Defense Matrix – Text Chat Changes, Stopping Cheating, and Improving Reporting

Defense Matrix – Text Chat Changes, Stopping Cheating, and Improving Reporting

In our latest update to our Defense Matrix initiative, we’re sharing new changes to make the Overwatch 2 experience fun and fair.

View Full Article

9 Likes

What do I do when a pre-made group starts FALSELY telling the entire match chat that I’m using slurs against them just because they are mad that I won’t play the exact hero they demand?

So far the solution has been…just get falsely banned anyway.

58 Likes

I think we were in dire need of something like this!

It’s great to see new tools being added to combat the problem!

I just want to address one sentence from the post:

The first is Fair is Fun, meaning all players should have the same level playing field when it comes to the game.

In reality I’m not sure this can ever be the case with Pay to win elements or grind to win elements such as heroes locked at a certain level!

(I do of course understand that the reality of the game is that it needs to make money one way or another!)

Starting this season, we are removing the Unfiltered text chat option from the social menu, since this allowed harmful language and phrases that have no place in our community.

What about banter between friends?

Removing the unfiltered option doesn’t seem to be a good idea in my opinion!

(Players will always find ways around text filters anyway!)

:wink:

6 Likes

ai still makes plenty of mistakes though we need to quit relying on ai to do things

7 Likes

This all sounds great, but can we touch on inappropriate suspensions/silences? It feels like these things happen with ZERO human interaction on Blizzard’s part. Like they just get enough “reports” and a system goes “click…okay…no game for you for 2 weeks”. I have seen multiple topics and can relate myself when suspensions did not feel deserved.

25 Likes

So I was right - y’all tuned something in the backend which resulted in a massive banwave / “silencewave” of people.

Listen, as long as your reports remain automated and appeals non-existent, you need to be VERY careful about how you apply penalties. It’s no secret that the easiest way to be actioned is through comm bans, in fact, high rank players who wish to target someone to be punished because they perceive them to be griefing will ONLY report for comm abuse, and because this is numbers-based and literally everyone has done something “actionable”, it will be actioned.

Additionally, your team will take logs out of context and say “aha you used an oopsie word here, ban upheld!” Which is disingenuous and frankly quite scary.

Also, does this system take into effect “bullying” i.e. a 4-stack reporting their lone teammate en masse?

My advice to everyone who plays this game is to completely abstain from all text communication, and minimize voice communication to bare minimum interactions such as “Tracer on high ground” because no matter how you think you’re behaving, someone will spin it if they feel like it.

29 Likes

You said it! This is kinda where I was going, but without as much detail. It feels all it takes is a few crybabies to not like how you communicate or you simply swear too much (and I do swear…often…) and a robot goes “no more chat or game for you for a month!”. That needs to stop. Focus on things like harassment and racism and less on a little trash talk common in games and sports. The fact that “gg ez” is filtered into something else is insane to me. Grow a spine people.

7 Likes

So still nothing on the ximmers? These are the only active cheaters in the game and nothing has been done other than a comment a few months ago…

10 Likes

I think it would be nice if you guys detailed what measures you take to detect false reporting. What kind of validation is used to detect when players are being falsely reported? E.g. if they’ve been reported for abusive chat, have they actually been abusive?

While I’m certainly taking people at their word sometimes, there have been some people claiming recently that they’ve gotten reported and actioned when they dont even used the chat functionality. Is this true, or are they just lying to us? Do stacks reporting other players amount to anything significant? Or is that just adding a bunch of instances to the report counter making it easier for that player to get actioned if people abuse the system?

11 Likes

Notice how XMI users are still giving the OK to cheat. I guess Console comp is not important.

14 Likes

Great, cool, but please get back to us when people who abuse the system with false reports start getting punished too, and you stop banning the victims of said false reports.

Also, as far as I know, my reports have meant nothing for at least a couple of years now, and I’ve NEVER abused the system. I only reported things that I confidently believed to be against the code of conduct. I didn’t even get a report action notification after the bullying incident that was the last straw towards me turning off all chats, spare group chat. I’ve even tried waiting a long time before reporting any more clearly inappropriate battletags, in case that would convince them that I don’t report :sparkles: too much. :sparkles: Still nothing whatsoever.

Please tell me why I should believe that any of my reports matter.

9 Likes

thats a reason why i am against them using ai its to flawed it cant tell a legit from a troll report

4 Likes

Starting this season, we are removing the Unfiltered text chat option from the social menu, since this allowed harmful language and phrases that have no place in our community.

Could you please still allow unfiltered in group chat? Many of my friends use vulgar language for humor and not in an offensive manner.

3 Likes

meaning all players should have the same level playing field when it comes to the game.

I guess those that haven’t paid to unlock heroes don’t count?

hypocrites

10 Likes

now if only they invested in AI anticheat. can you imagine how much better that will work!

2 Likes

" Combating Cheating at its Source

Cheaters are never fun to play with, and we have a zero-tolerance policy toward cheating and botting in Overwatch 2. Since Overwatch 2’s launch, we’ve detected and banned over 250,000 accounts for cheating."

Wowza

Ok I have to teach you.
“Soy boy” is a stupid insult for two reasons.
People use it as an insult because soy has estrogen in it, a female hormone, so you are calling women weak by using it as an insult. Congrats on your sexism? Also it would take hundreds of gallons from the estrogen in the soy to actually cause any significant effect besides weight gain.
Swearing is immature, but also unbecoming of an adult, very unintelligent way of speaking. Your response says volumes… especially threatening me with violence

3 Likes

we are removing the Unfiltered text chat option from the social menu, since this allowed harmful language and phrases that have no place in our community.

Hmm… if only there was an option to filter that language so that the people who didn’t want to see it wouldn’t see it. Oh well, I guess that must not be possible and we just have to censor everyone

8 Likes

I thought it was because it was hypoallergenic and vegan.

1 Like

Shame blocking doesn’t exist on the forum…I will just have to “ignore” you since you like to start attacking for one’s opinions then play victim. Typical.

1 Like