A Friend with 5000 lootboxes and them auto opening in OW2

My friend has a small 5000 saved loot boxes (he opens 1 every 1000) and I was wondering, should we be worried when he logs onto Overwatch for the first time with OW2?

I’m honestly a bit curious, and also don’t want him to crash the servers or for the devs to somehow think he was cheating or something. (Or for it to break his game)

But I’m curious, would this be an issue? Or should having so many saved lootboxes not be an issue?

(Ps he hit 5000 last week so the number is not an exaggeration or anything.)

2 Likes

As far as I’m aware what’s in the lootbox is predetermined when you get it so I don’t see it as being an issue. Even if it would cause some kind of server load though there are tons of people with thousands of loot boxes, I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

3 Likes

First if all, why does your friend have that many unopened???

And secondly, why would the game think he’s cheating when it’s in-game content. Others have far more unopened boxes than he does.

Whatever was in the boxes are just automatically added.

1 Like

I would not worry about it. Remember that when you receive a Loot Box, the contents are already determined when you receive the loot box and not when it is opened. The opening is more or less a fanfare animation, so you can enjoy the surprise of what you get. I don’t have the details of what it will look like for the automatic opening, but we are more than aware some of you have been stockpiling through the years and will be ready for it.

40 Likes

the boxes aren’t actually “opened” when you click the button. The game already knows what you have once you get the box (this is why you cannot open them later to get new stuff and you won’t get dupes of items you already have until you’ve filled out that rarity) it just reveals it to you and adds it to your selectable items.

Your friend is just gonna have a LOT of “NEW” labels in their hero gallery… . if the gallery works the same that is.

It’s not any “extra” data going back and forth.

… aaand I got preempted by someone with far more authority to talk… listen to the blue text.

4 Likes

There should be an open all, it is baffling that there isnt.

14 Likes

Thank you so much for confirming!!

i wonder what the highest lootbox count is :eye:

2 Likes

Way to ruin the magic :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

That magic disappeared before the first event dropped and blizzard had to swoop in and let people know that saving their lootboxes prior to the event will not help.

5 Likes

Disco is correct. For context, here is the exact message from the Community Team way back in 2016.

Now that we’ve revealed our upcoming hero, Ana, we know that some of you may want to try to prepare for her arrival either by stocking up on Loot Boxes or holding off on opening the ones you already have.

Before you do that, though, please remember the following: Loot Box contents are generated at the time that they earned or purchased, NOT when they are opened.

This means that any Loot Box you earn or purchase now, or at any point before Ana is released, will not have a chance to contain her cosmetic items. Only those Loot Boxes that are earned or purchased after she is live and playable on your gaming platform will be eligible for her skins, sprays, voice lines, hero emotes, etc. (This is how the system will continue to work for future content updates, too.)

11 Likes

Wow, it is not everyday someone says disco is correct. It even comes from a blue text.

I think I might shed a tear.

7 Likes

I know this is RANDOM. Like really RANDOM!

But we need a answer to why Baby D.Va didn’t get the emote in the files. They use it during poses for events… :skull:

I know you can get answers now, because your on the INSIDE. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

While you are at it, can you get me a free copy of OW2?

People are talking crazy so I assume it’s super expensive

its also why you will not have an item drop if its already in another box…

like the last couple of times that theyve given out a golden loot box i havent opened them…but i HAVE whatever is in them already…so it wont drop in another box

if it was during an event i could tell exactly which items were in the box…cause no matter how many lootboxes i opened they wouldnt drop…i would get dupes of legendaries i already had…but whatever was in the legendary box would not drop (which i then just purchased so i could keep the gold box…for no reason whatsoever)

Opening animation takes like 10 seconds. You’re friend will watch 13 hours worth of I had anything to do with it >:|

1 Like

If I may offer a suggestion, add an option to skip or disable animations if they are long or repetitive.

3 Likes

Open all

(8 straight hours of being locked out of game.)

1 Like

What would one even expect to get with the currency switch-up? Kind of makes it feel pointless.

I was thinking more japanese anime seizure warning flash speed.

But really, since the contents are already pre-selected, how hard would it to be to click a button and give the person all those items/credits?

1 Like