8% Rank Progress in Silver with Uphill Battle Win and POTG

WTF do I have to do to climb? I am now getting 8% rank progress on a win with Uphill Battle and POTG. I was DPS and then went Support. If I lose a game, I drop 20-25%, but when I win I get 8%. What is wrong with those numbers? Never gonna climb out of silver if that’s how the system works!

Did you go back up a rank after that win? It only shows what’s left over in the new rank.

Nope. I only increased 8% towards the next rank up.

I believe your takings are adjusted based on the ranks of your teammates and opponents. E.g. if you’re playing on a team of silver 5s against a team of bronze 1s, you’re not going to get as much progression if you win and you’ll lose more progression if you lose. Same as in chess, actually: a grandmaster playing against a 1500-rated opponent might not gain any elo at all for their win.

well first of all, getting POTG means absolutely nothing as far as rank/MMR adjustments are concerned, so lets discard that variable right away

second - were you in a group with at least one player of a much higher rank? If you were, the rank adjustment gets smaller the further apart in rank between the group members.

third - if that’s not the case, then your MMR might be a lot lower than your shown rank so it’s trying to “align” them

finally, maybe it’s just broken and/or bugged. This wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) surprise anyone.

They should give double sr for potg. Or half sr loss for the loser who got it. I cant really see how it would be commonly abused and it gives you something to play for even in stomps which are sadly a majority of games.

You could give it to the player who stays in a 1v5 it would be a nice gesture of good sportsmanship.

Then everyone would just play Junkrat for the SR gain.

Yeah they would obviously have to fix potg to make it fair for all heroes. But Junk potg currently is not that ez. I had a 4k tire that lost to a 2k dva bomb.

prob depends on how much HP the targets had

a Dva bomb that kills two full HP heroes will get POTG over a junk tire that finished off 4 players who had 20HP each

Game thinks you’re a silver player and is now doing it’s damnedest to hold you at that rank.

Looks like it’s doing an efficient job.

1 Like

Blizz will never admit a mistake when they are wrong about something so its not surprising that neither will the matchmaker. If it says youre silver youre silver unless you have a popular streamer pass.