero pools don’t synergize well with each other?
One team with two one-tricks for the same hero?

Tough luck, but I don’t see a viable approach to fix this through matchmaking without causing a whole lot of other issues that might be even worse.

The system obviously has issues to deal with people who are manipulating their Rank and MMR through different means.
They already confirmed that they have plans to better deal with in in OW2, though they haven’t said anything about how they are going to approach this issue.
I guess we can just wait and see :woman_shrugging:

It’s basically in the quote.
Not enough players in the lowest and highest skill brackets and issues with matchmaking when it comes to groups (probably especially larger ones with a high SR range).
The first one isn’t that much of an issue since the amount of affected players is extremely small, but they definitely have to improve the matchmaking for groups.

I hope that they finally offer a way to create/join clans in OW2 to make it easier to find people to play with.
That way more people would play in groups and they could probably also reduce the SR range. Both would increase the matchmaking quality quite a lot.

4 Likes

There have been probably over 10,000 people (really) who have reported this same thing happening to them. The matchmaker is completely broken and the people coding it have no idea how to fix it. Because they don’t know how to create a fair matchmaker, instead they just threw in some code that says “when they’re below a 50/50 win ratio then put em on a win streak, when above, then put em on a lose streak.” That way, they can take a report to their boss and say “see, most people have a 50/50 win ratio so I’m doing a good job” and apparently the management eats it up.

Stop playing, it’s broken and will never be fixed until blizzard cleans house of their current programmers and managers.

3 Likes

Simple solution, if you don’t enjoy the game and want to blame everything for your own skill then just stop playing TeamBased games!
Maybe you should take your own advice to heart?

1 Like

I stopped playing this awful game over a year ago. Also, it’s not team based games, it’s games with blizzard matchmaking specifically ones programmed by the same person. Easy.

1 Like

Maybe you should stop making assumptions about people? Maybe he’s already stopped playing? (He has)

:smirk_cat:

That’s your opinion, I am glad you did it =]

Mind naming those other games?

1 Like