Director’s Take – A Designer’s Journey into Sombra’s Rework

Director’s Take – A Designer’s Journey into Sombra’s Rework

Andre Abrahamian from Hero Design breaks down Sombra’s new kit and gameplay in the Latest Director’s Take

View Full Article

10 Likes

This will be juicy to read and to look at the Sombra players reaction.

After reading: Pretty good! I think I might try to learn the new Sombra. Never got into the old playstyle. Very exited!

1 Like

Bring 6v6 back :moyai:

35 Likes

Sombra

Machine Pistol

• Damage increased from 7.5 to 8.
  • Minimum Spread reduced from 0.5 to 0.
  • Number of shots until max spread has been increased from 3 to 6 shots.
  • Reload time reduced from 1.4 seconds to 1.2 seconds.

Hack

• Cast time reduced from 0.75 seconds to 0.65 seconds.
  • Now cancels Stealth when hacking an enemy hero.
  • Cooldown increased from 4 to 6 seconds.
  • Hack has a reduced cooldown of 3 seconds if Hack is interrupted or if a non-hero enemy is hacked.
  • The “Hacked” warning text will now only appear while you are silenced and not for the remainder duration of the hack debuff.

Opportunist

• Removed.

Stealth

• Ability reworked to be a passive. Sombra automatically becomes invisible after 3.5 seconds while not shooting, using a damaging ability, or receiving damage.
  • Stealth movement speed bonus reduced from 60% to 45%.
  • Fade Out duration into Stealth reduced from 0.375 seconds to 0.25 seconds.
  • Fade In duration from Stealth reduced from 0.5 seconds to 0.375 seconds.
  • Updated the UI messaging to the Sombra player when hacking Health Packs to “Revealed” instead of “Detected”. Now the message “Detected” is only used when an enemy player is in the detection radius.

Virus

• This is a new ability assigned to Ability 1 by default.
  • Fire a projectile that damages an enemy over time. Damage is dealt faster on Hacked enemies.
  • Impact Damage: 10 (20 on hacked target).
  • Damage over time: 100 over 4 seconds (100 over 2 seconds on hacked target).

Translocator

• Can no longer can be manually activated. Translocator will now automatically teleport Sombra after 0.25 seconds from being thrown or when impacting the environment.
  • Reduces the Stealth passive cooldown after teleporting.
  • Projectile speed increased from 25 to 72.
  • Cooldown reduced from 6 seconds to 5 seconds. Cooldown now begins after Sombra teleports to the location of the Transponder.
  • Projectile launch initial vertical offset removed.

EMP

• Ultimate charge cost increased by 15%.
  • Health percent damage decreased from 40% to 30%
5 Likes

Minimum Spread reduced from 0.5 to 0.

does that mean actual hitscan for first 3 bullets? :smiling_imp:

ill be completely honest…i dont have much of an issue with the reason for the changes or the logic behind the decisions…

curious to see if it actually pans out as good game play though

3 Likes

Wow :eyes:

Her gun was buffed in 4 different ways (more damage, less starting spread, more bullets to max spread, faster reload), hack cast time reduced, fade in/out of stealth time reduced, and a new ability that deals 100 damage alongside her buffed gun? :eyes:

Eager to try these myself! Sounds a lot more engaging. On paper, sounds pretty good.

7 Likes

in 2 secs if hacked…i know there are many things in game that do more than that in less time…but that puppy is guaranteed…and sombra doesnt even have to be engaged at that point…and on a skill shot (take notes moira orb)…not too shabby…

Very interesting article thanks Aaron!

I really hope to see this game come to more cloud gaming services if possible! The sooner the better so that I can enjoy the game on non-compatible platforms!

:heartpulse:

You could change the name into “Clueless devs who don’t play their own game, after smoking that wazoooo make changes just to justify the paycheck”.

30 Likes

Looks like…

From stealth…

Hack, then Virus, Then spray with gun - throw beacon if it starts looking dicey.

You absolutely can drop a target before hack is over, and may do so even if you have bailed, as… an extra 50 DPS from virus is pretty beefy.

I think it will be fun for Sombra, and I’ll play it, but…

I think it will be hell for people playing against her… in a way that old assassin sombra wasn’t. Virus will be crazy hated.

So I don’t expect this build to last, and she will be nerfed out, and another rework will be scheduled.

But it will be fun while it lasts.

5 Likes

Sombra went from sidelane Flanker to frontline nerfed 76 who may or may not sometimes be able to drop that hack onto a tank and in the slightest possibility the enemy team DOESNT have any healers at all the new “Virus” and POSSIBLY after 8+ seconds of her combo MAYBE get in some good dmg.

OR you could just never take a nerfed Sombra and take an actual Flnker or frontliner that can actually accomplish something for your team.

From Hacker to throw pick in one “rework”.

Slowclap.

10 Likes

I’m really not a fan of the new translocator change, it seems like you have a lot less control and options when using it. Even limiting old translocator to a short range, the ability to activate it at any time let her have some interesting ways to use it.

Stealth having any fade out duration will make it really uncomfortable to use, as you effectively have lag before you can do anything.

Overall, I hope that she gets some major tweaking.

10 Likes

nah, what the hell is this? on top of 100 DoT in two seconds? have fun exploding as a support lol, all the op cooldowns in the game won’t save you from that (but it does make suzu even more valuable lol)

4 Likes

if she is getting 100 Dot on Kiriko, then Suzu isn’t going to help (you know, because hacked). Maybe if you are after the other support it would, but she is going to wreck Kiriko in a lot of ranks.

I used to use Sombra to hunt Kiriko’s now… but damn this is doing to be lethal.

3 Likes

How???

THE moment hack is on Kiri she just teleports to get it off or she Suzu’s. Either way you will NEVER kill a Kiriko now. EVER. Maybe in metal ranks but anything above Bronze?

Lol…

2 Likes

suzu removes the dot effect tho, just like ashe dynamite. plus it heals a ton because virus is a debuff and suzu heals more when you cleanse a debuff

2 Likes

Yikes. That’s so bad on so many levels.

8 Likes

Suzu isn’t instant, nor is teleport, and hack is faster.

more importantly, if you go for a hack, and she interupts it by burning an ability… then my friend, you have already burnt either teleport or Suzu, and you haven’t applied virus, AND you have hack back faster.

That is STILL a win.

If you are doing 100 damage in 2 seconds, then the target is hacked and she isn’t using Suzu, not for the first bit of it anyway :slight_smile:

If you land hack, between virus and that gun upgrade (or just the gun… I mean damn), she isn’t going to survive getting her abilities back if you don’t mess up.

but at same time her escape ability is severely reduced…how far away can she travel with the new translocate i wonder

1 Like

18 meters, so… not a bad distance.