A long response to Jeff Kaplan's popular post

I thought I wouldn’t do this, but since several people thought the post was valuable, I will paste it as a thread starter. I don’t expect much feedback or agreement, that boat sailed two years ago, but - who knows. If someone finds this reading interesting, let’s just say I’m glad if that happens to be the case.

I was mainly prompted to write such a long response and recap because I, regardless of how much leeway or faith I give, this comment in particular seemed impossible to me and I elaborated as to why:

I am sorry if I come off as aggressive, but… how so?

Somewhere around november 2015, with the massive influx of broader audience through large number of invites, this problem became very apparent and the concern was raised among testers who understood that the game structured in such way has to have either limitations regarding player choice or less reliance on team composition, rock/paper/scissors and similar philosophies. Many threads were made and, while you were active on the forum back then, you ignored pretty much all of them, while replying to banal threads about symmetra’s teleport gui qol.

Your team, as well as the testers, approached the game as intended before that large influx. That was clearly evident from how the game was designed (heroes as tools, more similar to personified Quake weapons than anything else, with the complete liberty of switching, combined with overbearing notion of holy trinity and rock/paper/scissors being present). As people started pouring in, many of them abused the fact you can simply ignore all tacit agreements and simply pick a hero/role you like the most constantly, regardless of anything else.
At that point, that is exactly how that behavior was seen - as an abuse of the system. It was so clear what was going on than I don’t know how to approach to this post you have written now. For two and a half years this issue persisted in the same amount and vigor.

Your team then decided to defend this behavior vehemently, refusing to correct it through rigid systems. Your reasoning was mostly referring to the spirit of the game. But, if something objectively doesn’t work as it’s contradictory by design, then shouldn’t priorities change? One of staples of your spirit of the game was hero stacking, for example, which you removed because it was impossible to balance properly. Why was this an exception?

And, if you already decided to be so adamant about it, why didn’t you at least softly directed the atmosphere towards the intended play? Instead, every little piece of marketing, mechanics and score evaluation encouraged antisocial behavior. I am not saying all of this was planned, but the game had a major problem and it would have been logical to try to tame it, at least through suggestion. But, you decided to muse with memes of choosing hanzo on Hanamura defense due to roleplay and such. An epic animated duel between Tracer and Widowmaker and even more epic duel between the Shimada bros were released at the peak of the game’s hype. Four of the most overbearingly popular heroes. Should we wonder why no one picked Zarya, then?

You released character popularity in the beta. Mercy was the most popular healer (and maybe even the most popular character even, I don’t remember). You took that for granted, instead realizing that what remained of your testers who played the game as intended and a fairly small percentage of newcomers who desperately wanted to “team build” simply were cornered into picking her.
I think I played something like, 34 minutes on Tracer, my favorite hero and something like 300 hours on Lucio back then, Lucio being the only character in the game I disliked. And I am not a people pleaser.

How was all that not indicative?

You had a concept that even on paper seemed iffy. The game has contradicting elements in its design.
-absolute liberty in hero picking
-lack of draft/order of picking
-no role slots
-rock/paper/scissors
-team-dependence
-rpg-like system of many abilities, limiting player input in certain situations (so, no 1v6 quake style carries)
-zero responsibility when it comes to hero picks
-heroes are tools, not avatars
-one queues as a player, not as a preselected character
-composition-dependent
-specialized characters

And some other things as well.

Wasn’t it evident that these can work, but not all at the same time? You have WoW as an example. team-dependency, composition-dependency, rock/paper/scissors etc. But, that is offset by role slots and by the fact that you queue as a character, not as a player. So, even if rogues are ten times as numerous as tanks, there’s no overabundance of rogues in dungeons (if we take dungeons as a core element of mechanics), because a rogue will simply queue for 30 minutes. Not ideal, but that’s a necessary trade off.

Some other MMORPGs don’t need this rigidity, because they don’t tick these specific boxes. Many eastern MMO games don’t have role slots. So, three rogues and two archers can end up in a random dungeon. But, in that case, roles aren’t that much specialized and those rogues are able to heal themselves to an extent or something like that.

Some other games, MOBA games for example, have you queue as a player and not as a character, like in OW. But, there’s no switching. So, there’s less of a “not my job, someone will switch eventually” philosophy. There’s also a draft system. There’s a clear order of selection. And although this is only a soft measure, as players can go into a match as five dps’s, it’s a good example how even a soft indication works. Because, what is the percentage of matches with awful team compositions in MOBA games in general, compared to Overwatch? Yes, exactly. Even though a draft doesn’t literally force players into picking that support if they are the last pick, they do it because they understand this system will put them as the first pick in some of the following games, so they could go for a high priority pick, or simply for something they want and then let others compromise.

Overwatch ticks all of these boxes. How is that not at least appearing suspicious, even on paper? If there’s a complete liberty with hero selection, compositions shouldn’t be so important. If compositions being important is the core aspect, then put some rigidity into hero selection process. If both are core aspects, don’t make extreme hero archetypes (a melee hero with low mobility and a flying hero), so that people can overcome having teams consisting of most popular heroes. If all this is “the spirit of the game”, you still can do soft steering.

Now, some of you who are reading might say “they did soft steering, they repeatedly said that it’s not an ideal way of playing etc”. That’s not what I meant, that doesn’t qualify as anything. I mean something like rewards system or scoreboard or medals or cards or whatever, which would steer the approach of players. But the big thing here is that your team, Jeff, decided on a system that basically encourages antisocial and egotistic approach even more. Should I even remind people of “I have gold damage” phrase that appears in the chat box every single game? Or personalized medal system? Or the lack of scoreboard? Anything would have been better.

You even encouraged this approach through esports. You marketed the notion of pro players “maining” and “onetricking”, without doing any effort towards inherently differentiating it through the fact that pro players play in what are basically constant premades with predetermined roles, as opposed to most of the player base, which is in solo or duo queue. “xyz is my idol, I’ll be the best tracer!” exclaims the kid while proceeding to instalock Tracer in every match.

Do you remember early cbt, when people played every hero? Granted, that was also due to the novelty factor, but still. I remember matches back then. Hero selection pops up, people don’t pick, they wait for each other, then the first guy picks Reinhardt? Why? Well, for the same reason if there are six people in a room and there’s a cake in front of them, they will all pause and the first one to go ahead and take a piece, will take the smallest piece of cake.
Everyone played every hero, because there was this inherent understanding that heroes are tools to be applied to certain situations and certain matchups etc.
I remember a guy in cbt, posting a screenshot of a player with like 100 hours on Mccree and that was their only hero and asked “what is this”. It was kinda bitterly funny, as he phrased it like that, it was so alien to him that he was like “what do I call this phenomenon”. The answers were like “lol wtf” and “I’ve seen a guy like that, but with Junkrat” etc. How innocent that seems now, eh?

This notion diminished so much and to such an absurd extent, that I literally saw a person saying how they are a FLEX player. Which actually meant “flex dps” - which again, actually meant “Tracer 95% of time and a bit of Genji if someone has a faster SSD”. I am not making this up. They weren’t even playing it up for laughs or as some kind of cynical setup, they were like “yeah, I flex to Genji sometimes”.

You have duo-queuing dps players, who instalock two dps characters in what is predominantly a 2-2-2 type of game. When you tell them how they are basically a single unit and they sealed off what’s usually the max number of slots for the most popular role in the game, they blankly state how 2-2-2 is fine and how they don’t see the issue, since 2-2-2 could still be built. Because, yeah, we all know people are dying to play healers, or even that roles are even roughly equally desired.

Hell, I am logged in on an alt account and I don’t even play that much since it became evident what direction you are going to decide on. This is highly indicative of absolute silliness of the whole system regarding the game in every aspect. I wouldn’t be surprised if majority of your player base has alt accounts. I doubt that’s because everyone likes to smurf, so, people are basically offsetting inherent issues by having more accounts. How is that a good system? I mean, financially that’s great for Blizzard, but will it pay off? For OW? For players? People are so used to this that they aren’t even aware of it anymore and regard it as a self-explanatory notion. “Oh yeah, let me hop onto my Tracer account and we’ll queue together, dude”.

All this because you guys wanted to have your cake and eat it too. You wanted to make a game for everyone. But, by “everyone” you didn’t mean people who flock to different play styles, but literally for everyone. Hey, sociopaths, welcome to our team-based multiplayer game with great liberties and you won’t be even chastised, what could go wrong?

Instead of going for the cheesy, but not untrue notion of “if you build it, they will come”, or in this case, if you build it properly, it will pay off in the long run. There are legendary multiplayer games that stood the test of time and they all had solid foundation and sense of fairness, sometimes even ruthless fairness (quake?), but fairness and an impeccable structure. These games perhaps weren’t quick to mesmerize, but were basically very slow snowballs.
You literally can’t make a “game for everyone”, not because I am being cynical, but because that’s a contradictory statement by itself. Because two guys will not budge on two opposing mechanics or things and that’s it, there goes your game for everyone. So, why not make a game that’s SOLID when it comes to its foundations and let “them come”?

I am sorry, but I am having troubles with believing in this naivety you are describing, due to everything I wrote above. Because, regular people, players, who aren’t experts at game design, saw, using logic, that something isn’t adding up, two and a half years ago and voiced that.
You saw that even better than them, you had numbers, you had statistics, you had surveys.

You said that there’s no bad and good direction in this sense. This will sound a bit cliched and simplified, but - are you joking?
You said you adapted to what the player base was doing. How so? Because, for that to be true, OW would have to be a glorious experience for a team with five dps’s selected. Because, that’s what players are doing.
Also, players will do what they can. Always. So, if a game breaking bug appears and players start to abuse it, will you “adapt to it”? No, you will patch it.
This comes off as a bit insincere.

I will stop here because I could go for hours and there’s no need for that because basically everything’s here. I am basically stunned by the part about naivety as I can’t, in the light of all this that happened and all this that I wrote here, not see it as “did my best to ignore” rather than “was being naive”.

186 Likes

I like this post. This is a good post.

29 Likes

By expecting people to switch more, you’re expecting them to like a wide variety of characters you put into the game. The problem is, the game features so many different heroes and prides itself with it’s variety. Both in looks and gameplay. Which means, you’re going to have to play characters that don’t remotely resemble the gameplay you’re looking for.

Just to give an example;
As someone who likes the more fps-esque heroes, i LOATHE playing Reinhardt and Mercy. I don’t care for their skill sets. Climbing as them is entirely meaningless to me. Yet, should we need them, i have to play them.

Overwatch needs more overlap.
I wouldn’t mind switching if the game didn’t shift from fps to first person world of warcraft.

30 Likes

This caught me off-guard too. It’s been a common phenomenon in any video game with any degree of playstyle customisation that people will have favourites.

25 Likes

Yes, I believe I addressed those points from multiple angles, by mentioning those traits that game can have, but not at the same time - one of them is a draft, you can “take one for the team” from time to time, as you would in a MOBA with a pre-match draft phase, where you soldier through that healer match because you will get your sweet love making with that AA assassin afterwards. This isn’t ideal, but I would argue (perhaps I am wrong), that such compromises exist by default in multiplayer activities, not just video games. Case in point - layup is extremely different from shooting a three and both are extremely different from playing defense, yet no one questions them and accepts the compromise of going through defense in order to enjoy that sweet layup finger roll.

But, this all can be scrapped if it doesn’t make players justice and players don’t want to shift from one extreme to the other and want to play one character or a subset of characters. Ok, but in that case, other traits have to be changed. Either composition isn’t that important then, which would allow for valid compositions consisting of popular heroes or we queue with a preselected character or there’s an ability to outplay the team as an individual etc. I am repeating myself, everything is up there in the OP.

Not everything needed to be changed, just one or two structural approaches. I am not having high hopes for this, though, my main point with this thread is to express disbelief in that claimed naivety, because I have witnessed a direction shift, ignoring and decisions that pointed to devs not being naive, but rather choosing a big initial boom in player base at the expense of the game’s integrity and longevity.

You decided to read this instead of a well known russian classic of the same length and have a good time. I am thankful:)

3 Likes

I am really confused by your whole post honestly. There’s so much that doesn’t add up in my head.

From what you wrote it appears to me that the whole design of this game is flawed and cannot be saved. Because it’s inherently up to players and people are different. If that’s the case, what’s the point of this thread? To air out your frustrations? Valid

One other thing I don’t understand is you are calling for ‘rigid sytems’ that would be in place in order to prevent people from one tricking. I hope you mean every single hero then. If you saw a reinheardt one trick you would implement this rigid system for them too right? even though the current meta favors him and he’s basically a must pick and someone can literally just play him and never be blamed for the loss. So how would you know if they’re just playing reinheardt for your match and doing EXCEPTIONAL, or if they’re just a one trick who can’t play anything else but rein but it doesn’t matter cause he’s always welcome. I would really love for you to elaborate on this. How would you solve the problem of people not reporting the rein or any other meta one trick simply because they won the game? Cause it would be required almost certainly in order for them to keep the game fair.

Another thing you mention is optimal compositions. In ow there are always 6 heroes who are meta, there’s always a combination of 6 heroes that dominates and has the best chances of winning. According to you, only these 6 heroes would be played until one of the pros changes the comp and then everyone else emulates? am i correct? So what happens when someone changes to a hero that’s not in the meta, and you go to check their profile and they don’t one trick that hero but have them as their most played hero, what then? Would you report them and put them through the ‘rigid system’ immediately or would you wait to see whether you win or lose to see if they deserve to be punished? Because even if the team comps are identical, one team will win, who do you report then? no one because they played optimal roles?

You talk about people picking 2 dps heroes in a 2 stack and that being selfish etc. Using words sociopaths as well. So who in your mind would be responsible for dictating roles of 6 ‘optimal’ heroes in a newely formed group of 6. The one with the highest SR? How would you decide who’s the most qualified person in the group of 6 who’d be responsible for assigning roles to each of their teammates. Considering you’re implying that picking whatever you wanna play is wrong without thinking about what team needs, someone needs to be appointed the team captain. How would you solve this issue, please do tell I’m really interested.

I would really like if you could answer some of these questions, I’m not even trying to be snarky I’m genuinely interested because I do agree with you to some extent but I’m a firm believer that forcing someone to play something they don’t like results in people getting angrier with the game, and eventually moving onto other games. As is the current situation with OW and goats, and APEX

8 Likes

While I agree with your post, there is no way he is going to respond. They only respond to things that make them look good.

Every complaint about throwing boils down to this issue. Enforcing a strict role queue instead of a player queue would eliminate many of the problems of the instant “Genji, Tracer, Widow, Hanzo, McCree” picks that happen at the beginning of every match.

16 Likes

I didn’t expect humans to behave like humans.

20 Likes

This is not Blizzard’s fault, but still players fault : it’s a team game, where you’re supposed to have fun yes, but for the vast majority of it you’re supposed to work for the team,

hence pouring some efforts into something you’re not comfortable with when needed; which means learning new mechanics (heroes) you’re not particularly familiar with

Is it a player’s fault when there’s nobody left who wants to play the game?

6 Likes

I do feel it’s worth mentioning that OW was intended to be a team game, where you que with a full 6 man team. Therefor, you could distribute the flexibility as needed.

3 Likes

you got a point :slight_smile:
But I think the departures are not related to this, more like game not giving enough game modes, events, etc (= content)

For 3 years now OW’s experience is just repeating the same maps over and over to get control over a number (SR)

I addressed many of these in the OP. I am a bit confused here - not being snarky here.

I am not advocating for anything, I am pointing flaws. I am not calling for rigid systems necessarily. I am saying that a game that’s structured in this way can’t have all those traits I mentioned at the same time. Which of those traits the game will keep is something fluid.

For example, they don’t have to limit anyone. But, in that case, composition-dependency and team-dependency would have to be lower. I even gave an example with eastern mmo’s as opposed to WoW.

Perhaps my post confused you because you look at specific examples - ie, your example of a reinhardt one trick. I was mainly talking about contradictions in general. Your reinhardt example is intervowen with the state of the game, that’s why it’s not really applicable to what I was saying, because the state of the game is the product of those decisions that were contradictory.
If people queued after selecting heroes, that example dissipates.
if heroes were versatile and less dependent, that example dissipates.
if compositions were less important, that example dissipates.

I am not saying these are great or whatever, but there are multiple of structural contradictions that prevent the game from being functional as a team-based multiplayer game.

All of your questions are basically pertaining to situations where the game isn’t changed. My post was about the game not being like this in the first place. They are also answered in the OP. I am having trouble with your last two paragraphs because they are literally addressed in the OP.

6 Likes

I understand, but not everything should be placed on the meta mechanics imo. Or why are there some players who can still manage to flex the whole roster and have fun with each hero ? (I am)

Take goat for example, should we say that everyone has to play goat with this logic. And then there are some teams who litteraly refuse to goat ^^

Before I reply to this, I will again say how I am the guy who had 300 hours on the only hero I dislike in the game and 34 minutes on my favorite hero.

Ok, that said:

“Fault” is an iffy term and here’s why. We can say that’s players’ fault in the moral sense, right?
But, it’s developers’ fault in the structural sense and that always trumps the former.

That’s why we have laws against murder (obviously, I am comparing the concept and not the act of murder with the act of onetricking - just to be sure, I’ve seen everything on the internet) and ways to act upon them, not just passive moral expectancy that people will behave.

In other words, yes, we can blame murderers, but ultimately, we will ask the state to regulate murders. And if murders are rampant, we will say how the system failed to regulate that area.

In multiplayer gaming, add anonymity and safety into the mix and you will get a lot more people abusing the system than if it were, say, a basketball court, where you can be literally beaten up if you behave antisocially or don’t work for the team.

How was this not predictable to developers?

6 Likes

The sad part is, even after they finally realized that most of the playerbase is in fact human they don’t change direction. Lazy toxicity inducing rock, paper, scissor, gengu jenga tower balance is still status quo and Jeff seems fine with it.

2 Likes

Thats what I addressed at the very beginning though, I was asking for more concrete ideas and solutions from you, provided you still wanted to play this game as it is. This is what I wrote: ‘From what you wrote it appears to me that the whole design of this game is flawed and cannot be saved. Because it’s inherently up to players and people are different.’

But now I understand you don’t believe this game functions the way you want it to function and there’s no concrete solution for any of these problems without changing the game from scratch, which isn’t really a solution but a redesign of the game. A game that wouldn’t be Overwatch anymore.

3 Likes

Eh, I don’t know, that’s debatable, I’d say. I think I touched upon this in the OP when I mentioned the “build it and they will come” principle, as opposed to carrot on a stick or junkie principle.

People played q3dm6 1v1 in q3 for decades, because the game is basically flawless and the map is a really, really good map.

2 Likes

perfectly valid point with excellent analogy. Some changes are needed I agree, but some, let’s say, efforts are still needed from the player’s side. (in comp of course, qp is a whole other topic)

The concept of effort is really complicated to accept in a videogame, though, as videogames are supposed to be played 100% for fun. It’s not easy design wise.

With all due respect to Jeff, that statement is profound… ly dumb. Everyone has their favorites, whether it be food, or TV shows, or people, or whatever. Same can be said for video game characters. The fact that he didn’t expect people to have favorites is just dumb.

8 Likes