The Future of Overwatch Esports

The Future of Overwatch Esports

Introducing the new Overwatch Esports program and the Overwatch Champions Series

View Full Article

15 Likes

How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, old man?!

53 Likes

Well the faceit and dreamhack involvement was not what I was expecting

2 Likes

Owl had a different model and relied on advertisements a lotā€¦ it seems therebdoing somethingā€¦ different?

But theyā€™ve sorta removed the middle man tho Im sure advertisements will still show up to help with finances.

3 Likes

This should be a much better and sustainable format. Honestly, this is what we needed years ago to grow the Overwatch esports scene. Better late than never, I suppose.

8 Likes

it seems like a more traditional approach on a quick skim
Which i welcome.

2 Likes

As an avid fan and viewer of Overwatch e-Sportsā€¦

This is absolutely huge!

Please bring back the replay viewer so we can watch all of these pro matches in-client!

:astonished:

13 Likes

will owl tokens be converted to a new currency or will the old owl skins become unobtainable perhaps?

5 Likes

Soā€¦ 7 years till this dies out right?

Cool. I like watching trainwrecks in slow-motion :+1:

12 Likes

Create a clan wars system like GUnz

Let the community do the eSports and see it grow

4 Likes

Do participants have to use Faceit anticheat? (Iā€™m asking for a friend)

3 Likes

Huge announcement !

However ā†’
"What happens to the Path to Pro in-game rewards?

We will no longer be offering Overwatch 2 Contenders Home & Away skins as viewership incentives with the retiring of the Contenders branding."

Meaning that we didnā€™t get a single chance to get some of them because they never appeared in viewer rewardsā€¦ :c

4 Likes

Is this PC only exclusive players or will there be something for console players separately? Thereā€™s still a good portion of console players that would want to participate. Overall, it seems exciting and Iā€™m looking forward to Dreamhack!

Also please people, donā€™t reply to me saying no one cares about console players, Iā€™m just asking and donā€™t want the harassment.

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks

While they didnā€™t talk about console at all, I highly doubt console is part of this. Seeing how they have the couple big international tournaments, all the regional ones etc. I canā€™t imagine there being a console version, without them mentioning it.

Cool n all but whereā€™s the Dva buffs?

1 Like

The future of OW esportā€¦ is nonexistent.

6 Likes

Do they have that much pro interest? First go failed miserable for them. So what makes them think that the second go will be any better? The devā€™s still have many issues with balance, metaā€™s being stale quickly. How will things like that be addressed? Otherwise itā€™s going to be mirror match after mirror match forever.

Do they have any advertisers on line to help? Sure the ones they had have a sour taste from the first go. How do they intend to deal with cheats? They havenā€™t addressed the ones in game, so what is to stop them from being used in esports?

1 Like

I mean at this point you canā€™t even say its the suits up top strong-arming them into it anymore.

You better release ā€œThe Future of Overwatch PvEā€ next week

2 Likes