A BTC video on Bastion's current state, and ideas to rework him

I somewhat agree with this, Hanzo’s rework benefited him but the other reworks Blizzard did to niche heroes (especially Symmetra) arguably made them feel worse to play.

I’d like for Bastion to be reworked but at the same time I don’t want to risk Blizzard ruining him further.
I want Blizzard to try and fix him the way he is currently before thinking about a rework. Reworks should be the very last option if all else fails.

2 Likes

Bastion’s ult is just not that great as it is.

Assuming all the little annoyances are left like:

• the long 1.5 sec transformation time in/out that leaves you unable to move or look, a de-facto stun
  • The extreme recoil kick on each shot that doesn’t act like any other hero’s recoil and is a necessity to animation cancel with self-repair
  • How incredibly loud it is in activation, operation, and firing
  • The incredibly cluttered HUD

Then what have you got? The weapon’s damage rate is really low, it’s only 200DPS, other than how it can burst damage to OHK 200HP heroes it’s got nothing. Take away that and maybe also no ironclad nor bonus armour and you’ve got a ready made E-ability. It should be on a long cooldown but just a slight damage nerf so it can’t OHK squishies will make it right on par with Torb’s overload.

I’d really like something fun, something unusual that’s not just “deal more damage of the same type” or “take less damage”.

Something like spraying oil and ball bearings over an area so that enemies who walks into that area struggles to stop their momentum and they just keep on sliding. Should make a push… interesting.

Or a smoke screen:

But enemy outlines would always be visible through the smoke to eliminate the troll potential. If two smokes were used together then each smoke would block seeing the outlines of the other team. It would be a “screen” the smoke grenades shot forward would detonate radially and make quite a thin screen of totally obscuring smoke. Like shoot a series of grenades rapid fire like how dva shoots mini-rockets, the explode after travelling a set distance.

Or the ult is something that only works in sentry mode and will put Bastion into sentry mode if Q is pressed and grants a special utility to sentry mode like the Minigun can shoot projectiles out of the air like DVA’s defence matrix.

Or the minigun gains massive spread and work like Reaper’s death blossom, dealing a fixed DPS to any hitbox within a 20 degree cone in front of bastion. Show loads of bullets flying but in game code terms there’s no individual bullets, it’s a cone affecting each hitbox within LOS to take 200DPS for 3 seconds then bastion is out of ammo. So a max of 600DPS to any single target.

This would drain a mag at 100 shots per second, 6000RPM, as fast as a minigun can fire and drain the 300 round “clip” in, of course, 3 seconds. It would be a channelled ability so cancelled with a stun.

“I don’t personally agree with what someone else is saying in an online video game Foru, so what he is saying is “pOiSoN””

Talking about BS here…

Lol I believe that he had some of the most reasonable claims I’ve ever seen in this game’s online community. He is one of the only supporters of Bastion buffs who also takes Bastion’s very powerful state in lower/mid ranks (AKA the 85% of the player base) into consideration and also understands that Bastion’s current design is so fundamentally flawed and busted, that only after he is reworked can he receive any significant buffs…

Umm nope, he’s just trying to find a solution that will not make Bastion outright broken for the 85% of the player base.

Many other people on the other hand, well let’s just say that they don’t give a **** as long as their favorite hero is gaining easy wins…

Umm what?

Hanzo as you said certainly became from a troll pick to a META pick for months due to the DragonGrav META.

Torbjorn, again from an outright troll and situational pick became a very effective one universally.

Symmetra, well, while she was and certainly is underpowered, the new kit itself is objectively much better. It’s less situational and frustrating and more skillful to use.

I certainly agree and respect that some people have pretty much lost the play styles that they’ve loved playing for years, but really, if you weight the damage out of the reworks, you’ll understand how overall beneficial and healthy they’ve been for the game.

His mythbusting/ability interaction videos are quality.

The rest… eh… not so much.

Used to be good. But now he’s not much different from the others, clickbaity titles, fake news, and just spits as many ideas as possible - that he rips directly off of the forums from other people without credit - that way he can claim “see I told you blizz was going to do this, and it was my idea, and they’re welcome for it, and i found out about the leak first”

As a Bastion player, I despise the idea.

3 Likes

because it strips old mechanics we loved from niche heroes
Barely anyone loves bastion mechanic so much they want to leave it
Bastion is not niche. He is trash. Like literally.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s fun to listen to, but its like listening at the bar with the guy who thinks he has all the answers to the worlds problems figured out… that’s why he’s at the bar drinking himself into a stupor…

1 Like

make him like ruckus from paladins.

thats basically what bastion should have been anyway. he can move and does a little less damage but its pretty similar

What’s so reasonable about saying you’re going to buff a hero and then do nothing but specify nerfs that would “allow” bastion to get unspecified buffs?

But… his only two options were massive nerfs.

What understanding has BTC shown?

None.

Just sweeping generalisations and conjecture on top of conjecture, no real analysis of how Ironclad biases staying in sentry mode and makes it too hard to buff self-repair to be good enough for Recon mode without being too good for sentry mode.

1 Like