700+ Hours on Torb [PTR Rework]

Hey y’all this is JetPackCat here. I’ve got over 700 hours on Torbjorn on xbox. Heck, I love him so much I even bought two gold weapons for him (the hammer and the gun).

So what’s my opinion on this re-work of Torb?

Let’s talk turrets!

1. Turret placement cooldown is a crippling change, mitigated only slightly by the auto-upgrade of the turret.
  2. Throwing turrets? Um. Well, sure, I can throw it on top of a ledge or behind an enemy, but if it lands in slightly the wrong spot, I have to wait 10 seconds to try again. And throwing it behind the enemy just seems worthless in many cases. It almost seems like you’re supposed to save your turret until you get caught 1v1 vs someone.
  3. No level 3 turret? Who actually thought the level 3 was overpowered? We all actually agreed that what the level 3 needed was a buff (level 1 auto upgrades to 3 and the turret remains level 3 even if Torb dies). [clarification: remains at level 3 during molten core only, duh]
  4. Auto-upgrade… very nice, but not really worth the trade-off. Here’s why: if someone is shooting your turret while you’re upgrading it, then in Torb 2.0 they’re shooting your turret while it’s upgrading itself and maybe you can get off one shot with your rivet gun while your turret is taken down in one second. Then you get to wait 10 seconds to put up a new turret. OK.

[edit: someone said it continues to upgrade even if it takes damage. that’s a good thing]

Come get your armor!

1. Torb no longer makes armor because Brigette makes armor, and this is really the absolutely dumbest change that has been made because someone seems determined to push Brigette’s broken concept even further.
  2. OP Brigette + F-Tier Torbjorn was too tough for people, so instead of buffing Torb and nerfing OP Brigette, they did the opposite.
  3. Making armor is core to Torb’s character. It’s also one of the few things a team actually likes about him, since they often can’t see his turret is actually helping them kill things. So many iconic voicelines down the toilet in order to save Brigette.
  4. I can throw out 40 armor packs in a game. The “feast or famine” idea really only applies to the times when your team is being destroyed, or you as Torb are being singled out.

MOLTEEN COOOORE

1. More like “molten die” because while it’s pretty cool (and possibly OP) to have this ability every 12 seconds, it seems like the devs didn’t consider that the old molten core was only powerful because it lasted a long time and the turret was upgraded to level 3. A Torb out of LoS of his turret during molten core is only trying not to die.
  2. It might be OP, but it’s not going to have an effect like Hanzo’s storm arrow, because Torb’s hitbox is still huge and he can’t make armor to bolster his defense.

LAVAAAA SPRAYYYY

1. Again, we just got a new hero with area denial (Wrecking Ball) as an ult. This seems like someone just really wanted a hero to have a flame thrower and talked someone else into getting rid of Torb’s ult to give him a flamethrower. I’m sure these pools of lava will be a deterrent… well, except to Doomfist, Genji, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Wrecking Ball, Anyone Who Has Mobility, Anyone Who Can Shoot From A Distance.
  2. And if it works… great, but it just seems boring as heck. They got it reversed… the lava spray should be his 12 second ability, something like Mei’s Ice Wall.

Stop… Hammer Time

1. His hammer was useless before, and now that the turret auto-upgrades, it’s even more useless. Why couldn’t they have added an ability to his hammer instead of coming up with weird stuff that ignores the fact that he has a hammer?

What we Wanted and Got

1. Fixed reload speed of main and alt fire.
  2. Auto-Upgrading turrets.
  3. [edit to add] Forgot that we also wanted the ability to control what the turret shoots to some extent, and we got that.
    [edit] his head hitbox size was decreased

What we Needed but Didn’t Get

1. Two options for the turret so that Torb could have some kind of variety like old Sym used to have.
    We wanted him to have a Turret that could help the team on attack, you know, like maybe an option for a flamethrower turret. Oh wait, they made that his ult. OK.
    We wanted Torb to have some kind of ability to use against shields. We don’t have that now.
  2. Headbox fix {see above}
  3. A hammer worth using in close combat
  4. Level 1 turret upgrades to Level 3 with molten core
  5. Molten Core re-loads weapon (Does it do this now?)
  6. We didn’t want more damage, we just wanted a little more versatility and ability to live.

Your armor is gone now… don’t bother coming to get it. Torbjorn loved you and now this has happened. No more armor.

12 Likes

700 hours on Torb sounds like a punishment a judge would give to people convicted of especially heinous crimes.

46 Likes

700 hours? How often were you banned?

14 Likes

I mean, I definitely don’t have 700+ hours on Torb, but here are my thoughts when skimming through your post:

Don’t forget that you can now choose targets for the turret to shoot too. (Edit: I see that you edited this in)

Except Torb’s new ult directly counters this.

Firstly, a petty correction, the ability is called Overload; “Molten core” is still used for his ultimate.
Secondly, he gets 150 armour instantly and a speed boost? How would he die in this situation especially if he’s got healers?

Also don’t forget that you can essentially stop the enemy entirely by blocking spawn doors etc.
I saw a clip where they blocked the defenders doors to the point on the second point of Eichenwalde for example.

And lastly, don’t forget about the changes to his primary and secondary fire, because from what I’ve seen they’re a lot more consistent and reliable now.

14 Likes

I thought that level 3 turret was stupid and objectively OP. I also like they removed armor giving because armor in general is annoying to deal with. And was you buying 2 torb gold guns supposed to be a joke or something…?

4 Likes

With all that time spent hammering, he could have built himself an actual barn.

5 Likes

I’m very excited for his rework. He can be used in more situations and do things quicker.

And the potential meme plays for his ultimate :drooling_face::drooling_face:

2 Likes

torb spurting out globs of lava

DON’T GET CAUGHT WITH YER BEARD IN THE LAVABOX!

this is exactly what people said about Symmetra’s most recent rework.

And they weren’t wrong ? Deploy quicker, teleport faster. The meme plays were there. She’s just a poorly designed hero overall

1 Like

No excuse me, you haven’t seen my sick plays where I just go Attack Hammer Only Torb. Hammer is great, Im glad it stayed.

2 Likes

You can destroy it and get a 5 sec cd instead? I think. Tho I agree, I would like a “hold shift” functionality where we place it old school way instead.

1 Like

That’s in there . . .

3 Likes

I heard someone say that, but I didn’t see it in the Dev note I read or the video I watched, so that’s another good thing to add.

Am I reading this right, you think torb should always be able to have a level 3 turret?

It’s the first Torb change listed in the patch notes.

5 Likes

What I mean is molten core should raise a level 1 to a level 3, and that if Torb dies during molten core, the turret should remain at level 3 for the normal duration of the ult (instead of reverting as soon as he dies).

That’s because his ult is the kind that can’t be “interrupted” so it is supposed to stay after his death, excluding Sombra’s hack of course.

What if:

• Hammering teammates creates armor, more you hammer more armor they get up to 75.

(Lemme hammer da butt and giff armor)

4 Likes

Wouldn’t you agree that his ultimate is area denial enough without the level 3 turret though?

1 Like

I’m not very experienced with torb. But I heard good things about the rework from infamous fuey500.

To me personally it seems like a good rework.

2 Likes