Competitive Play Update – Teaming up for better matches

Competitive Play Update – Teaming up for better matches

With Season 5 now underway, we have some improvements going into Competitive Play starting this season

View Full Article

7 Likes

Will the better matchmaking cost $15 as well by any chance?

70 Likes

Once they hit grandmaster, just ban their accounts and email them to touch grass. Can’t believe it’s that small there :joy:

4 Likes

They implement a 5 people Q but nothing about a solo Q to avoid facing premades as a solo player.

GOOD JOB

21 Likes

Why even bother having MMR if player performance isn’t a factor? Just use SR if that’s the case

9 Likes

It’s nice that they keep trying to make matchmaking changes for ranked, but seems like none of the other modes get any. And it has been quite a mess for the past few seasons now.

5 Likes

For there to be more GM players than there should be, I’m surprised by how small the rank actually is compared to the others

Welp they tanked the player base 18-25 million on launch(PVEMODE RIGHT) down to 739,989- 400k avg active prior to PVE is cancel announcement than dropped to 100k active after they said they were charging for first wave/batch base PVE archive mode.

So the reason ranked felt effy all of a sudden is cause the player base took massive dump.

Do number’s lie? Only thing that will bring % player base back is after Activision gets eaten by Microsoft.

5 Likes

Let’s take a look at this

Yeah, imagine having to pay for games. That is a totally new concept. I loved when Nintendo gave me a Super Nintendo with all the games free of charge.

1 Like

where are these numbers from

2 Likes

Could be completely made up as far as we know. We don’t get numbers to look at because then we could see exactly where we stood, where our teammates stood and where our opponents are.

Then, if they’re reasonably close and we get stomped we know it wasn’t because of skill difference, it was because we just played poorly.

You know… like the rating and stats we get in literally every single other FPS game out there.

4 Likes

It is an average #'s of the data I have collected since PvE cancel announcement. I defended Activision for Blizzard too long they ruined too many Blizzard IP that I “Played” for me to just stay silent while Xenomorph Activision runs rampant till Predator Microsoft fixes or ruins things further.

1 Like

“18-25 mil at launch, 100k concurrent now” so you made these numbers up?

You made those up. Blizz has no site that tracks them and all other sides are guessing the number. I would even say those number would only be the players with an open profile, because some sites like Overbuff can track those stats.

Its guessing at best and most likely completely made up. You can try to make it look like the cancelation of future PvE stuff in a PvP game had a huge impact, but in reality its just not that big of a deal and most new OW2 players did not even know OW2 was supposed to be for PvE.

I have also seen sites that have OW next to Valorant in terms of playerbase. Its my guessed numbers against yours lol

2 Likes

can you please for the love of sweet baby jesus just revert everything matchmaking/competitive to how it was in ow1

4 Likes

While we think this distribution of ranks is working well in general, both Grandmaster and Bronze reflect a very wide range of skill, and we want to make sure that skill is well-represented.

Specifically, we have found that more players have ended up in Bronze 5 than we want. This is mostly an unintended side effect of adding MMR decay for inactive players in Overwatch 2. We’ve started making incremental adjustments in Season 5 to enable more players to climb out of Bronze 5 in a way that doesn’t upset the distribution of the curve. This is an issue we plan to closely monitor in future weeks and seasons.

Gonna be real, I have -5 clues as to what this means.
Like does this mean B5 is such a big gap between the worst performers and the best B5 can offer but is also flooded by accounts that were de-ranked into B5 so they’re lowering the bar for entry into B4?

I’m not sure I exactly follow this point, especially when it is directly preceeded by

This is a good thing as it shows that many of our players are growing in skill. In any case, we want to make sure we make the top ranks feel competitive.

If you’re nerfing barriers of entry isn’t that undermining competitive integrity? Like Doesn’t it make more sense to add more divisions if there’s a massive skill gap between the worst and best instead of artificially boosting the best half up a division or two?

I’d understand if there was something broken with the MMR, or inactive accounts all reading B5, or really anything outside of players control forcing them to place and stay at any rank, but if I don’t meet the skill check I shouldn’t get awarded a rank climb because “Ooopsie poopsie not enough Diamond+ players according to our skill curve.”

The MMR breakdown doesn’t really help explain the matchmaker either. It’s really pointing to just win more 4-head. Like how is that first bullet point “Your skill rating vs opponents skill rating” even calculated? Is it performance based at least slightly, or is it entirely win=bigger number more challenging opponents, lose=smaller number worse opponents. Obviously you don’t need to go so far as unveiling the whole system, but like, say my team just smokes the enemy team obliterated them, we’ll say my team had the lower MMR total for now, do we get penalized with our MMR readjustment for lacking stats? Does the enemy team get a further reduction of stats for the one-sided nature of that particular match? Do stats have any effect at all? If a game’s super close and both teams are playing personally phenomenal games the losers lose MMR, but does the system weigh how close the match was, does it process that a team/player is playing beyond their usual level or does it offer the same penalization to every winning or losing player unless they’re effected by the new/returning player modifier?

I appreciate the attempt at clarity, but I really think those two points might need a little more in depth explanation.

3 Likes

Itl b funny if owl teams start scrimming in tge new mode lol

I think the rank distribution isn’t good.

It seems like there needs to be a rank added between gold and Platinum.

League of Legends has had to do this as well, there was a wide discreprency in skill between low bronze and high bronze and low gold and high gold so they added new tiers.

4 Likes

…what?

SR doesn’t exist anymore. MMR is SR now.

1 Like