90 percent of everyone under level 50 is a smurf

The title says it all. Just getting a lot of level 25-50s just shutting down the matches. Doomfists camping spawn, Widows blowing everyone away from the start. Nice policing of SR going on to make sure that “the MMR adjusts the SR to ensure that fair matches occur”. I mean it’s not like they’re camping bronze because they only have to pay $12 for a smurf account and there are no consequences for smurfing.

4 Likes

The devs specifically said today that buying a new account and playing like they normally do is fine. Throwing to reach low levels or selling the account as a boosted account is against the rules though.

So a smurf under level 50 is absolutely fine and does not violate any rules.

11 Likes

That’s what a smurf is. Smurf != alt account. So yes, a smurf is bad and does violate rules.

The OP is specifically talking about new accounts which would be an account around 50 levels or lower. Stay on topic.

buying a new account and playing your best is a smurf because your first few games will be around lower ranked players. You won’t be a smurf for long because it’ll just get your normal rank again.

2 Likes

My roommate quit the game at 8th level because he couldn’t even get out of the spawn area because of the huge number of widow smurfs. This is really ruining it for actual new players and you have to believe they knew this would be a consequence, yet there were no plans put in place to prevent it.

They are confident that those Widows will be adjusted to their skill rating before long. Not sure why they are… But they are!

That’s not what smurfing is… There’s a very important distinction I’m trying to clarify because his terminology is wrong. An account lower than level 50 is not the same as a smurf.

last comp match i played (been not playing for 2 weeks now) the enemy team had a lvl 47 3300 smurf while we had a 2800 plat that didn’t know anything about the game and he just got placed in that rank cause he is high rank in cs go and has good aim.

If you’re smurfing but are at a low level and rank in comp you are a smurf until it reaches your normal rank. Since when has smurfing required throwing games beforehand? Doesn’t it just have to be you playing with lower ranks? That can be on a new account.

anyways whatever you say about it doesn’t matter because the devs think playing at lower ranks with a new account will just get you ranked properly so you can’t report it. And they call it smurfing.

1 Like

No a smurf is an account that deliberately throws to purposely play against lower players. Someone who just happens to be paired against them but is still trying to rank up is not a smurf.

???
They have never called it smurfing.

Serious question: Is smurfing cheating?

In context (the thread name he responded to) Jeff calls it smurfing.

3 Likes

Except that is a matter of opinions
I always called smurfs AND alts “smurfs”, that is until I joined the forums and realized that the handful of forum goers use smurf as a negative connotation towards low level accounts of player purposely throwing/runining games

Maybe Aria will make a thread dumpstering Jeff for not understanding smurf terminology.
Look at this ugly font spacing I can’t even tell^ there’s a space between ‘dumpstering’ and ‘Jeff’ but apparently there is.

He did not use the word smurf anywhere in that post.

Someone asked if smurfing is cheating, he answered directly to a question about smurfing what is and isn’t against the rules. He didn’t go and put that on a thread about someone complaining about throwers, he put it on a thread specifically talking about smurfs.

Is there any official data to back up your 90% claim, or is it just a number you pulled out of thin air based on your own anecdotal experience?

He provided a clarification because the term is often and mistakenly used to refer to both. His clarification that alt accounts (not smurfs) are perfectly fine, and that accounts that throw (smurfs) are bad and are punishable.

It’s history is based on players who create fake accounts to fool people that are worse than them into playing them so they can win. It’s not really an opinion, the word is just very commonly misused.

You don’t have to throw to smurf.

Oh and I found this definition on google.

I found others but they all said the same thing (not exact wording but always a new account/new username to fight new players)

Nope
It’s not misused
It was used to describe 1 thing but then one day someone used it to associate to the negative connotation of it and some people started referring to it as only that while many more still use the term for both sides of the spectrum.

If they quit that quickly, then they just didn’t like the game. It had nothing to do with smurfs.